The Student Room Group

What is the best laptop for a Music tech/Production student at Uni?

I'm planning to start Uni next September doing some kind of music technology/production course. I haven't decided which University I want to go to yet, however my top choices all tend to have Apple Macs in their studios and use software including ProTools and LogicPro.

At the moment I'm using a compaq laptop (which is really glitchy and slow but I'm keeping it for now because all I ever use is Microsoft word) , but I know I will definitley need a new laptop for Uni and I really have no idea where to start!

My Music tech teacher and a few friends have recommended Macs to me, but it's so much money and I'm not willing to part with it if it isnt worth it, or if here are any other options out there that can do the same job/ run the same programs I will be using during my course..

Any suggestions would be awesome, thanks :biggrin:
digital audio workstations tend to be quite heavy on your CPU, but it depends on your use.
I use Ableton live 9 on my laptop, and I have 4GB of memory and 2.2GHz CPU.
It works just fine, but some plugins, such as serum, are quite heavy.
macbooks aren't really worth it if its just for Logic pro, although it would be up there with ableton in terms of functionality.
what's your budget?
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
I'm reluctant to spend over £1000 to be honest, I haven't got that amount of money now but I hopefully will have by next year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending