The Student Room Group

oxidation numbers

Just need help in clarifying a few things. I think I understand that the oxidation numbers of monatomic ions are the charges on the ions apart from hydrogen when joined to a metal, oxygen in H202 and F2O, and electronegative atoms in compounds (correct me if I'm wrong!).
But what does "In neutral molecules the sum of the Ox. Num.'s is zero and in ions the sum of the Ox. Num.'s is the same as the charge on the ion." How do you know if a molecules neutral? :confused:

Thanks
Reply 1
The general rule is that atoms found in their natural state always have an oxidation state of zero, even if it is diatomic. So 'C' is zero, H2 is zero, Cl2 is zero etc.

edit: sorry I just re-read your post. You know a molecule is neutral if it has no overall charge. So H2O is neutral (ignoring polarity) whereas [H3O]+ has a plus one charge. All that sentence means is that if you add up the oxidation numbers they will always add up to the overall charge (or zero in the case of a neutral molecule)
Reply 2
Thanks that makes more sense now. The way it was worded was unclear...well to me anyway! :p:

Latest