The Student Room Group

Should I drop out of uni after a couple of weeks?

Just moved into University and already i'm really missing home. I know this is probably natural but for me its getting me depressed and really upset.

I've already met some good people and had a good laugh but I can't stop thinking about home. I was always put off going to uni for this same reason but I just wanted to see what uni life was like - hell, I'm not even that motivated for my course.

I'm missing my parents (who are my best friends as I used to work with them and see them all the time) and my surroundings and I can't help but think life is too short to be unhappy.

Here's my dilemma.

Do I stay at uni, try and get used to it, give it a chance but then if I do drop out have to repay tuition fees? (which is the least of my worries)

Or, do I look like a complete failure and drop out within a fortnight, but save paying fees back and become my old, happy self again?

I feel like my dad especially wants me to come home, he never wanted me to go and has been crying on the phone since I got here which has made me even more upset whereas my mum misses me but wants to see me do well at uni.

At home, aside from my parents and close family, I don't have a social life. Which is why I needed experience university (probably the wrong mentality heading into it) so i'm in a real state.

Uni is a great chance to start over again, to make new friends, become independent and push for a better career but I was happy with how I was. I just don't know what to do.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sandsii
Just moved into University and already i'm really missing home. I know this is probably natural but for me its getting me depressed and really upset.

I've already met some good people and had a good laugh but I can't stop thinking about home. I was always put off going to uni for this same reason but I just wanted to see what uni life was like - hell, I'm not even that motivated for my course.

I'm missing my parents (who are my best friends as I used to work with them and see them all the time) and my surroundings and I can't help but think life is too short to be unhappy.

Here's my dilemma.

Do I stay at uni, try and get used to it, give it a chance but then if I do drop out have to repay tuition fees? (which is the least of my worries)

Or, do I look like a complete failure and drop out within a fortnight, but save paying fees back and become my old, happy self again?

I feel like my dad especially wants me to come home, he never wanted me to go and has been crying on the phone since I got here which has made me even more upset whereas my mum misses me but wants to see me do well at uni.

At home, aside from my parents and close family, I don't have a social life. Which is why I needed experience university (probably the wrong mentality heading into it) so i'm in a real state.

Uni is a great chance to start over again, to make new friends, become independent and push for a better career but I was happy with how I was. I just don't know what to do.

I would hang in there a while longer,you say you ve met some good people so how about when your homesickness gets bad you organise something with them? It's normal to miss your family but after you settle in a bit better hopefully you will feel less and less homesick. When you say you don't feel motivated by the course itself do you know why you feel this way?
Hi there.

When I came to University, my main concern was that I would miss my parents and miss my home too much and that I would have to return home after a couple of weeks. But I'm 2 weeks in today, actually, and I'm feeling ok. I really am passionate about the subjects I am studying, I love the campus and have met so many people with whom I share a lot in common.

But the game-changer for me has been skype. I skype my parents near enough everyday at 19:00 and sometimes it's just for 5 minutes, sometimes it's an hour but it makes all the difference.

I grant you, this is not something I will always be able to do as I get busier with my studies, but it works for now. Give it a go and see if it helps your situation and if not, you can always get alternative advice from people at your University - they're there to help and support you!
You said it! "Uni is a great chance to start over again, to make new friends, become independent and push for a better career... I needed to experience university..."

What you're feeling now is natural, temporary, and will improve You don't things to improve, don't you? Claire's advice to hang in there a while longer makes great sense. You might feel even worse to quit before you've given Uni a chance... and never know what might have happened. again you said it yourself you might "look like a complete failure and drop out within a fortnight"

Look up, look forward... to enjoying life. Notquitethor's Skype suggestion is a wonderful one - enjoy the best of both worlds. Because you can... you just have to choose it, what you want for now and your future.

Choose to enjoy this experience, and the rest will take care of itself :smile: Take care for now!
Oops... I meant to say 'you DO want things to improve... don't you?' We all do for you :smile:
youll get over it
Reply 6
If you can't do it now, who says you ever will? It's not like you can live at home forever, so don't waste time and money and keep at it.
Reply 7
Oh I feel you :frown: home sickness is the worst. I just started uni and wanted to come home so badly at first. Now I am still unsure, but have decided to put myself out there and stick it out for at least a few weeks before deciding whether it's for me, or whether I'd be better off getting a job/ reapplying to a closer uni net year & possibly commuting. I only have a couple of friends back home and the people here are great but I hate my course & no other courses interest me. Also, I don't like where I live & would rather be at home. It just sucks that all my close friends are at uni! speaking to one of my friends at home, she's really lonely because everyone's gone, so I guess I'd at least have one friend at home :/
Reply 8
Original post by sandsii

I'm missing my parents (who are my best friends as I used to work with them and see them all the time) and my surroundings and I can't help but think life is too short to

Are you South Asian by any chance?

I went to a university outside of home last year and I really hated it. Didn't feel I belonged in the group to be honest, hated the city, hated the long walks to university and the long walks for shopping. Apart from a few, didn't like the people I was living with. I was just very different to them, and I had to adapt. I really missed my family and friends from London, and so I had to deal with all that even before doing a very difficult course. So I obviously ended up doing really badly for my course, nothing changed over the course of the year. So I knew I had to change universities and I went back home. Lectures start tomorrow and I can't wait! I like my course friends as well! They're so much better than the ones I had in my other university
Reply 9
Original post by sammy257
Oh I feel you :frown: home sickness is the worst. I just started uni and wanted to come home so badly at first. Now I am still unsure, but have decided to put myself out there and stick it out for at least a few weeks before deciding whether it's for me, or whether I'd be better off getting a job/ reapplying to a closer uni net year & possibly commuting. I only have a couple of friends back home and the people here are great but I hate my course & no other courses interest me. Also, I don't like where I live & would rather be at home. It just sucks that all my close friends are at uni! speaking to one of my friends at home, she's really lonely because everyone's gone, so I guess I'd at least have one friend at home :/

:/

Not liking where you live and your course is a recipe for disaster. Trust me, I would know because I experienced it last year. I would seek help ASAP.
You should stick with it-can always go home at weekends/holidays
Reply 11
Original post by am_blue
Are you South Asian by any chance?

I went to a university outside of home last year and I really hated it. Didn't feel I belonged in the group to be honest, hated the city, hated the long walks to university and the long walks for shopping. Apart from a few, didn't like the people I was living with. I was just very different to them, and I had to adapt. I really missed my family and friends from London, and so I had to deal with all that even before doing a very difficult course. So I obviously ended up doing really badly for my course, nothing changed over the course of the year. So I knew I had to change universities and I went back home. Lectures start tomorrow and I can't wait! I like my course friends as well! They're so much better than the ones I had in my other university

Which university did you attend outside London? And which uni do you go to now? Salam I saw that you attend birkbeck and would really like some advice. I'm currently at the university of Leeds and feel very homesick (I live in london) and want to transfer to birkbeck. I'm 20 will there be any people my age? Is there much of a social life? What's the university like. Appericiate your help thank you
Salam I saw that you attend birkbeck and would really like some advice. I'm currently at the university of Leeds and feel very homesick (I live in london) and want to transfer to birkbeck. I'm 20 will there be any people my age? Is there much of a social life? What's the university like. Appericiate your help thank you
Reply 12
Original post by Nznz101
Which university did you attend outside London? And which uni do you go to now? Salam I saw that you attend birkbeck and would really like some advice. I'm currently at the university of Leeds and feel very homesick (I live in london) and want to transfer to birkbeck. I'm 20 will there be any people my age? Is there much of a social life? What's the university like. Appericiate your help thank you
Salam I saw that you attend birkbeck and would really like some advice. I'm currently at the university of Leeds and feel very homesick (I live in london) and want to transfer to birkbeck. I'm 20 will there be any people my age? Is there much of a social life? What's the university like. Appericiate your help thank you

Birkbeck? I went to Uni of Bristol m8, I don't know where the hell you got Birkbeck from
I'm feeling the same as you right now :frown: But I've decided I'm going to stick it out for the next week and see how it goes :smile: I just feel that I'd be more comfortable commuting from home somewhere. But it's really hit me that I'd have to re-apply all over again. So I've decided to look for a job near my uni to keep me busy, if I don't find one around there then I'm going to look for one nearer home and travel home each weekend. Just find things to keep yourself busy!
Original post by StudentEmmax
I'm feeling the same as you right now :frown: But I've decided I'm going to stick it out for the next week and see how it goes :smile: I just feel that I'd be more comfortable commuting from home somewhere. But it's really hit me that I'd have to re-apply all over again. So I've decided to look for a job near my uni to keep me busy, if I don't find one around there then I'm going to look for one nearer home and travel home each weekend. Just find things to keep yourself busy!

This is the same as me! I'm going home next weekend to talk to my parents. I hate it here :frown: My flatmates are so inconsiderate they play music all hours when I have to get up at 9, eat my food when they come home drunk & make the kitchen a complete mess. I can't go out without disgusting boys approaching me and my flatmates from every angle, my course is horrific and I just want to go home :frown:
Reply 15
Original post by sorg61013
This is the same as me! I'm going home next weekend to talk to my parents. I hate it here :frown: My flatmates are so inconsiderate they play music all hours when I have to get up at 9, eat my food when they come home drunk & make the kitchen a complete mess. I can't go out without disgusting boys approaching me and my flatmates from every angle, my course is horrific and I just want to go home :frown:

I think I'm just gonna return home :frown:
Original post by sandsii

Here's my dilemma.

:s-smilie:

Your dad has some attachment issues.
Reply 17
Original post by Juichiro
:s-smilie:

Your dad has some attachment issues.

Or maybe he just loves me unlike your dad maybe...?
I feel the same. I feel homesick particularly during the weekends and the mornings weirdly enough. I only live about an hour and a half away from home by train but I feel like I shouldn't go home too often since I did go home last week. I guess all you can do is keep yourself busy. It's difficult for me because my flatmates only go out when they want to go clubbing. The days are pretty boring. I tend to watch TV shows that I loved watching at home during my free time. Maybe get your flatmates into them as well so you don't sit in your room alone.
Same here. I miss London particularly. This campus and the town are suffocating and there's really not that much to do I feel like claustrophobic in this place.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending