The Student Room Group

Accountancy or Actuary (or medicine)?

Hi,

I am currently a Y13 student who originally wanted to do medicine. However, my sciences didn't do that well in AS (CCD) but I did well in AS Maths (A). I have always done well with maths (with getting A* in GCSE Maths a year early also) and have quite enjoyed it. I have always been put off doing a maths related job though because I have been told that it is very boring. However, I have also been told a lot of money can be made from doing. But I thought what is the point in the doing the job if it is boring.

Anyway, I have been looking at Actuaries and Accountancy. However, I am unsure which to choose. To be honest, I know very little about them.

From my research, I have found out that to be Actuary, I need to do a maths-related degree first and with accountancy, it is best to do a higher apprenticeship in a big company. But I want to know what people think of this.

Any help will be appreciated.
Accountancy has no Maths well unless you count arithmetic.. so doing a Maths related degree would be a waste of time in opinion if your looking to get into Accountancy, do something like Finance / Economics with a mix of Accounting.

If your looking to go down the Actuarial route, then do a highly numerate degree such as Maths or Economics or even Actuarial Science, but try getting an internship during your time at uni, as the barrier to entry for that first job is quite difficult !! Also if you intend to become an Actuary, motivation is the key, some of the exams are quite difficult.. but it's all the worth it in the end.

Actuarial is more exciting then Accountancy !! It's forward looking ..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending