The Student Room Group

Feel overwhelmed and burned out, please help!

I am a few weeks into A2 and I am feeling really stressed out and incapable of doing anything...

It's partly because I had a really stressful summer; as a result I haven't had any rest/holiday so I'm not rejuvenated whatsoever. It's also because my college sets a very early deadline for coursework and I feel like I'll kill myself trying to meet it. Actually, I know it's silly, but I've blown my coursework out proportion so it feels like a ridiculously hard task. Every time I think about sitting down to read books for coursework I feel physically ill!

I also have OCD. At the moment I'm struggling to take notes down and I just feel like time is racing by whilst I am moving at a sloth's pace.

In an ideal world I would take two weeks break but I just don't have the time to do that so there has to be another solution. I really want to come out with a minimum of three As but at the moment I feel like I'm failing.

Any advice would be great.
Heya! I'm really sorry you're feeling that way!!

First of all I'd say relax take a deep breath and know that it is all completely possible to accomplish! Positive vibes and thoughts is my first piece of advice

Secondly- make a list of all the things you need to do in order and the dates they're due for and when you're done you'll probably see there's not that much- try and do the little things on the list and split the big things into little sections and you'll find satisfaction in crossing items off the list when you've completed them

Thirdly- have some stress relieving thing you do at least an hour every day eg doing exercise, going for a walk, or just laying down listening to music. If you feel you don't have time to do these things, try combine it with your work like making a detailed fun colorful mind map planning pieces of work to do whilst listening to music or out on a park bench then when you get down to doing the work you have a guide to ease you though it

Lastly- SLEEP go to bed early get at least 8 hours or until you don't feel tired!! Drink lots of water, eat well!!(Fruit + Veg!) have a big breakfast.

Also about the reading books thing- get motivated! Lookup the course you want to do for uni again and remind yourself why you need those A's (not in a pressuring way) be happy to learn, set yourself in a nice environment sit down somewhere sunny (you can even dress yourself up too feel better) have some snacks with you, some music (only in one ear if you get distracted easily) have a small notebook and pen with you and write down quotes from the book and the page number or if you read something and you think it could be a paragraph to write about in your coursework note it down!. You don't have to read it all at once take breaks in between. Once you've finished the book sort your notes into order making clear headings for what each paragraph will be about. Then do the same with the other books!

Use only the most important strong points so you have lots to talk about each one.

Also when doing work don't look at how long you've been working to take a break look at how much you've actually DONE set an aim and don't take a break until you've done it- e.g read 20 pages? Or half the book (depending on how long the book is)

Hope these tips help!! Don't hesitate to ask me anything else!!

And GOOD LUCK - don't worry you'll smash it!!! :smile::tongue::wink::biggrin:
I think the first thing to remember is that it is completely natural to feel the way you do, you are not alone, believe me! A Levels are ridiculously hard (many people at university say that they are more intense than university itself!)

My advice to you would be to set mini tasks for yourself so it doesn't seem like on huge one. For example, I'm doing history A2 coursework at the moment and I'll just set myself a task like, this week I am going to make sure I have all of my historians in order, and then that seems like a much smaller task than the entire coursework itself!

Definitely remember that its okay, sleep right, and set yourself little tasks and don't overwhelm yourself. I hope you feel better soon.

Quick Reply

Latest