The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Open Day?

I received an offer from Durham in November for Computer Science, and on that letter it said there was an open day on 20th/21st March, and I had to send a form back saying whether I was going to stay overnight, or just arrive on the 21st. My parents said they would drive me up from Liverpool (nice of them!).

I was expecting I would of received some information about the open day by now in the post? As I did for other open days, like what time I should get there, a map etc. I have heard squat all about the open day, am I just expected to turn up?

I did a bit of delving on the Durham site and found a document about the open day, and apparently I am going to have to get there at 9:15, and bear in mind Durham is like a four hour drive from where I live, and my dad said he is not taking me now due to the time we have to be there and stuff. The earliest train I can get will get me to Durham station for about 9:30, and I have no idea how hard it will be to get to the Uni from the station!

Should I of received anything in the post then, and erm...what should I do?
Reply 1
Maybe you should give them a ring?

Also, you could always ask if you can stay the night after all - I reckon it'd be fine. When did your dad think you'd have to be there, though? Also, it takes me 6 hours to drive there, and I live in Dorset, on the south coast. 4 hours would be some slow driving.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
It seems that Durham don't send out any sort of confirmation, it took my college 5 weeks to reply to repeated e mail requests for some important info.

Normally you stay the night before and then go onto the open day, so the early start isn't a problem then. However one college is trying to do it the other way round and get you to arrive for 9.30am and then stay over, bonkers, given the travelling time for the majority of students. I believe that there will be open day reps at the station, but whether that only applies to afternoon arrivals, I'm not sure.
Reply 3
i don't think they'd mind if you're late - it's really just to get the feel of the place and see if you think you'd enjoy going. If you stay over the college accommodation costs £28 and this includes an evening meal and breakfast.
Reply 4
This is all strange - I got really clear instructions for my open day. What's going on, Durham?
Reply 5
Unless the traffic is terrible, Durham takes a maximum of three hours from Liverpool. I live about twenty minutes away and it takes me two and a quarter. This is your choice of University we are talking about. If you don't want to stay over, then fine, but just get up a couple of hours earlier and make it here on time!
Reply 6
STAY OVER!!!!

What's with all these people who think that an Open Day is just to come and browse the department?!?! This is the place you're going to be LIVING for the next 3 years of your life and I can tell you that you will certainly spend more time sleeping, eating, drinking, gyming, sporting, formaling, and generally dossing abouting in your college (all together) than you will actually on your degree....so why the urge to bypass experiencing that side of Durham and just go and find out about your department? :confused:

The fact that the Departmental Open Days don't really give you a good taster of life on the course, whilst the College Open Days really DO show you what college life is like - so everyone should really stay over and experience college!! I know it's £28, but it's worth it!! :smile:
Reply 7
Departmental open days are wanky, college open days are mint-tastic.
Reply 8
dobbs
STAY OVER!!!!

What's with all these people who think that an Open Day is just to come and browse the department?!?! This is the place you're going to be LIVING for the next 3 years of your life and I can tell you that you will certainly spend more time sleeping, eating, drinking, gyming, sporting, formaling, and generally dossing abouting in your college (all together) than you will actually on your degree....so why the urge to bypass experiencing that side of Durham and just go and find out about your department? :confused:

The fact that the Departmental Open Days don't really give you a good taster of life on the course, whilst the College Open Days really DO show you what college life is like - so everyone should really stay over and experience college!! I know it's £28, but it's worth it!! :smile:

i TOTALLY agree!
i went to the open day last year at St Chad's and had the best time ever. the departmental stuff the next day just felt like an add on, and tbh, the college open day sold Durham to me even before i got to the departement! though whether you will enjoy the course or not is still important. lol
Reply 9
It's true.

I loved Open Day so much that I went to a second one, when I reapplied, even though I knew I wanted to go there. I didn't tell my parents this. Ha ha.
Reply 10
Thanks for the replies everyone! I know it is important to stay overnight to get a feel for the Uni, but personally I have heard such great things about Durham that I do not think I need to, and I am bound to look round the Uni on the actual open day and stuff.

My dad is very skeptical of the fact that Durham is a while away from a home, and he thinks it is way to far to travel. He wants me to go to Lancaster, which is an hour away! However, if they come with me to Durham then they will see it is not that far really and maybe they will be impressed when we look round. Thats the idea anyway, I am already convinced, I just need to convince my parents. According to Google maps it takes 3 hours 55 minutes from my home in Liverpool to Durham Uni...but some people have told me it takes less traveling from Liverpool to Durham than that, so lets hope so! Anyway, I am still discussing it with my parents but we may stay in a travel lodge overnight or something.
No offence to your dad, mate, but that's bloody ridiculous. I just think it's unbelievably selfish of a parent to say "Go to a much worse uni. It will save me a few hours driving every year." Remember, you can leave your stuff at most colleges over Christmas and Easter holidays, and can train it back down. Realistically, you will need two lifts. So 16 hours there and back twice. Offer your dad petrol money if he's that bothered. I live in Essex, and I'm extremely grateful that my parents are willing to endure the 7 hour drive there with a car load of guitars!
Reply 12
I'd try and stay over if you can - am very happy that Durham are giving me the opportunity for staying over, it'll give you such a better idea about what life is like :smile:.
Reply 13
Durham V Lancaster, no competition. I've spent a lot of time at Lancaster (girlfriend goes there) and Durham is streets ahead.
Reply 14
I'm going to the Van Mildert Open Day on the 19th/20th but I haven't recieved anything in the post yet, is this normal? Im just going to go up and see what happens!
Reply 15
hmm i've been told cuths is now full for the night and to find my own accomodation...nice...considering its where i want to go and my applications been in since october
Reply 16
I don't think they send stuff in the post about it

Latest