The Student Room Group

Good Popular Chemistry Books??

I've recently started year 11 and won some science competition on Friday and got a £25 amazon voucher out of it (yay!) . So I'm gonna buy a chemistry book out of it (don't judge!)

I'm interested in Chemistry and will definitely study it for AS/A2 along with phys math and fm.

Thing is I read a lot of Physics popular books ( Elegant Universe , In Search of Schrodinger's Cat/ Kittens etc) but would like to read some Chemistry books bc there aren't that many out there and you can't really pop into Waterstone's and pick one up like you can with Physics and Biology books.

So have any of you guys read any interesting Chemistry books you could recommend as suitable reading for year 11s (aside from the Physical Chemistry and Chemistry Very Short introduction books) for example , is " Why Chemical Reactions Happen" too advanced for a year 11?

Thanks
+ sorry for the long post!
Reply 1
Original post by Calsiwm_Silicad
I've recently started year 11 and won some science competition on Friday and got a £25 amazon voucher out of it (yay!) . So I'm gonna buy a chemistry book out of it (don't judge!)

I'm interested in Chemistry and will definitely study it for AS/A2 along with phys math and fm.

Thing is I read a lot of Physics popular books ( Elegant Universe , In Search of Schrodinger's Cat/ Kittens etc) but would like to read some Chemistry books bc there aren't that many out there and you can't really pop into Waterstone's and pick one up like you can with Physics and Biology books.

So have any of you guys read any interesting Chemistry books you could recommend as suitable reading for year 11s (aside from the Physical Chemistry and Chemistry Very Short introduction books) for example , is " Why Chemical Reactions Happen" too advanced for a year 11?

Thanks

You'll be able to understand a decent amount of WCRH happen if you're prepared to do some googling and extra research. Atkins' Molecules is fairly light going, but also a bit crappy.

IMO buy yourself a load of the basic Oxford Chemistry Primers used, you should be able to get quite a few for £25.

Thanks

Why Chemical Reactions happen is a book for undergraduate chemistry students. There is a book by Peter Atkins, What is Chemistry, and I would suggest reading that book even though I haven't read it myself but I remember him giving a presentation on his book in Blackwell bookshop. He had some original ideas I guess
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
Why Chemical Reactions happen is a book for undergraduate chemistry students. There is a book by Peter Atkins, What is Chemistry, and I would suggest reading that book even though I haven't read it myself but I remember him giving a presentation on his book in Blackwell bookshop. He had some original ideas I guess

No it isn't. It's for people who have done AS/A Level chemistry, it's nowhere near extensive or detailed for undergrad chemistry.
Reply 4

Thanks

I'm interested in Chem a lot (in yr 13) and I'm currently reading "The Disappearing Spoon" it's extremely readable so you'll have no probs understanding 98-99.5% of the content (you'll cover the rest at A-Level). I LOVE this book you'll be amazed with the amount of things you'll learn e.g. the backstory into many chemical elements, chemical processes and chemists. Have a look on Amazon on the "See inside feature". Trust me you won't regret it!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Mehrdad jafari
I'm quite sure I looked at that book sometime before and what I remember was that the book was explained in terms of quantum mechanics.
Untitled.png

There is no maths whatsoever to do with Quantum Mechanics, someone who has done AS/A2 chemistry is more than capable of understanding everything in it. I certainly did before starting university.
Original post by n2697
I'm interested in Chem a lot (in yr 13) and I'm currently reading "The Disappearing Spoon" it's extremely readable so you'll have no probs understanding 98-99.5% of the content (you'll cover the rest at A-Level). I LOVE this book you'll be amazed with the amount of things you'll learn e.g. the backstory into many chemical elements, chemical processes and chemists. Have a look on Amazon on the "See inside feature". Trust me you won't regret it!!!

Thanks! If you like learning about the backstories of elements , you'd probably love Periodic Tales by Hugh Aldersey-Williams which is literally a fun biography of the elements! I'll definitely read the Disappearing Spoon thanks :smile:
Original post by alow
There is no maths whatsoever to do with Quantum Mechanics, someone who has done AS/A2 chemistry is more than capable of understanding everything in it. I certainly did before starting university.

That cool! I wouldn't be against the idea of reading it if an A level student could understand it. In fact, I would be happy

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending