The Student Room Group

Help needed about AS grades fast!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pinker1
I havent been doing step papers :s-smilie: dont know what that is. Dont know what an AT is either tbh.

STEP are Sixth Term Examination Papers, the AT is Admissions Tutor.

Do you think Warwick or LSE will accept me with these AS grades?

Taken from Warwick and LSE websites -

Warwick have the following entry requirements for Maths, either -

Maths A*, Further Maths A, another non-maths subject A, grade 1 in any STEP paper (there are three)

Maths A*, Further Maths A *, another non-maths subject A*

Maths A*, Further Maths A*, another two non-maths subjects AA

Maths A*, Further Maths A*, another non-maths subject A, grade 2 in any STEP or Distinction in AEA Maths

LSE -

Standard A level offer A*AA

Essential qualification - Further Maths is highly recommended. Students not taking Further Maths to A level will normally be required to achieve grade A in Further Maths AS level in addition to A level Maths A*

The entry requirements are all there on the websites and you can email admission departments with questions.
Reply 21
Original post by francescabonnici
If my school was predicting you your grades you'd probably end up with A*AA/AAA predicted grades. So with that, I think with a good PS and reference Warwick would be definitely be in your reach, especially if you are also doing the EPQ.

If this is any help to you
Exeter: A*AA
Manchester: A*AA
Durham: A*AA
Bristol: A*AA
Queen Marys: A*AA
Liverpool: ABB
Kings: AAA

All are red brick universities and are extremely high on the league tables.

So what do you think would be better, going to Warwick next year or taking a gap year and maybe having a chance of going oxbridge. Also, im retaking all the modules I did bad in, so I think i should be able to achieve 3 A*s this year anyways so is there any way they can accept me after A2 results day or something?
Reply 22
Original post by tinydancersmum
STEP are Sixth Term Examination Papers, the AT is Admissions Tutor.

Taken from Warwick and LSE websites -

Warwick have the following entry requirements for Maths, either -

Maths A*, Further Maths A, another non-maths subject A, grade 1 in any STEP paper (there are three)

Maths A*, Further Maths A *, another non-maths subject A*

Maths A*, Further Maths A*, another two non-maths subjects AA

Maths A*, Further Maths A*, another non-maths subject A, grade 2 in any STEP or Distinction in AEA Maths

LSE -

Standard A level offer A*AA

Essential qualification - Further Maths is highly recommended. Students not taking Further Maths to A level will normally be required to achieve grade A in Further Maths AS level in addition to A level Maths A*

The entry requirements are all there on the websites and you can email admission departments with questions.

Well in AS I did badly in Further maths because of not doing the correct modules. Do you think they will consider this as an exception as I took it outside the 6th form. Do I have to mention that AS as I already have 4 AS's so is mentioning th 5th one necessary if I did badly?
Original post by Pinker1
Do you think its a good idea to resit the year for 1 of my subjects? Im willing to do that if it means I wont have to submit my original AS grade.

Also, do you know which teacher usually does the reference, the AS or A2 teacher?

Also, if I take a gap year at the end of A2 (ive already started A2 so now is not an option) wont they still consider my AS grades

I agree with @slightlyhomeless :smile:
Original post by Pinker1

Well in AS I did badly in Further maths because of not doing the correct modules. Do you think they will consider this as an exception as I took it outside the 6th form. Do I have to mention that AS as I already have 4 AS's so is mentioning th 5th one necessary if I did badly?

So to get the the grades in Further Maths required by either university will require retakes? Or can you still achieve the minimum asked for in FM? Either way as both seem to place high importance on Further Maths and Maths is what you are applying for I think they would expect full disclosure.
Original post by Pinker1
Well it seems like my mum doesnt want me to take a gap year so that option is now gone :/.

Perhaps if you explained to your mum the reasoning behind it? Maybe show her this thread?
Original post by Pinker1
So what do you think would be better, going to Warwick next year or taking a gap year and maybe having a chance of going oxbridge. Also, im retaking all the modules I did bad in, so I think i should be able to achieve 3 A*s this year anyways so is there any way they can accept me after A2 results day or something?

They can make you an offer pre results day and accept you if you attain it, but they can't make an offer on results day. Oxbridge don't do clearing, and I'm not sure about Warwick but I would think it unlikely for a competitive course like maths. I think Cambridge has the summer pool for maths which I believe is to do with STEP, but I don't know- you'll have to read up on it/ ask a mathsy person about it. If you're set on applying this year, Oxford is probably your best bet, but to make it more likely of getting an offer a gap year seems like the most logical approach. However, as many others have said, Oxbridge is not the be all andend all and other Unis are great :smile:
Reply 27
So to get the the grades in Further Maths required by either university will require retakes? Or can you still achieve the minimum asked for in FM? Either way as both seem to place high importance on Further Maths and Maths is what you are applying for I think they would expect full disclosure.

Well I took the wrong FM module and I got a U in that module so im gonna have to retake at least that cos it turns out I was gonna do that module in my 6th form anyway for Maths so I cldnt do it for FM.

Also as the above person mentioned, do you know if cambridge and warwick can accept people on A2 results day?
That is if I managed to get all A*s with some module retakes
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pinker1
I got ABBC at AS and they are still in process of remarking. I want to apply to the top unis. I really think I can get 3 A*s at A2 so what is my best option here. My teachers predict the AS grades for A2 so that doesnt really help me either. How can I make sure I get in Oxford/cambridge etc

I want to do Maths at uni btw

I'm a maths teacher and your AS results won't get you a Cambridge interview; even if remarks come back an A the UMS won't be high enough. For Maths at Oxford you need to take the MAT; has anyone talked to you about that?

Realistically I think you need to aim for the list posted on page one as they will give you an offer.

These are all good unis ...
Reply 29
Original post by Muttley79
I'm a maths teacher and your AS results won't get you a Cambridge interview; even if remarks come back an A the UMS won't be high enough. For Maths at Oxford you need to take the MAT; has anyone talked to you about that?

Realistically I think you need to aim for the list posted on page one as they will give you an offer.

These are all good unis ...

I dont know what MAT is but im guessing its like the entrance exam?

Well the C is confirmed, but the 2 B's are off for a remark.

My heart is really set out on going oxbridge tbh, i cant take a gap year cos my mum wont let me. I might be Ok with going with warwick but anywhere else I really dont feel like it.
Original post by Pinker1
Well I took the wrong FM module and I got a U in that module so im gonna have to retake at least that cos it turns out I was gonna do that module in my 6th form anyway for Maths so I cldnt do it for FM.

Also as the above person mentioned, do you know if cambridge and warwick can accept people on A2 results day?
That is if I managed to get all A*s with some module retakes

Cambridge will only accept A level offer holders who have met their offer grades and their STEP grades ( a few very near misses for STEP may be taken too at the discretion of the offering College).
It is worth noting that approximately half of Maths offer holders for Cambridge are rejected even when they meet/exceed their A level offer as they fail to make the STEP grades required.
STEP is tough.
I would suggest checking out some STEP papers (see www.admissionstestingservice.org), in fact if you are looking to apply to universities with STEP as a requirement then you should already be doing past paper questions and preparing for the STEP exams.
Check with Warwick re clearing,however I would be surprised if an in demand course like Maths is placed in clearing, they tend to mop up quite a few of the Cambridge/Oxford near misses as it is a popular insurance choice.
Reply 31
Cambridge will only accept A level offer holders who have met their offer grades and their STEP grades ( a few very near misses for STEP may be taken too at the discretion of the offering College).
It is worth noting that approximately half of Maths offer holders for Cambridge are rejected even when they meet/exceed their A level offer as they fail to make the STEP grades required.
STEP is tough.
I would suggest checking out some STEP papers (see www.admissionstestingservice.org), in fact if you are looking to apply to universities with STEP as a requirement then you should already be doing past paper questions and preparing for the STEP exams.
Check with Warwick re clearing,however I would be surprised if an in demand course like Maths is placed in clearing, they tend to mop up quite a few of the Cambridge/Oxford near misses as it is a popular insurance choice.

Oh thanks for the info.

Also, if I manage to convince me teachers to predict my grades to A*A*A* or something like that, is there possiblity of me getting in oxbridge or warwick or will they still rely on my AS grades
You need to speak to your school / college careers service. As Muttley79 says realistically you may well be rejected pre interview at both Oxford and Cambridge, but if you are determined to apply make sure you have four other good choices with a bit of a spread of grade requirements.The deadline for application for Oxbridge is 15th October so if you haven't already started your personal statement and organised your school reference then you need to get things moving.
Original post by Pinker1
I dont know what MAT is but im guessing its like the entrance exam?

Well the C is confirmed, but the 2 B's are off for a remark.

My heart is really set out on going oxbridge tbh, i cant take a gap year cos my mum wont let me. I might be Ok with going with warwick but anywhere else I really dont feel like it.

MAT is the Oxford maths aptitude test - you should be already pracitsing papers if you are a serious candidate.

For Warwick you need STEP and I really would advise that you look at other good unis like Exeter, Bath or Durham.

We regularly send students to Oxbridge and Wariwck so I do know what they look for ...
Original post by Pinker1
Oh thanks for the info.

Also, if I manage to convince me teachers to predict my grades to A*A*A* or something like that, is there possiblity of me getting in Oxbridge or Warwick or will they still rely on my AS grades

With Oxbridge achieved grades at both GCSE and AS level, are taken much more seriously than predictions, because they are just that and can be subject to optimistic over inflation, and I imagine Warwick are just as aware of that.

Both universities have their own tests to assess a candidates ability seperately from A level or any other qualifications.For Oxford you sit the MAT test before interview offers are made. For Cambridge you sit STEP papers after interview. Cambridge interview about 80% of applicants and Oxford about 40%. It is very difficult to get into either for Maths and many candidates with better results than yours are rejected every year.

At this point you may well be better getting onto another universities undergraduate degree course and if you come out with a First and Oxbridge is still the dream apply for a Masters or maybe the Cambridge MASt.
Reply 35
Original post by Muttley79
MAT is the Oxford maths aptitude test - you should be already pracitsing papers if you are a serious candidate.

For Warwick you need STEP and I really would advise that you look at other good unis like Exeter, Bath or Durham.

We regularly send students to Oxbridge and Wariwck so I do know what they look for ...

Warwick have changed their requirements and one option doesn't require STEP (It's A*A*A* or A*A*AA).
https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer/

Also, to the OP, Queens' is fine with a gap year for Mathmos. Some other Cambridge colleges are "neutral", including Christ's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 36
I agree with others that a Cambridge interview is unlikely with those ASs, Whether or not you would get an Oxford interview would largely depend on your MAT score, and it would have to be better than marginal to offset your ASs. That said, that's entirely possible, so you should very much be looking at past MAT papers now if you're considering that route. Oxford interview around 55% of applicants in maths, and do so largely on the basis of MAT scores which all applicants take.

However, like others have said, Oxbridge isn't the be all and end all of getting a good university degree.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pinker1
Oh thanks for the info.

Also, if I manage to convince me teachers to predict my grades to A*A*A* or something like that, is there possiblity of me getting in oxbridge or warwick or will they still rely on my AS grades

Cambridge does not take 'predicted' grades too seriously as they know it's very unreliable and also they get enough info about you to make their own prediction.
As most of others already said, unfortunately your chance of getting an interview for Cambridge is extremely slim, even after remarks and resits. (They don't like more than a very few resits anyway)
I think the real problem is that you've set your heart too firmly on Cambridge, whatever the reason it is. Reading your posts, I'm quite surprised you don't seem to know much about Cambridge (or other top unis) application at all for someone who's so keen to get into them.....
I'd advice you just step back a bit and see the whole picture from wider perspective, calmly.
As someone's said, Cambridge is not be all and end all. There're many other good universities, perhaps much better for you.
Original post by jneill
Warwick have changed their requirements and one option doesn't require STEP (It's A*A*A* or A*A*AA).
https://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/maths/admissions/ug/offer/

Also, to the OP, Queens' is fine with a gap year for Mathmos. Some other Cambridge colleges are "neutral", including Christ's.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did not mention that because the OP is unlikely to achieve that or even be made an offer.

The OP does not seem to be well-informed ... perhaps the school could have helped more?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending