The Student Room Group

Best universities for pure Mathematics

Hi, what are the five best british universities for pure mathematics (undergraduate study) ?
I don't want a classement of a newspaper but your classement. For me, it's :

1. Cambridge/Oxford
2. Imperial College London
3. University of St Andrews
4. UCL
5. University of Warwick

I want to be mathematicians after a PhD.

Thanks,

Mautarema

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Mautarema
Hi, what are the five best british universities for pure mathematics (undergraduate study) ?

1. Cambridge/Oxford
4. UCL
5. University of Warwick

Thanks,

Mautarema

1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Warwick
4) Imperial
5) UCL
Original post by Gome44
1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Warwick
4) Imperial
5) UCL

How come you chose Oxford over Camb?
Reply 3
I put Cambridge and Oxford in first place because we can choose only one of both. Please do the same thing.
Reply 4

1. Cambridge/Oxford
4. UCL
5. University of Warwick

Thanks,

Mautarema

1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Warwick
4. Imperial
5. UCL
I put Cambridge and Oxford in first place because we can choose only one of both. Please do the same thing.

How does that matter in ranking them?
Reply 6
1. Cambridge
2. Oxford
3. Warwick
4. Imperial
5. St. Andrews or UCL
Reply 7
Original post by hassassin04
How does that matter in ranking them?

Because in UCAS, we can choose only one. (I want a classement with 6 university if you prefer)

Warwick is really good for pure mathematics ? It's more economy, isn't it ?
Reply 8
Because in UCAS, we can choose only one. (I want a classement with 6 university if you prefer)

Warwick is really good for pure mathematics ? It's more economy, isn't it ?

Warwick is fantastic for maths.

I take it you're French?
Reply 9
Yes I'm French, you too ?
Reply 10
Original post by Jordan\
How come you chose Oxford over Camb?

Closer to where I live, better city, cba with step (I had enough exams to deal with :tongue:)
Cam/Ox (I don't actually know where there is a significant gap between the two apart from Part III) - Warwick/Imperial then Bristol/Bath/UCL etc
Reply 12
Original post by yl95
Cam/Ox (I don't actually know where there is a significant gap between the two apart from Part III) - Warwick/Imperial then Bristol/Bath/UCL etc

Cambridge's maths course contains a lot more theoretical physics and related maths, even in the core first year, so I think someone particularly interested in pure mathematics would find the Oxford course more to their taste.
Original post by RichE
Cambridge's maths course contains a lot more theoretical physics and related maths, even in the core first year, so I think someone particularly interested in pure mathematics would find the Oxford course more to their taste.

Yeah, I know but that's all very subjective haha. I know I wouldn't enjoy the Cambridge course. :l

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RichE

I must admit I'd caution against this. The sort of stuff that you get taught early in the Cambridge course under the rubric of "applied maths" comes back with a vengeance later on as "pure" maths. Hamiltonian flows and symplectic structures on manifolds are motivated by Hamilton's equations in mechanics; Maxwell's equations lead on naturally to gauge theory and (eventually) to m-theory and branes and all that; the differential equations of "applied" mathematics are extremely interesting from a "pure" maths point of view (think Navier-Stokes). And I've only just started with the things that are of interest to me as a geometer!

Too early specialization is a big mistake...(discuss!)
Reply 15
Original post by Gregorius
I must admit I'd caution against this. The sort of stuff that you get taught early in the Cambridge course under the rubric of "applied maths" comes back with a vengeance later on as "pure" maths. Hamiltonian flows and symplectic structures on manifolds are motivated by Hamilton's equations in mechanics; Maxwell's equations lead on naturally to gauge theory and (eventually) to m-theory and branes and all that; the differential equations of "applied" mathematics are extremely interesting from a "pure" maths point of view (think Navier-Stokes). And I've only just started with the things that are of interest to me as a geometer!

Too early specialization is a big mistake...(discuss!)

All of which I think could be considered what I termed "related maths". Yes, these subjects are also of interest to pure mathematicians, but your post suggests that their presence in Cambridge's first year hasn't pushed out other - I would suggest - more fundamental mathematics (not necessarily all pure). It seems weird to me that the Cambridge course is teaching Special Relativity, Mobius transformations and Cartesian tensors in the first year and omitting vector spaces and Fourier series. I would suggest that the Cambridge maths course is somewhat more specialized and with more of a theoretical physics slant than a balanced maths course ought to be. Of course that's only an opinion, but it implies that a particularly pure-inclined mathematician would probably be less happy doing the Cambridge first year.
Original post by Gome44
1) Cambridge
2) Oxford
3) Warwick
4) Imperial
5) UCL

I'd say
Cambridge
Oxford
Durham
Warwick
Imperial
Original post by Hannahmay01
I'd say
Cambridge
Oxford
Durham
Warwick
Imperial

What is Durham doing there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RichE
All of which I think could be considered what I termed "related maths". Yes, these subjects are also of interest to pure mathematicians, but your post suggests that their presence in Cambridge's first year hasn't pushed out other - I would suggest - more fundamental mathematics (not necessarily all pure). It seems weird to me that the Cambridge course is teaching Special Relativity, Mobius transformations and Cartesian tensors in the first year and omitting vector spaces and Fourier series. I would suggest that the Cambridge maths course is somewhat more specialized and with more of a theoretical physics slant than a balanced maths course ought to be. Of course that's only an opinion, but it implies that a particularly pure-inclined mathematician would probably be less happy doing the Cambridge first year.

I love vector spaces and algebra (linear and abstract) in general whereas I pretty much find Applied a bore. Although...Analysis, a key part of Pure Maths is also not my thing. More of a Stats person. Didn't take Physics for A Level either.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yl95
What is Durham doing there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

5th best in the country according to http://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings?s=mathematics but St. Andrews is in the middle of nowhere and my friends who go there wouldn't recommend it!

Quick Reply

Latest