The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Ask a current student - University of Bath

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Hey, I was wondering if you could help me find a current Chemical Engineering student who could give me an insight into their typical week! As in like a timetable of how many hours of lectures etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks :smile:
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Hey!
How is the economics course? I am either going to Bath or Bristol, i have no experience with any of the places, so some advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply 42
I know this is not a direct question about Bath uni but it is a question.

Would anyone on this thread (who is a uni student) be willing to fill out my online questionnaire for my research project? The link is : https://bathreg.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/personality-questionnaire-group-2-2016-copy

It's great procrastination!

I'm a second year psychology student at Bath, so feel free to fire any questions my way :smile:
Reply 43
Question abt accommodation
Which type is better ? Juz wanna know opinion from seniorsss

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by MAN97
Question abt accommodation
Which type is better ? Juz wanna know opinion from seniorsss

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can't go wrong with Eastwood to be honest. Cheapest but does the job, no significant problems. If in doubt, see the review in the OP.

But look at each one and think about which one best suits your need (wheher you need catered credit, a sink in your room, en suite etc) and if you need none of those things then go for Eastwood. :h:
Did you find living with 10 other people too many? Did you get to know them all well?
Original post by sarahemilyglass
Did you find living with 10 other people too many? Did you get to know them all well?

Absolutely not. I loved living with a large number. In fact I got to know quite well all 32 or something living across my floor - and quite a number of others from the other four floors in my building (Quads).

You got to know well everyone in your ten, formed close friends with a couple of them, organised whole floor events (like a Christmas meal we cooked ourselves for 33!!) regularly throughout the year as well as going out or similar things with friends from across the corridor, and then formed specific friends with people on lower floors when we sometimes randomly went to crash in their lounges for no reason at all.

Large number's good - it was a really good year and made it very easy to make close friends with those I shared similar interests and outlooks with, and to get on well with those others who I lived with.

:lol: for me, 10 people was fine. There was one I didn't like at all (and most people, secretly or otherwise, agreed) and I stopped talking to him around January.

The next 4 people were okay, we got on and there weren't any issues but I didn't get to know much.

Then the 4 other people on my floor were the ones I got on best with and are part of my 'friendship circle' now - in fact, I live with 2 of them in my second year now - and those are the people that I got to know better / can go out to see films, eat out or get takeaways etc. And all 5 of us on that floor would just stand outside our bedrooms (or in someone's bedroom) talking about random stuff and it was great.

I think that the others have done a great job of answering this question. I am currently living in Quads, so have the flat of ten. I think that a larger number is beneficial as you are never forced to spend time with with those who you do not get along with. If you were in a smaller flat of five for example, the chances are that you would have to spend a lot more time with that individual.

A larger flat also gives you more ability to have your own time and space, in a larger group people don't really mind if you aren't there. The floors in Quads have multiple flats (I believe between two or three), this gives you the opportunity to mix with people who you do not live with. Some of my closest friends are in other flats in Quads, it is good to have so many people close by.

The social space in Quads can be quite a popular area for people to host events with other friends on campus. That would be my only downside of living with ten in Quads, it can become a bit annoying after a while! This depends entirely on who is in your flat however!

Hayden
Any current chemistry students can advise me how intense chemistry is?
Reply 50
What are the societies like? I know this sounds spoilt but on the bath website I had a look through and they had 85, and they didn't look that great. On the other hand, other unis say they have '100s'. Is this a marketing trick? Are they actually good?
Hello!

I'm Rob, a second year civil engineer.

You are correct in saying that Bath have a little less societies than some other universities - this is not because Bath students are boring or don't get involved in societies. Unlike some other universities, we have a cap on the number of societies. This means that every society can be fully supported financially and resourcefully by the Students Union.

Whilst I have only been to Bath, I personally feel we have a large array of societies and many very active clubs. Societies vary from departmental to coffee society to the film society! Most societies will have an event most weeks. Most students will get involved with one or two societies a year. The full list can be seen here.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you have any further question.

Rob

Original post by albyedw
What are the societies like? I know this sounds spoilt but on the bath website I had a look through and they had 85, and they didn't look that great. On the other hand, other unis say they have '100s'. Is this a marketing trick? Are they actually good?
I have a question for International Management students...where else did you apply?
Original post by albyedw

I'd also add that in addition to 85 societies we also have 45 sports clubs. These cover everything from Lacrosse to Latin and Ballroom Dancing, Kayak Polo to Gymnastics and Horse Riding.

Between the two - sports and societies - it's pretty hard not to find something which appeals.
Reply 54
Thanks, I really liked the sports facilities at bath when i went and im quite into sport so it should be good
Anyone know when we can register for student accommodation? Whenever I try it says 'Registration is currently unavailable.'
Original post by james7777
Anyone know when we can register for student accommodation? Whenever I try it says 'Registration is currently unavailable.'

Registration opens on the 12th April :smile:
If you're going for catered accomodation, what kind of veggie food do you get? Is it quite unhealthy?
Reply 58
Is there someone here currently studying the MSc Protein Structure and Function?
Can you give me some information about the courses?
What's your opinion on this program? Any downsides?
Do you have some tips for me? I'm trying to get an offer for 2016-2017.
Reply 59
Hey thank you Sean for linking me to this!
Just a few questions
1) Is there a huge cost difference in catered vs self-catered?
2) What is the difference in Mathematics/Mathematical Sciences that I saw you mention?
3) What are the study spaces like, specifically does the maths department have its own area and if so what is it like?

This thread has saved me hours and also saved me from lots of stress, so again thank you!

Quick Reply