The Student Room Group

Epq worth it?

i wanted to know if EPQ's are really worth it and if i will regret taking one? also do warwick uni/birmingham uni value EPQ's. If anyone has done one before, how did you find the workload as ive read that many people regret taking an EPQ and are stuck doing it?

Scroll to see replies

Nope
Reply 2
1. This is what the unis say:

Warwick
Where a department typically makes offers which include a fourth subject at AS level the Extended Project will normally be considered in lieu of this requirement.

Birmingham
The University of Birmingham has reviewed its position on the Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) and for 2016 entry we will be including the EPQ in our offers where students are taking this in addition to 3 A levels*. Applicants who offer the EPQ and meet our offer criteria will be made the standard offer for their programme of choice and an alternative offer which will be one grade lower plus a grade A in the EPQ. For example where our standard offer is AAA, the offer would be AAA or AAB plus A in the EPQ.

2. They're supposed to be good preparation for university, so if you think you'll benefit from the writing and planning then absolutely go for it :smile: It's also your chance to pick ANY area you want to discuss and be graded on it - ultimate near freedom.
Depends on where you're applying. To some unis, it enhances your application, to others they won't even look at it. I thought it was worth doing.
Original post by sfarm
i wanted to know if EPQ's are really worth it and if i will regret taking one? also do warwick uni/birmingham uni value EPQ's. If anyone has done one before, how did you find the workload as ive read that many people regret taking an EPQ and are stuck doing it?

As you posted in the law forum, I shall assume you're applying for Law.

Answer: not really.

If you've got at a C in your 4th subject, then the EPQ won't help you with regards to grade requirements.

The only thing that the EPQ could be useful for is to discuss it in the personal statement. Even then, there's so many ways of expressing your desire to study law or any other subject that the EPQ isn't worth the time and effort.
Reply 5
Original post by EllainKahlo
Depends on where you're applying. To some unis, it enhances your application, to others they won't even look at it. I thought it was worth doing.

How long did it take you? was it hard work?
Reply 6
Original post by tehforum
As you posted in the law forum, I shall assume you're applying for Law.

Answer: not really.

If you've got at a C in your 4th subject, then the EPQ won't help you with regards to grade requirements.

The only thing that the EPQ could be useful for is to discuss it in the personal statement. Even then, there's so many ways of expressing your desire to study law or any other subject that the EPQ isn't worth the time and effort.

Yes, sorry forgot to mention that. Im doing 3 subjects at A level.
Reply 7
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Nope

Did you do an EPQ?
Original post by sfarm
Yes, sorry forgot to mention that. Im doing 3 subjects at A level.

Do you mean AS level?
Reply 9
Do you mean AS level?

I have just started year 12 and i am doing English, Law and Media AS levels at the moment
Original post by sfarm
Did you do an EPQ?

I didn't, seemed a waste of time. Plenty of other ways to show interest, which don't require commitment and won't result in a potential bad grade if you cba with it
Original post by sfarm
I have just started year 12 and i am doing English, Law and Media AS levels at the moment

I see.

Then for Warwick at least, you will have need to do an EPQ for it to count as the 4th AS at C grade level.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=59481383&postcount=3

Check out other unis.
(edited 8 years ago)
I did a social sciences one. Took me 2 weeks and got A*

They're good for discussing on PS and interview if applicable, but apart from that they won't compensate for bad grades.
I think your actual A Level choices are a bit meh, Birmingham and Warwick are quite reputable aren't they? Wouldn't they want more solid A levels?
I think your actual A Level choices are a bit meh, Birmingham and Warwick are quite reputable aren't they? Wouldn't they want more solid A levels?

Yeah Law and Media are a bit dodge at A level anyway.

Not really sure how strict they are on subject choices. But I doubt they play much, if any, role in deciding whether to offer someone a place.
Original post by sfarm
How long did it take you? was it hard work?

I did four subjects whilst doing my EPQ and I didn't find it very hard, I could do it when I chose to and in my free time. It took me from September to March I think.

If you're okay with writing/typing a lot, such as in essay writing subjects, you probably won't struggle. If you're not used to it then you might not like it.
Yeah Law and Media are a bit dodge at A level anyway.

Not really sure how strict they are on subject choices. But I doubt they play much, if any, role in deciding whether to offer someone a place.

I was under the impression you need decent A Level choices, as well as the grades.

So English Lit/History/Economics/a language/a science and then one soft subject is fine.

Even English combined is seen as a bit soft. Having all 3 might present an issue

I also thought that Law isn't really liked for Law because it teaches things in a different way? Perhaps you could clarify because I'm not sure on that.

OP I think you might want to email the universities in question to see if your choices are suitable.
I was under the impression you need decent A Level choices, as well as the grades.

So English Lit/History/Economics/a language/a science and then one soft subject is fine.

Even English combined is seen as a bit soft. Having all 3 might present an issue

I also thought that Law isn't really liked for Law because it teaches things in a different way? Perhaps you could clarify because I'm not sure on that.

OP I think you might want to email the universities in question to see if your choices are suitable.

Yeah I've always said that in the past, but that's for specific unis, like the London ones, and Oxbridge.
Ideally, you'll want more academic subjects for Russell Group unis.

Law at A level isn't liked because it simplifies the law to fit within the strictures of an A level curriculum and can cause confusion should the applicant study law at university.
Reply 18
Yeah I've always said that in the past, but that's for specific unis, like the London ones, and Oxbridge.
Ideally, you'll want more academic subjects for Russell Group unis.

Law at A level isn't liked because it simplifies the law to fit within the strictures of an A level curriculum and can cause confusion should the applicant study law at university.

As long as i come out with AAA, i'm sure they won't not accept me because of my choices. I was told to do ones i was good at to make sure i got good grades in them.
Original post by sfarm
As long as i come out with AAA, i'm sure they won't not accept me because of my choices. I was told to do ones i was good at to make sure i got good grades in them.

Exactly.

I agree.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending