The Student Room Group

Should i do Maths or Chemistry

Hi,

I'm currently in year 13, and am having a bit of a crisis! I've written my personal statement for chemistry and have done all the relevant work experience, as i believed from year 11 onward that i wanted to do a chemistry degree. However, in year 12, i found that i wasn't enjoying chemistry as much as i hoped i would, but i really found that i was enjoying maths, and it was my favorite subject. I found that my chemistry lessons dragged on, but i looked forward to maths lessons! I studies Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics as AS, getting 4 A's, and dropped Physics at A2. I feel like i have a similar ability in both subjects, i was always put off of doing a maths degree as i felt that i wasn't good enough at maths, however i feel that my AS results changed that opinion a bit. I'm predicted A/A* for Maths (not yet decided), A for Further Maths and A for Chemistry. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what i should do, as i'm worried about changing my degree choice only a few months before my UCAS needs to be in.

Thanks!
Original post by Alirna
Hi,

I'm currently in year 13, and am having a bit of a crisis! I've written my personal statement for chemistry and have done all the relevant work experience, as i believed from year 11 onward that i wanted to do a chemistry degree. However, in year 12, i found that i wasn't enjoying chemistry as much as i hoped i would, but i really found that i was enjoying maths, and it was my favorite subject. I found that my chemistry lessons dragged on, but i looked forward to maths lessons! I studies Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry and Physics as AS, getting 4 A's, and dropped Physics at A2. I feel like i have a similar ability in both subjects, i was always put off of doing a maths degree as i felt that i wasn't good enough at maths, however i feel that my AS results changed that opinion a bit. I'm predicted A/A* for Maths (not yet decided), A for Further Maths and A for Chemistry. I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on what i should do, as i'm worried about changing my degree choice only a few months before my UCAS needs to be in.

Thanks!

Hi

From my experience I would recommend you do something you enjoy, in this case chemistry. If you don't enjoy it at A level you will not enjoy it at degree level. You still have plenty of time to do ucas, if you feel like you enjoy maths then go for it. You're doing further maths aswell so thats good. I did those same subjects and my mind also changed whilst doing a levels.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Alirna
Hi,

Thanks!

Also check out the uni websites for the breakdown of the modules, it will give you a better idea of the subject at degree level.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Alirna
Hi,

Thanks!

I'd suggest using ucas course search to look on courses related to the subject you're doing. Try and look at flexible degrees( such as joint honours e.g. Maths with chemistry). Then look at each course modules for each unis you like.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending