The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Should I do my a levels before starting the open uni?

Hi
I'm really stuck and confused as to what I should do, should I do my a levels before I start a degree with the Open University? I know you don't need qualifications to start a degree with them but I am wondering about future jobs.
Will they care that I don't have a levels and skipped right to a degree?
To the people that have graduated from uni, do you put your a levels on your c.v or not?
I am just worried because I am thinking about doing a degree so I can get a better job in the future and I don't want to finish the degree and employers not want me as they can employ someone who has both a levels and a degree.
I know this probably sounds silly but it is something I would like some advice on so thank you for any replies!
I am aware you can take a levels online but trying to find somewhere who accepts a private candidate for exams/ practicals isn't very easy!
Reply 1
Most of the people do put their A levels into their CV. I think you should do your a levels first as they will give you an idea of what is uni course syllabus like and will help you to manage your stress better as you would have already been through the kind of work unis require.
All the best!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Original post by CCranfield
Hi
I'm really stuck and confused as to what I should do, should I do my a levels before I start a degree with the Open University? I know you don't need qualifications to start a degree with them but I am wondering about future jobs.
To the people that have graduated from uni, do you put your a levels on your c.v or not?
I am just worried because I am thinking about doing a degree so I can get a better job in the future and I don't want to finish the degree and employers not want me as they can employ someone who has both a levels and a degree.
I know this probably sounds silly but it is something I would like some advice on so thank you for any replies!
I am aware you can take a levels online but trying to find somewhere who accepts a private candidate for exams/ practicals isn't very easy!

Most people, I would say, put their A levels on their CV. (I know I do). But with the OU they aren't a requirement for entry and Level One work builds up from GCSE level. But until you finish, or at least get substantially through, the degree then your CV might be a bit bare boned if just have completed/current modules listed unless you have some experience and other qualifications. However usually higher qualifications have more focus than lower ones but A levels are one of those things I've heard employers looking at as well as higher qualifications. But it can depend on the job/employer.

Out of interest why are you considering the OU and what subject(s) are you interested in? And what job/career are you fancying?
I've been to a brick uni and done an OU degree and there are pros and cons to both, it just depends what you want to get out of it and why I suppose.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hi

It would really depend what you want to do after. Some graduate schemes and some (but relatively few) masters/PhD courses require UCAS points or xyz grade at A-level as a basic entry requirement on top of your degree, so if you want to apply for something like this then yes do them.

I'd also say if you're straight out of school it would be worth doing them so you can open up the option of going to a "normal" uni as well because it would be a shame not to do that.
OP how old are you and when did you finish GCSEs? Is there a particular reason you're considering going straight to a degree without A-levels? Is there a particular reason you're considering the OU over a bricks-and-mortar university? Are you working?

If you need to fill some blank space on your CV by all means put your A-levels on, otherwise once you've graduated you can leave them off - they don't really add anything for a potential employer other than telling them what subjects you studied 3 or more years previously.
Original post by SuperCat007
It would really depend what you want to do after. Some graduate schemes and some (but relatively few) masters/PhD courses require UCAS points or xyz grade at A-level as a basic entry requirement on top of your degree, so if you want to apply for something like this then yes do them.

I'd also say if you're straight out of school it would be worth doing them so you can open up the option of going to a "normal" uni as well because it would be a shame not to do that.

^^ agree.
If you are straight out of school you might as well do A levels to keep options open and these days you have to be in education, training or job until 18 I believe anyway.
Reply 6
Original post by laalNick
Most people, I would say, put their A levels on their CV. (I know I do). But with the OU they aren't a requirement for entry and Level One work builds up from GCSE level. But until you finish, or at least get substantially through, the degree then your CV might be a bit bare boned if just have completed/current modules listed unless you have some experience and other qualifications. However usually higher qualifications have more focus than lower ones but A levels are one of those things I've heard employers looking at as well as higher qualifications. But it can depend on the job/employer.

Out of interest why are you considering the OU and what subject(s) are you interested in? And what job/career are you fancying?
I've been to a brick uni and done an OU degree and there are pros and cons to both, it just depends what you want to get out of it and why I suppose.

Thank you for your reply!
That is the other thing that is making me think I need to do a levels first, as it would be difficult for me to leave my job and progress onto something better as I don't have anything to put on my c.v. I would have to wait 3/4 years before I could do that and I don't think I can stay at my current job for that long haha.
I am considering the OU as I am 22 and can't afford to not work full time anymore due to rent. I would have liked to have the option to go to a brick uni but I don't think that's really an option for me right now unfortunately. I'm not sure what career i really want so I was thinking of doing a math degree as I've heard that it's rated highly by employers and gives you quite a wide range of options. I also really enjoyed math while I was at school so that was my main reason for choosing that subject!
Reply 7
Original post by Duncan2012
OP how old are you and when did you finish GCSEs? Is there a particular reason you're considering going straight to a degree without A-levels? Is there a particular reason you're considering the OU over a bricks-and-mortar university? Are you working?

If you need to fill some blank space on your CV by all means put your A-levels on, otherwise once you've graduated you can leave them off - they don't really add anything for a potential employer other than telling them what subjects you studied 3 or more years previously.

I am 22 and I finished my GCSEs in 2009. I went on to do my a levels after that but unfortunately it was a bad time for me personally so I lost all my motivation and by 2nd year I was barely going to my lessons. I have a C in sociology a D in biology and a E in business studies at AS level. In my A2s I got all Us for obvious reasons. It didn't really bother me until now as I'm not happy in my job and I know I need to educate myself so I can change that. I'm just worried about the time aspect which is why I'm thinking of skipping straight to a degree. A levels will add an extra 2 years on to the process. Yes I am working so that is why OU is appealing to me as I cannot really afford to stop working full time.
Thank you for your reply!
That is the other thing that is making me think I need to do a levels first, as it would be difficult for me to leave my job and progress onto something better as I don't have anything to put on my c.v. I would have to wait 3/4 years before I could do that and I don't think I can stay at my current job for that long haha.
I am considering the OU as I am 22 and can't afford to not work full time anymore due to rent. I would have liked to have the option to go to a brick uni but I don't think that's really an option for me right now unfortunately. I'm not sure what career i really want so I was thinking of doing a math degree as I've heard that it's rated highly by employers and gives you quite a wide range of options. I also really enjoyed math while I was at school so that was my main reason for choosing that subject!

Thanks for a bit more background info.

If you want to do A levels, have a look around, some colleges offer evening classes so they might fit around work and/or you could buy the text books yourself and self teach (plenty of good websites out there too) as long as you can register at a local school/college as a private candidate. That would be a lot cheaper than going through a distance learning provider (which still require you to register somewhere as a private candidate) which apparently get more tutor support but I have no experience. What A levels would you fancy doing? Maths? Maths A level I would say could be done in a year (I did it in a year at 6th form) but what do you want to do alongside it?

Or if you went straight for the OU, you could register for the Certificate of Maths http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/t14 which is the level 1 of a degree and would take a year 'full time' or could split into 2 part time. Complete and claim that and later on could use it towards the degree and start level 2 then 3...but you would have the interim Certificate qualification to go on your CV whilst you do level 2. Although you will have to ring OU as think they changed how you claim interim qualifications as you can't claim certificate/diploma if registered for degree but you can, I believe, register for certificate then use that as 'credit transfer' towards the higher qualifications....
Level 1 will start off GCSE sort of level and advance pretty fast to the end covering a bit of A level stuff before moving onto Uni level as such. So if you did A levels first you would probably find it repeating.
I did A levels, Diploma at Brick uni then did a full degree in Maths & Computing at the OU.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest