The Student Room Group

UEA A100 Applicants 2016 Entry

Hey! Anyone else thinking of applying here?

I'm definitely applying here, loved the UEA open day!

Here's a link to their website
https://www.uea.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/degree/detail/mbbs-medicine

Here's a link to the offer holders group https://www.facebook.com/groups/169163873460329/
UEA.jpg
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm definitely applying - love Norwich! Does anyone know if there is a scoring system - I can't see one? As I see they invite to interview based on academics & UKCAT. Good luck to everyone looking to apply here! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by laura143
I'm definitely applying - love Norwich! Does anyone know if there is a scoring system - I can't see one? As I see they invite to interview based on academics & UKCAT. Good luck to everyone looking to apply here! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Awesome :smile: UEA are very secretive about their selection process! Looking at last years thread its 1/3 GCSE, 1/3 AS/A2 and a 1/3 UKCAT and they apparently look at your best 8 GCSEs including Maths, English and 2/3 Sciences.
After interview they still use your UKCAT as part of deciding who to give offers to. Good luck to you :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by kdizzle97
Awesome :smile: UEA are very secretive about their selection process! Looking at last years thread its 1/3 GCSE, 1/3 AS/A2 and a 1/3 UKCAT and they apparently look at your best 8 GCSEs including Maths, English and 2/3 Sciences.
After interview they still use your UKCAT as part of deciding who to give offers to. Good luck to you :biggrin:

Hi, I'm also probably going to apply to UEA. I called them up today and they basically told me what you said (1/3 GCSE, 1/3 UKCAT, 1/3 AS/A2).
Good luck to both of you btw. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks - I couldn't get to the last open day and have been trying to find out their selection process. The only thing I'm worried about out of those 3 components is my UKCAT (665). Have applied anyway - just hope it's ok. Do you know if they use an initial cutoff or section cutoff? I emailed to ask and they said all the info was on their website.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Joel5001
Hi, I'm also probably going to apply to UEA. I called them up today and they basically told me what you said (1/3 GCSE, 1/3 UKCAT, 1/3 AS/A2).
Good luck to both of you btw. :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Good luck to you! Awesome :smile:

Original post by Peterchart
Thanks - I couldn't get to the last open day and have been trying to find out their selection process. The only thing I'm worried about out of those 3 components is my UKCAT (665). Have applied anyway - just hope it's ok. Do you know if they use an initial cutoff or section cutoff? I emailed to ask and they said all the info was on their website.

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't use a cut off, all they say is that people with a UKCAT of less than 600 is unlikely to get an interview so your score should be fine if your academics are strong :smile: I believe they score your UCKAT,GCSEs and AS/A2 and interview the top whatever scores.
Reply 6
Does anyone know if the academic criteria are also used after/alongside interview stage or do they do interviews with a clean slate?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Do UEA consider the SJT part of the ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I'm applying to the UEA, love the uni and the local area!
Good luck to you! Awesome :smile:

They don't use a cut off, all they say is that people with a UKCAT of less than 600 is unlikely to get an interview so your score should be fine if your academics are strong :smile: I believe they score your UCKAT,GCSEs and AS/A2 and interview the top whatever scores.

OK thats great. I've got 9A*s and AAAA at AS so sounds OK for me :smile: Thanks for the help.
Reply 10
Original post by Joel5001
Does anyone know if the academic criteria are also used after/alongside interview stage or do they do interviews with a clean slate?
Posted from TSR Mobile

After the interview, they rank you based on your interview performance and your UKCAT!

Original post by Random20
I'm applying to the UEA, love the uni and the local area!

Awesome! Norwich is lovely :smile:

OK thats great. I've got 9A*s and AAAA at AS so sounds OK for me :smile: Thanks for the help.

You should be fine then! Awesome grades :biggrin:
Awesome! Norwich is lovely :smile:

And I have a guaranteed interview, which I'm pleased about!
Reply 12
Surely they shouldn't use UKCAT scores after interview because then applicants with low UKCAT scores are automatically at a disadvantage :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
After the interview, they rank you based on your interview performance and your UKCAT!

Thanks mate

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Hey!

I am a first year Medic at UEA, I know that it's that time of year where you all have to do UKCAT, Personal Statements etc etc and it can be really tough! I want to help you all get here, so feel free to ask me anything and enjoy the painful but amazing experience of applying to Med School over the next few months, I'll stick with you throughout it!
I also got offers from Barts, BSMS and St. George's so if you have any questions about those Uni's then go for it!
Good luck with everything, get your applications sent asap and yeah drop me a message!
One question, is this the new Official UEA Medicine 16 thread?

Kind Regards,
Scott
Original post by scotta7x
Hey!

I am a first year Medic at UEA, I know that it's that time of year where you all have to do UKCAT, Personal Statements etc etc and it can be really tough! I want to help you all get here, so feel free to ask me anything and enjoy the painful but amazing experience of applying to Med School over the next few months, I'll stick with you throughout it!
I also got offers from Barts, BSMS and St. George's so if you have any questions about those Uni's then go for it!
Good luck with everything, get your applications sent asap and yeah drop me a message!
One question, is this the new Official UEA Medicine 16 thread?

Kind Regards,
Scott

Hi and thanks for offering to help! How have your first few weeks been? I couldn't get to the open day but have applied anyway because I like what I've heard about UEA from family and online. But I'm not sure how supported the PBL sessions are. Do you have tutors sitting in with your groups guiding you all the time? And how is the PBL going for you so far?
Reply 16
Hi and thanks for offering to help! How have your first few weeks been? I couldn't get to the open day but have applied anyway because I like what I've heard about UEA from family and online. But I'm not sure how supported the PBL sessions are. Do you have tutors sitting in with your groups guiding you all the time? And how is the PBL going for you so far?

Hey, it's been a strong start but it's absolutely fantastic!!
I never went to the open day either! I only first visited with my family after applying as it's an open campus so you can just walk around.
Although it is a PBL course, I wouldn't stress too much about it. The thing no one told me was that everything you cover in PBL is also taught in lectures to make sure you learn the right thing! The main aim is to promote a different way of learning, presenting and group work.
You do have a tutor sitting at the back every session. They are supposed to observe and help if necessary, which in the early days is quite a bit. You also get given the LO's for that week at the end of the session so you will never learn the wrong thing!
PBL is going great, it is really, really fun! It depends on your tutor and group but my tutor is fantastic and really helpful & kind, so we have breaks, snacks etc. My group are great as well so I find PBL really useful. You only have one PBL session a week and you present back your research for that week and then start a new scenario.

If you want me to explain in even MORE detail I can, but I think I've covered most of it! Haha
Original post by scotta7x
Hey, it's been a strong start but it's absolutely fantastic!!
I never went to the open day either! I only first visited with my family after applying as it's an open campus so you can just walk around.
Although it is a PBL course, I wouldn't stress too much about it. The thing no one told me was that everything you cover in PBL is also taught in lectures to make sure you learn the right thing! The main aim is to promote a different way of learning, presenting and group work.
You do have a tutor sitting at the back every session. They are supposed to observe and help if necessary, which in the early days is quite a bit. You also get given the LO's for that week at the end of the session so you will never learn the wrong thing!
PBL is going great, it is really, really fun! It depends on your tutor and group but my tutor is fantastic and really helpful & kind, so we have breaks, snacks etc. My group are great as well so I find PBL really useful. You only have one PBL session a week and you present back your research for that week and then start a new scenario.

If you want me to explain in even MORE detail I can, but I think I've covered most of it! Haha

Thanks :smile: That's really helpful. And glad its living up to your expectations! Did you have a look round during the week or on a saturday? and was it OK to look in the Medical School itself (is that what they call the Bob Champion buildings)?.
Reply 18
Thanks :smile: That's really helpful. And glad its living up to your expectations! Did you have a look round during the week or on a saturday? and was it OK to look in the Medical School itself (is that what they call the Bob Champion buildings)?.

I think during the week, but it was months ago. I didn't wander into the Medical building as it's for students, but all that's in there are PBL rooms.
The Medical school is on campus, the Bob Champion building is different and is off campus. It is where you have Year 1 lectures. It's about a 20/30min walk from your room depending where you get accommodation. Long trek for a 9am start so I'm hopefully getting a bike!
Original post by Random20
And I have a guaranteed interview, which I'm pleased about!

Nice! I haven't heard of guaranteed interviews. How does that work?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending