The Student Room Group
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath

What is Bath Spa like? Need advice/help!

Hello:-)

I'm thinking about applying to Bath Spa University for Business with Psychology, but I've never been able to visit! Could you give me some ideas as to what the university is like?

Are there many things to do (eg: gym, societies,shopping)?
What's freshers like?
Are the people nice?
What's the area like?
Is it expensive?
Is the nightlife good?
Are lecturers helpful?
Do you enjoy living there?

If you could give it a mark out of 10 that would be really helpful too!
Thankssss:-)
Reply 1
Original post by clolouise16

I'm thinking about applying to Bath Spa University for Business with Psychology, but I've never been able to visit! Could you give me some ideas as to what the university is like?

What's freshers like?
Are the people nice?
What's the area like?
Is it expensive?
Is the nightlife good?
Are lecturers helpful?

Hey :smile: I know you posted this over a month ago but I saw it and thought I would reply. I was in your position last year and I was desperate for some inside advice.
Anyway, here goes.

Gym-
The gym is kind of basic size. Its got your usual machines but if you want something as impressive as the top universities, you're looking in the wrong place! I don't really go to the gym, so fancy facilities never bothered me but they might've done if I did go.
There are a fair amount of socities, I know the university was one of the top in the country at polo a few years back, but this society can be pricey at £40 pounds per meeting. Other than that you can look them up online or even start your own society :smile: Shopping is okay- I haven't really ventured out of the campus which you could view as a bad thing, most people get their food delivered in.

Freshers-
I'll be honest. I come from a big city and freshers really let me down. i didn't expect much, but the most exciting thing that was put on was karaoke night... The events sound good but they're actually all in town and open to Bath university too, and they can be really nasty towards us when they want to be- not a pleasant environment. But hey, if you're drunk or genuinely don't care then this isn't a worry.

People-
Personally- I'll be honest again- people wise I have found it kind of difficult. I'm actually in the process of leaving the university (don't let this put you off- this is for very serious personal circumstances as well as things I didn't like about the uni, but thats just me). I've found that not a lot of people come from main cities, as someone from London i struggled with this. I've also found that some can be immature, but maybe thats just the university experience, I wouldn't know, I'm a first year. Don't get me wrong I love going out! But screaming and being anti social at 4:30 am outside peoples windows is not uncommon. Most people are kind and considerate, but you do get a few that ruin it for others.

Nightlife-
This sounds like horrible advice but the nightlife is awful. It's ok on a weekday- theres one vaguely big club and several bars with dance floors, but on weekends you have to be at the club before 10:45 if you have any hope of getting in. They're also all underground and close at 3am. They become far too packed as the clubs cannot accommodate all those students. Also weekend drinks, you're paying london price! Around £8 for a double. Seriously, if you want good nightlife, I would not advise coming here. Most people just drink in their flats. I for one have only been out twice in the whole of my time here, and you could say thats due to the people I'm with or whatever you like, but its not right for a fresher.

Lecturers-
As a teaching led university I cannot fault the lecturers and tutors :smile: I love my course and have found the lecturers to be engaging and interested in the course also. They also have confidence in their students, something my friends at "higher up" universities have complained about. Many subjects have seminars, which are basically like a sixth form class and they're really helpful especially when you did not understand something in the lecture. Many people also get peer mentors from third year. I honestly have never really spoken to mine but i know they're beneficial for others, depends what type of person you are :smile:. I never really knew what to say to mine.

Do I enjoy it-
I've struggled from the first day of starting but this was due to personal issues at home. Taking this aside, I can tell you that the Gardens accommodation is lovely (double beds!), the university is beautiful and none of the buildings are run down and ugly (all new or historic). Parking is a nightmare. Buses are fairly frequent, every 30 mins or so. Gardens accommodation can have some rivalry between blocks which can be uncomfortable if you don't take it lightly. There's no lecture halls as you would imagine (the desks at a gradient and a lecturer at the bottom) instead there are just large halls and you write on your lap- NOT good. All the facilities in this building are lovely and new though, so that's a plus. I've heard finding a house in bath is difficult in second year as there are too many students at spa and bath combined, but I cannot vouch for that. Bath students are really nasty to us, it depends whether you can again take this lightly. Courses are flexible. SU food a decent price. Nice merchandise. Stunning campus.

Overall I know lots of people who are enjoying it here, and this shows by the low drop out rate which you can look up on the completeuniversityguide. I just struggled coming from a City and my own problems, but I am happy to answer any further questions you may have (sorry for such a long reply!) :smile:
Students at work, Bath Spa University
Bath Spa University
Bath
Original post by clolouise16

What's freshers like?
Are the people nice?
What's the area like?
Is it expensive?
Is the nightlife good?
Are lecturers helpful?

Freshers isn't the best, but it's what you make of it, as with anything; sure you've heard that a million times but it applies here.
On the whole, the people around here seem pretty spot on, i've only met a handful of bell ends in 4 terms. the lecturers are pretty nice, helpful bods
bath is a really nice place to live, can be lively and peaceful and chilled too, which is a nice blend for a country boy like me
marks out of 10: 8 - i can imagine Uni being a LOT worse than i have it here. recommended.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending