The Student Room Group

Cfe Higher Modern Studies 2015-16

Has anyone done unit 1 so far? How would I structure a To What Extent Essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

I'm currently doing social issues in the uk which I don't think is unit 1.

I'm currently writing my first to what extent essay. The structure I've got is;
- Introduction
- Separate paragraphs that follow Point, evidence, analysis and a summary at the end
- Conclusion

8 marks are for KU
2 marks are for structure
6 marks are for analysis
4 makes for a conclusion, answering the question and making a judgement

I hope this helps a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by ashleymacleod
I'm currently doing social issues in the uk which I don't think is unit 1.

I'm currently writing my first to what extent essay. The structure I've got is;
- Introduction
- Separate paragraphs that follow Point, evidence, analysis and a summary at the end
- Conclusion

8 marks are for KU
2 marks are for structure
6 marks are for analysis
4 makes for a conclusion, answering the question and making a judgement

I hope this helps a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is a great help, thank you. Our teacher hasn't given us much insight on how to structure these essays so was good to see this information!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Predictions anyone? Where do you guys think the 20 mark essay will be
I've barely even revised for this exam yet as it's my last one :0 Don't know if I should be worried or not haha
Reply 5
I've barely even revised for this exam yet as it's my last one :0 Don't know if I should be worried or not haha

Im in the same position! I think I'm gonna get english out the way as that's on Thursday then start studying for it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by Momo2810
Predictions anyone? Where do you guys think the 20 mark essay will be

The 20 mark essay has to be pretty open and broad, it's not going to ask you to explore a very specific part in a topic if that makes sense. Like for example if it's on social inequality it'll ask you to explore the cases of all inequality rather than just wealth/health inequality on it's own or whatnot. Have a look at last years paper and you'll be able to basically exclude any questions that came up their for this years paper

Posted from TSR Mobile
I really hope the 20 mark is in the world powers section and asks you on political participation in your chosen world power, fingers crossed!!
Reply 8
Original post by scottishgirl163
I really hope the 20 mark is in the world powers section and asks you on political participation in your chosen world power, fingers crossed!!

It would be world powers and world issues. Not everyone does a world power.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alana_p
It would be world powers and world issues. Not everyone does a world power.

Posted from TSR Mobile

alright calm down lol
For the pressure group essay I had to research groups myself because it lacks resources compared to other essays.

My paragraphs go by each different type of pressure group. I picked a pressure group and talked about their methods, current campaigns and how effective they are in meeting their objectives in influencing decision making in central government.

Outsider - Animal Liberation Front, National Union of Students
Insider - BMA, National Farmers Union
Cause - Friends of the Roseburn Urban Wildlife Corridor
Sectional - BMA
Original post by scottishgirl163
alright calm down lol

Never said I wasn't calm, was just informing people, 'lol'

Posted from TSR Mobile
i know this is a lot to ask but could you possibly send me a plan or a little part of your essay on electoral systems and/or social
inequalities , really struggling??
(edited 7 years ago)
When writing a voting systems essay do you need to know about all of the voting systems or will it be any?

I've always just wrote an essay comparing FPTP and AMS.
When writing a voting systems essay do you need to know about all of the voting systems or will it be any?

I've always just wrote an essay comparing FPTP and AMS.

That's fine. The question will either ask you to write about one voting or to compare two. There's not any other system you can talk about anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
Anyone know if it is worth it getting the practice paper books?

Sometimes I feel as if I've been taught the whole course wrong because I've seen people talking about how the recent election will make the exam different when I have no idea how unless they're just talking about researching new figures and percentages.

A little bit worried about this exam considering that my school only teaches modern studies for higher (which has ran for 2 years) and the fact that my teacher basically said 'You'll get an A as long as the essays aren't bad' lol what. We got given a random essay on a devolved system of government which we haven't been taught and got just in case the essays are ones we can't answer.
Anyone know if it is worth it getting the practice paper books?

Sometimes I feel as if I've been taught the whole course wrong because I've seen people talking about how the recent election will make the exam different when I have no idea how unless they're just talking about researching new figures and percentages.

A little bit worried about this exam considering that my school only teaches modern studies for higher (which has ran for 2 years) and the fact that my teacher basically said 'You'll get an A as long as the essays aren't bad' lol what. We got given a random essay on a devolved system of government which we haven't been taught and got just in case the essays are ones we can't answer.

It may be useful to use a few new stats, but they won't care if you do use them from last election, and there's no solid evidence that a question on voting will come up. It doesn't change it at all.

The essay questions in past years were very specific, but with the new higher they're much more open. A question will come up that you can answer, your school would never miss out parts of the course, they're told by the sqa what to teach and would get in serious trouble if you went into the exam hall and couldn't answer a certain question. Bare in mind for each section/topic, there's a choice of two questions.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Is anyone doing terrorism as a world issue? I haven't come across anyone else doing this.
Is anyone doing terrorism as a world issue? I haven't come across anyone else doing this.

Yeah my school's doing it as well
Is there anyone who could help me with higher modern studies. I'm doing crash higher modern studies and on one of my essays for the role of an mp (tasmina) in the constituency, i only got 11/12 i got 7 analysis but only 4 ku, could anyone help me with some knowledge on this topic??

Quick Reply