The Student Room Group

Southampton BM4 Applicants 2016

Hi Guys :-)

I can't see a thread for this already so decided to make one. Is anyone else considering applying to Southampton for GEM?

Scroll to see replies

ME!! (I think...)

I've been hunting for a similar thread, thank you for making it! :smile:
Reply 2
Hi!

I've just made one for Barts aswell :-) I think i've seen you on a few of the GEM threads! I think i'll apply if I think i'll make the cutoff, what about you?
Original post by Jodieee2994
Hi!

I've just made one for Barts aswell :-) I think i've seen you on a few of the GEM threads! I think i'll apply if I think i'll make the cutoff, what about you?

Ha yep, I've commented on that too!! :P

I got a high UKCAT score (huge improvement from last year) so I might apply to only GEM courses. Probably Southampton, Warwick, Barts and Kings. I might switch one for a 5 year course, since I was planning on applying to only 5 year courses before I got my result!

Where are you thinking of applying? And when are you taking the UKCAT??
Reply 4
Original post by SummerSunshine
Ha yep, I've commented on that too!! :P

I got a high UKCAT score (huge improvement from last year) so I might apply to only GEM courses. Probably Southampton, Warwick, Barts and Kings. I might switch one for a 5 year course, since I was planning on applying to only 5 year courses before I got my result!

Where are you thinking of applying? And when are you taking the UKCAT??

I already took it and got 737.5 which i was only hoping for I was convinced I would be applying to all 5 year courses too! I know your UKCAT was huge so massive congrats! (Haha I sound like a stalker :P)

I'm definitely applying to BSMS because i'm studying Biomed at Brighton and I meet their criteria for a guarenteed interview and also Warwick because it looks amazing!! Finding it hard to choose between Barts, Southampton, Kings and Keele (5 year) for my last 2 choices. I got an offer from Keele before so I'm not sure whether to reapply there.

I've just made a King's thread as well, I don't think there's one already.
Reply 6
Hi!

I'm thinking of applying too. Not sure whether to apply for the BM4 or BM5! Guess it depends on how I do on my UKCAT
Reply 7
What was the cutoff last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I've applied! 747.5 UKCAT :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Have you applied before?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by B1525
Have you applied before?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I applied in sixth form but this is my first time at GEP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Current 1st year here, any questions just ask!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 12
Original post by JenniB22
Current 1st year here, any questions just ask!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey :smile: How are you finding it at Southampton? I'm thinking of applying there, but can't decide between Southampton and Birmingham!
I got 773 in ukcat which hopefully will be enough for an interview?
Does anyone know anything about the interview? Is it MMI? I can't seem to see many details about it on their website. Also, any idea how many they interview and how many offers are made? Thanks :smile:
Reply 13
Anyone applying to both the BM4 and BM5?
Reply 14
Original post by ZKay
Anyone applying to both the BM4 and BM5?

Thinking about it, are the interviews identical?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by B1525
Thinking about it, are the interviews identical?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not exactly sure! Rumour is a few years back if you applied for the BM4, they would automatically consider you for the BM5 as well (subject to meeting the requirements). But now it takes up 2 UCAS choices!

I know for the BM4 you need a much higher UKCAT but other than that I think it's the same process! (Not 100% sure, but will definitely email them).

I'm still debating whether to do both, or one, and if so which one :/
Original post by axc247
Hey :smile: How are you finding it at Southampton? I'm thinking of applying there, but can't decide between Southampton and Birmingham!
I got 773 in ukcat which hopefully will be enough for an interview?
Does anyone know anything about the interview? Is it MMI? I can't seem to see many details about it on their website. Also, any idea how many they interview and how many offers are made? Thanks :smile:

So far it's really great! 773 is really good, so unless the scores jump massively this year you'd certainly be safe for an interview.

Interviews consist of one normal interview, with 2 interviewers, and a group exercise, details of which can't be divulged. But it's nothing scary or weird, don't worry!

There are 40 people on the course each year, so they make about 60 offers I think, from about 150ish interviews, but I can't remember exactly on the numbers I'm afraid.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by B1525
What was the cutoff last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by blackraven

Is that on their website? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Clunkles
Is that on their website? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile