The Student Room Group

Leeds, Manchster, Birmingham, Nottingham or Sheffield for Psychology

i'm applying to Leeds, Manchster, Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield but i'm not sure what's most important?
from what i can tell, birmingham and leeds have the best psychology course for me BUT manchester is my favourite university and city by far. also, manchester doesn't score as high as the other universities in the league tables, BUT has the best international reputation.
HELP
(edited 8 years ago)
Im looking at applying to both leeds and birmingham next year for psychology too, what were your AS grades/predicted grades, personally i think you should apply to a uni for the course rather than the city
Original post by tashasalvatore1
i'm applying to Leeds, Manchster, Birmingham, Nottingham and Sheffield but i'm not suree what's most important?
from what i can tell, birmingham and leeds have the best psychology course for me BUT manchester is my favourite univrsity and city by far. also, manchestr doesn't score as high as thee other universities in the league tables, BUT has the best international reputation.
HELP
Original post by charliedocker
Im looking at applying to both leeds and birmingham next year for psychology too, what were your AS grades/predicted grades, personally i think you should apply to a uni for the course rather than the city

my AS grades were ABC and i'm predicted A*AB
What do you want to do when you graduate? I appreciate that this is a big question when you're still thinking about which uni to go to, but...

If you're not thinking of pursuing psychology or a specific psychology related career then the ins and outs of the best courses probably won't matter. Pick a course, city and uni that feel right for you and get the best grade possible.

If you're thinking of a research/academic career then I will confess to not knowing the details of what makes the best 'candidate' moving forward (in terms of securing grants, research posts, PhD's etc.). Perhaps the research reputation of the uni matters? Perhaps the specific ranking of the uni matters? Perhaps the 'status' of the uni matters? On the whole though, I'd say it doesn't. If you do well in your degree (1st/2:1) and perform well on your dissertation, possibly getting it published (definitely go for student conferences) and potentially get involved in some department research - then on the whole, I think your ability will shine through, no matter which uni you went to. At the end of the day, they are all good uni's.

If you're planning to be a practitioner, then I am 99% certain that the uni you go to doesn't matter, not one bit. As long as your degree is BPS accredited you can use it. The only important thing is getting a 1st or a 2:1. You'll still want to aim for dissertation publication/conference presentation/research experience, but you'll also throw in getting practical experience as well. I graduated in 2010 from Bangor, have completed a master's at Surrey and worked as an Assistant Psychologist for almost 3 years and I can tell you no one has ever (as far as I know) given a damn about where I did my degrees.

This is my long way of saying that the really crucial parts of the degree are getting a good grade and possibly some research experience and that is more likely to happen at a university you like, have fun at and enjoy. If that so happens to be an internationally renowned university, then that's a bonus.

Quick Reply

Latest