The Student Room Group

Do I have a chance applying for Pharmacy? Poor AS grades

I will be sending of my ucas application next month for Pharmacy for the following unis: University of Birmingham, Cardiff University, Aston University, Keele University, De Montford University.

I achieved BCD at AS (D in chem) which I know are awful grades but I honestly believe I am capable of achieving at least an ABB, maybe even an AAB with about 6 resits that I will do also.

Predicted grades: ABB

I have also had work experience in a pharmacy, I volunteer in a hospice, I have done extra reading around pharmacy and I participated in an online course over the summer which was deeply related to pharmacy (all of which I have included in my personal statement plus more)

So my question is, will the rest of my application and a really good personal statement make up for the poor AS grades? Does anyone know/read about people who have gotten into pharmacy for the above universities with similar AS grades to me?
Original post by greenmath
I will be sending of my ucas application next month for Pharmacy for the following unis: University of Birmingham, Cardiff University, Aston University, Keele University, De Montford University.

I achieved BCD at AS (D in chem) which I know are awful grades but I honestly believe I am capable of achieving at least an ABB, maybe even an AAB with about 6 resits that I will do also.

Predicted grades: ABB

I have also had work experience in a pharmacy, I volunteer in a hospice, I have done extra reading around pharmacy and I participated in an online course over the summer which was deeply related to pharmacy (all of which I have included in my personal statement plus more)

So my question is, will the rest of my application and a really good personal statement make up for the poor AS grades? Does anyone know/read about people who have gotten into pharmacy for the above universities with similar AS grades to me?

Considering Birmingham and Cardiff both ask for AAB and your predicted grades are ABB (which are very ambitious considering your AS grades) then I think perhaps taking a year out would be best. There is a fair bit of competition for MPharm, so your chances are fairly slim.Sorry to break this to you, but it's better you know than for me to sugar coat it.You may stand a chance at the other universities you listed however.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending