The Student Room Group

Epq worth it?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by L'Evil Fish
I was under the impression you need decent A Level choices, as well as the grades.

So English Lit/History/Economics/a language/a science and then one soft subject is fine.

Even English combined is seen as a bit soft. Having all 3 might present an issue

I also thought that Law isn't really liked for Law because it teaches things in a different way? Perhaps you could clarify because I'm not sure on that.

OP I think you might want to email the universities in question to see if your choices are suitable.

Law is neither recommended or discouraged from the research i have done. I was told to do A levels that I am good at. I'm sure universities won't deny me if i have good a level results.
Reply 21
So, in conclusion it is or isn't worth doing?
I started my EPQ, but never finished it due to a lack of time - plus, I was struggling with my A levels anyway, so I wanted to give all my time towards the subjects that actually mattered. I think that if you're fabulously organised and have no problem with juggling lots of work on top of loads of work, then the EPQ may be a good thing to do. Also, make sure you're actually interested in some sort of outside-of-college subject that you actually want to study and write a big essay about. Dedicating just a few hours of your week to the EPQ adds up, and takes away time from your revision for your other subjects.
The EPQ may also seem a not-so-challenging thing to do if you already are invested in an 'academic' topic or subject outside of your curriculum at school, and if you're a good essay writer.
If you're doing a subject such as English Literature, Classics or History for A levels, or any subject that requires an essay/multiple essays for coursework, the EPQ may just annoy and bother you, as you have to focus on writing many essays at the same time, which can impede the quality of all of your essays.
Anyway, good luck with whatever you do :smile:
Original post by sfarm

It may be worth doing it for your own personal gain, say if you want to study/research/write about something you like outside of your school subjects.
Otherwise, it might be a waste of time.
Original post by tehforum
Yeah I've always said that in the past, but that's for specific unis, like the London ones, and Oxbridge.
Ideally, you'll want more academic subjects for Russell Group unis.

Law at A level isn't liked because it simplifies the law to fit within the strictures of an A level curriculum and can cause confusion should the applicant study law at university.

Hmmmm... I worry the OP might be limited in where he can apply.

Original post by sfarm
Law is neither recommended or discouraged from the research i have done. I was told to do A levels that I am good at. I'm sure universities won't deny me if i have good a level results.

Fair enough.

But they may not make an offer in the first place if they don't think your A Levels are suitable.

You might be fine, but not at the better unis I don't think.

Maybe the LNAT will help your application.
(edited 8 years ago)
THE LNAT will not help your application for those units which don't use it

Hmmmm... I worry the OP might be limited in where he can apply.

Fair enough.

But they may not make an offer in the first place if they don't think your A Levels are suitable.

You might be fine, but not at the better unis I don't think.

Maybe the LNAT will help your application.
Original post by sfarm
i wanted to know if EPQ's are really worth it and if i will regret taking one? also do warwick uni/birmingham uni value EPQ's. If anyone has done one before, how did you find the workload as ive read that many people regret taking an EPQ and are stuck doing it?

Nothing wrong with them. They're good as long as you don't let them take up too much time...

(I'm just sad cos EPQ is compulsory at my school :frown:)
Original post by tehforum
THE LNAT will not help your application for those units which don't use it

The ones who do use it are probably the ones harder to get into, and so it would be an advantage and might work in his favour (to make up for the choices) if he does well.
Reply 28
EPQ is definitely worth it as it shouldn't take too long, providing you pick a safe topic rather than trying to be too clever. I did a topic I already knew a lot about and completed it within three days and got an A* (100%). Heck, it's worth more tariff points than a whole AS level requiring a year of solid work!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 29
Original post by jcsiah
EPQ is definitely worth it as it shouldn't take too long, providing you pick a safe topic rather than trying to be too clever. I did a topic I already knew a lot about and completed it within three days and got an A* (100%). Heck, it's worth more tariff points than a whole AS level requiring a year of solid work!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you, i have decided to do it as i think it will really benefit me, i have chosen capital punishment as my topic. Thank you to everyone else aswell
The ones who do use it are probably the ones harder to get into, and so it would be an advantage and might work in his favour (to make up for the choices) if he does well.

Well, if the OP is applying for unis which do use the LNAT, then it is mandatory to take the test!
Original post by sfarm

Entirely your decision :smile: It's good for your PS + Additional grade (+ ucas points) + it can help with offers in some unis, but if you want to opt for another way to show your interest in the subject & don't think you can manage it then that's fine also.

There are an astounding number of EPQ questions on the forum this year my god.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending