The Student Room Group

Vertical motion under gravity - help needed to find solution

Can anyone help my son find how to calculate the answer to this problem. We have been given the answer but can't arrive at it ...

A ball is thrown vertically upwards from a window 6m above the ground at a velocity of 8m per sec. 1.5 sec later a second ball is dropped from the same window. What distance below the window do they meet? I tried different methods, all gave different results, none of which was the answer given, 0.104 m. Can anyone help work this out please
The equation governing the motion for the balls is:
s=ut+12at2s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2
And bear in mind that the second ball is dropped 1.5s after the first, so t2=t11.5t_2=t_1-1.5
Reply 2
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
The equation governing the motion for the balls is:
s=ut+12at2s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2
And bear in mind that the second ball is dropped 1.5s after the first, so t2=t11.5t_2=t_1-1.5

We were unsure about your second point - although ball 2 is released 1.5 sec after ball 1, does it necessarily follow that its time in flight at the point the balls coincide is 1.5 sec less that that of ball 1 ...
Original post by surreyfrog
We were unsure about your second point - although ball 2 is released 1.5 sec after ball 1, does it necessarily follow that its time in flight at the point the balls coincide is 1.5 sec less that that of ball 1 ...

Yes.

Initial velocities and acceleration are predetermined. The positions are therefore a function of time only. You describe the first ball's position, s1s_1 in terms of time t1t_1. You describe the second ball's position, s2s_2 in terms of time t2t_2. The balls meet when the positions are the same i.e. s1=s2s_1 = s_2. This gives you an equation with the variables t1t_1 and t2t_2. How are these two related? Time progresses at a constant rate in any given inertial frame; the speed differences between the two balls is too insignificant to produce any noticeable relativistic effect on time. As such, the clock of t2t_2 starts ticking 1.5 seconds after that of t1t_1, and at the moment the balls meet, t2t_2 is still 1.5 seconds behind t1t_1
Reply 4
Original post by Chwirkytheappleboy
Yes.

Initial velocities and acceleration are predetermined. The positions are therefore a function of time only. You describe the first ball's position, s1s_1 in terms of time t1t_1. You describe the second ball's position, s2s_2 in terms of time t2t_2. The balls meet when the positions are the same i.e. s1=s2s_1 = s_2. This gives you an equation with the variables t1t_1 and t2t_2. How are these two related? Time progresses at a constant rate in any given inertial frame; the speed differences between the two balls is too insignificant to produce any noticeable relativistic effect on time. As such, the clock of t2t_2 starts ticking 1.5 seconds after that of t1t_1, and at the moment the balls meet, t2t_2 is still 1.5 seconds behind t1t_1

Thank you. It worked.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending