The Student Room Group

Boyfriend is getting fatter and fatter!

We've been together 2 years and when we first started going out he was skinny fat... But more skinny than fat. He's probably gained about 2/3 stone since then and now it's getting to the point where he is visibly fat and there are rolls. I'm really turned off by overweight guys and just the feeling of his belly makes me cringe. He wonders why idon't want sex anymore.

It's such a sore subject for him he refuses to talk about it. He won't go shopping for new clothes because he's embarrassed about none of them fitting. He won't address his eating habits as he is "too busy" and he apparently doesn't have time to exercise. I thought maybe once his job settled down he would actually do something about his weight. But no.

It's just not an attitude i can get on board with. I'm quite health conscious and yes although i indulge sometimes i know my body and try to keep it attractive for my boyfriend. I go to the gym 3/4x a week. He will not even contemplate joining me.

I'm honestly at my wits end here. It's getting to the point where I'm just gonna have to spell it out for him. Do you think this is wise?

Scroll to see replies

Yeah, tell him he's a fat **** and that you're not attracted to him anymore so loose the weight.
Harsh realities are in order, especially as he's burying his head in the sand.
(edited 8 years ago)
If this was the other way around I imagine the replies would be "love her for who she is" or "you don't deserve her." Now it's the male getting fat I imagine it'll all be "tell him he's fat" "move on"

Looooool
Reply 4
Original post by The Wavefunction
If this was the other way around I imagine the replies would be "love her for who she is" or "you don't deserve her." Now it's the male getting fat I imagine it'll all be "tell him he's fat" "move on"

Looooool

I wouldn't expect a guy to put up with me piling on the pounds. If he said something I'd make sure I did something about it. We can't just all let ourselves go.
It may be a hard subject to talk about but you definitely should, especially since it's affecting your relationship. Just do your best to make it sound like you're genuinely worried about his health and not his appearance because all that's going to do is lead to insecurities.
Tell him his love only matters insofar as what it makes him do or be.
Reply 7
Nasty OP. How dare you critique his weight. Big is beautiful. Oh the matriarchy.

Now that I've stopped trolling women and their hypocrisy I will say that you should be direct. Inform him that if he has an hour to watch TV then he has an hour to exercise and that he has 3 months to lose a stone or you'll dump him for a physically superior male.
Reply 8
Original post by The Wavefunction

Looooool

"Her body, her choice", "you have no right over her body", etc.
Being tubby means better cuddles ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Anonymous
I wouldn't expect a guy to put up with me piling on the pounds. If he said something I'd make sure I did something about it. We can't just all let ourselves go.

I'm with you, I wouldn't be attracted to someone piling on the pounds. It's just if be critisized an awful lot more as if be saying it about a girl.
Original post by Josb
"Her body, her choice", "you have no right over her body", etc.

You've got it
Tell him you are worried about his long term health.
Reply 13
It's funny how quick people are to support the female OP and tell her to tell him to lose weight. I seem to remember exactly the same thread made by a male and everyone was supporting his fat girlfriend. The hypocrisy of people is quite astounding.

His body his choice, you don't like him be the selfish woman you are and break up with him.
Not being attracted to him is a perfectly valid reason to break up with someone. I'd advise giving a different reason during the actual process to spare his feelings, but you shouldn't feel extraordinarily guilty about it. The same would apply regardless of gender.

'Their body, their choice' still applies of course. It's their choice to put on weight and lead a sedentary lifestyle. And it's your choice to leave a relationship which you're unhappy with.
This is a prime example of one thing for women according to feminazis and another for men
it may be he has just got big bones ? :dontknow:

:hmmmm2:
If this thread was started by a male.....he would have been struck down by the female barmy army by now!!!
Reply 18
love him for who he is
Original post by Mancini
It's funny how quick people are to support the female OP and tell her to tell him to lose weight. I seem to remember exactly the same thread made by a male and everyone was supporting his fat girlfriend. The hypocrisy of people is quite astounding.

His body his choice, you don't like him be the selfish woman you are and break up with him.

I think that largely is due to insecure women giving defensive reactions tbh.
Women tend to be a lot more insecure about their weight than men, so it's more likely to hit a nerve with a lot more women.

Men are more simple, taking an 'if he's fat, then lose weight' type attitude. And I agree with that to be honest. I hate it when people let themselves go when in stable relationships.

Latest

Trending

Trending