The Student Room Group

PGCE- few questions?

Hi all, just looking for some responses to a few questions I have about PGCE-

has anyone done it as a single parent? What tips do you have?
would you advise being able to drive?
(I've put it off due to my circumstances and due to the ridiculous cost)
what are timetables like?
how did you decide between primary and secondary?

The only thing that's held me back from PGCE is my GCSE Maths grade which I will be sitting exams for later next year. Would I be ok applying this year for 2016/2017 start?
Reply 1
I can't answer all your questions but when it comes to driving i would suggest getting a car. Some people have had placements which are >1 hr away.
Reply 2
Driving certainly would make things easier for you, but most course providers take into account whether or not you have access to a car when organising placements and try to make things as easiest as possible for you. If you train in a city with good transport links, it shouldn't be too much of a problem. I use the bus, which is a bit of a pain because they can, and often do, run late, but I'm managing OK so far. A car would definitely be preferable, however.

Timetables depend on how the course provider chooses to deliver their course. At my university, taught sessions are usually 9:15am to 4:30pm but there will be earlier starts and later finishes at various points in the year. We have no half-term breaks. Other course providers have very different timetables. When you're on a placement, you are expected to follow a similar timetable to that of the other teachers.

Getting experience in both primary and secondary will allow you to determine which phase is right for you. There are a number of reasons why I chose primary but mainly it was because I wanted to be able to teach one class in a variety of subjects rather than numerous classes in just one subject.
I would advise being able to drive. My first placement took an hour on the bus and it was really inconvenient. I bought a car and it took 15-20 mins drive. Time spend commuting is time wasted and time is an scarce thing on a PGCE course.

If you want to do secondary, you need an undergraduate degree in the subject you're wanting to teach.
If you are taking the exam this academic year I don't see why you couldn't apply this year It would just be an offer conditional on your GCSE and skills tests.

Driving is definitely recommended. We were sent miles, and a lack of car wasn't always really taken into account, or there was the expectation that we would use lots of public transport which took forever for some people. Some unis do take into account the cost of travelling. We were paid something towards expenses.

Timetable wise, it really varies per institution. We were in 4 days a week 9-3ish. We also didn't get half terms (something to think about if you are a single parent) which seems a common thing. This is basically because its the only time the Uni can get you together once you are on placement.

As for how did I decide. I love my subject and my experience in schools led me to decide I couldn't deal with the little kids day in day out ... and I wanted to be able to be excited about GCSEs and college choices with them .. . and be able to have proper conversations with them. I'm in my NQT year now and I know I made the right choice :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending