The Student Room Group

Bristol maths and engineering course job prospectus

I was just wondering what kind of jobs you can do in the maths and engineering course. Can you do the same things that you can do from a regular maths course such as finance, actuary, accountancy, banking etc or is it just mainly becoming an engineer?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Bristol to study maths and recently come across this course so would like to get to know more about it.
Reply 1
Anyone??
Original post by Recky101
I was just wondering what kind of jobs you can do in the maths and engineering course. Can you do the same things that you can do from a regular maths course such as finance, actuary, accountancy, banking etc or is it just mainly becoming an engineer?? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in Bristol to study maths and recently come across this course so would like to get to know more about it.

Given that you can do most of those types of jobs with any degree, yes, you could also do them with an engineering maths degree. In fact I think it would be mainly the mathematical types of jobs that you would get with such a degree, on the basis that most engineering positions want a discipline specific (e.g. mechanical, civil etc.) degree, or at least a heavily mathematical job in engineering, e.g. maybe something like writing FEA or CFD software. Definitely something to query the university directly about, though, as I believe it's a unique degree in the UK.
Reply 3
Original post by Smack
Given that you can do most of those types of jobs with any degree, yes, you could also do them with an engineering maths degree. In fact I think it would be mainly the mathematical types of jobs that you would get with such a degree, on the basis that most engineering positions want a discipline specific (e.g. mechanical, civil etc.) degree, or at least a heavily mathematical job in engineering, e.g. maybe something like writing FEA or CFD software. Definitely something to query the university directly about, though, as I believe it's a unique degree in the UK.

Thank you, I'll speak to the proffessors

Quick Reply

Latest