The Student Room Group

University with no qualifications

Just after some advice.

I really want to go to university. But I'm 20 years old and have no qualifications at all due to previous personal issues (apart from a Level 1 in Employment, Teamwork and Community Skills from The Prince's Trust and a couple of U, X, D, E GCSEs and E, D, F, U GCSE equivalents).

Is there any chance that any uni's will accept me on a course with a foundation entry?

I emailed University Of Central Lancashire about a Screenwriting in Film, Television and Radio (Foundation Entry) BA (Hons) as Television is the route I want to go down and that course is my first choice should I apply (which I haven't yet as I'd rather to know whether it's worth it before probably getting loads of rejections).

But am I wasting my time?
(edited 8 years ago)
plenty people get on foundation degrees with no quals; go for it
You are unlikely to get into university, even for a foundation year with no GCSEs. I would recommend that you take GCSEs in maths and English this academic year. After that, your best options are an Access to HE course, which is a one-year fast track level 3 course designed to help mature students into university, or a foundation year. The former are offered at most further education colleges. They have much lower tuition fees than foundation years, but you cannot get help from Student Finance. A foundation year at a university is treated as Year 0 of a degree, and you can get normal Student Finance for it.

A foundation degree is different from a foundation year.It can be taken at an FE college, usually takes two years, and can be topped up to a BA/BSc at certain universities. There is a limited choice of foundation degrees, and you may not be able to find anything suitable for screenwriting, etc.
Reply 3
Good advice from Schadenfreude. Most unis will want proof of recent successful study and hopefully UCLan will give you pointers for the course you're interested in.

I would echo the advice that GCSE English and Maths at Grade C or above, are the very minimum you'll need to be considered. Some basic level of literacy and numeracy will be needed for uni, and those will provide the proof.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending