The Student Room Group

Starting uni at 23 or 24?

Did A levels a while back but left my first degree (aware of student finance).

If I started uni again and went to a Russell Group would it make much difference if I was 23 or 24? Are 18-19 year olds not used to making friends with (not dating) someone my age?
Reply 1
I started uni aged 44 and was fine. Students in their mid-20s are no novelty these days. You'll get on with some students younger than you and some of your own age. Maybe you'll even get friendly with students older than you!
You'll be totally fine!! It honestly doesn't matter
Original post by Klix88
I started uni aged 44 and was fine. Students in their mid-20s are no novelty these days. You'll get on with some students younger than you and some of your own age. Maybe you'll even get friendly with students older than you!

Thanks! Which uni were you at?

@coldhell so students don't mind? When I started my 1st degree I was 18 and people were cliquey even without age differences haha
Being 23-24 is not going to be an issue anywhere. You won't look or feel out of place. I am 2-3 years younger than most of my peers and everybody is surprised by it when they find out, but funnily enough when I did a work placement last year people thought I was 4-5 years older than I was because they were used to people your age. If you don't say anything, people will assume you are 19-20, and if you do tell them they will probably go "huh, interesting, why did you decide to do a second degree?" etc.

Or maybe I just went to a less cliquey university :s-smilie:
Original post by desdemonata
Being 23-24 is not going to be an issue anywhere. You won't look or feel out of place. I am 2-3 years younger than most of my peers and everybody is surprised by it when they find out, but funnily enough when I did a work placement last year people thought I was 4-5 years older than I was because they were used to people your age. If you don't say anything, people will assume you are 19-20, and if you do tell them they will probably go "huh, interesting, why did you decide to do a second degree?" etc.

Or maybe I just went to a less cliquey university :s-smilie:

What age did you start uni?
Original post by CorbynsConcubine
What age did you start uni?

Original post by desdemonata

Oh, you meant 2 or 3 years younger in the workplace or on a postgrad course?
Thanks! Which uni were you at?

@coldhell so students don't mind? When I started my 1st degree I was 18 and people were cliquey even without age differences haha
Just avoid those kind of people! They're not worth your time anyway.But sheesh! I actually love talking to people older than me because they're more knowledgeable and have more experience in life so I always come to them for advice or something like that! :biggrin: But it shouldn't matter!!
Oh, you meant 2 or 3 years younger in the workplace or on a postgrad course?

No, I meant I was 2 years younger than everyone else at uni. The only other person who started at 17 was from Scotland, everyone else was usually 19 or about to turn 19. And there were a fair few older people in their early 20s.

When I was doing my placement, there was one girl who was 23 and everyone thought I was her age (I was 19). Once she left I was the youngest person by almost a decade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending