The Student Room Group

Higher Psychology 2015/2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ASugar
I believe it will be fine - see below from SQA websiteFound the following from SQA website..."The report may be produced in written form or be word-processed. Whichever is used, the assignment should be submitted on paper to SQA for marking. The report should be between 2,000 and 2,500 words long, excluding references, footnotes and appendices. The candidate must provide the word count for the completed report, excluding appendices, footnotes and references. If the word count exceeds the maximum by 10%, a penalty will be applied. The candidate must provide a list of references for sources referred to in their report. The references can be provided in any format that enables another person to find the source of information...."My assignment is almost complete. I'm hoping it is okPosted from TSR Mobile

Thanks ASugar, I am like a 100 words over and I have just cut so much already so hopefully if what they are saying is right then I should be okay.
Same here, just finished my second draft. Have you finished the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 61
Yes just about. Making up notes to revise from. My word count is 2735 - so I cut it fine. That's excluding references and appendices

Original post by redddddd

Thanks ASugar, I am like a 100 words over and I have just cut so much already so hopefully if what they are saying is right then I should be okay.
Same here, just finished my second draft. Have you finished the course?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 62
Does anyone know if the references within the body of text are counted in the word count? (I know the reference page etc isn't counted. I'm already 2537 but need to tweak a few things.
Original post by Emizi
Does anyone know if the references within the body of text are counted in the word count? (I know the reference page etc isn't counted. I'm already 2537 but need to tweak a few things.

I am not sure but I think it would count if it's within the text - I have like 2660 words and I am sending it like that because its in the 10% boundary so would not be penalised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 64
I agree

QUOTE=redddddd;63630749]I am not sure but I think it would count if it's within the text - I have like 2660 words and I am sending it like that because its in the 10% boundary so would not be penalised.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Okay cheers. Sorry mines at 2737. So I've nearly used the full 10% but it is finished, I just need to proof read and tweak a few bits.

We were advised to write the material part as a list, then told it should be a paragraph. How were you guys told to do it? I don't have the word count to make it into a paragraph.
Reply 66
Mines is in the form of a paragraph. More due to good fortune rather than design

Original post by Emizi
Okay cheers. Sorry mines at 2737. So I've nearly used the full 10% but it is finished, I just need to proof read and tweak a few bits.

We were advised to write the material part as a list, then told it should be a paragraph. How were you guys told to do it? I don't have the word count to make it into a paragraph.
Reply 67
Original post by ASugar
Mines is in the form of a paragraph. More due to good fortune rather than design

Haha, it's having to write appendix after it each time, eats into the word count :frown:.
Original post by Emizi

Hmm I had mine in a paragraph but I changed it into bullets because I was cutting down on words - had like 3000.
Should I change it back into a paragraph then??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 69
Hmm I had mine in a paragraph but I changed it into bullets because I was cutting down on words - had like 3000.
Should I change it back into a paragraph then??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Apparently every other year has usually been bullet points, but our tutor said this year they have changed it. She had a quick flick through mine and said the other content is too good to remove to allow me to turn my materials section into a paragraph. She just warned me that I may loose a mark here for having it as bullet points but I should make up the mark else where.

Not sure there is a right or wrong decision to make here; looks like it's going to be a judgement call.
Original post by Emizi
Apparently every other year has usually been bullet points, but our tutor said this year they have changed it. She had a quick flick through mine and said the other content is too good to remove to allow me to turn my materials section into a paragraph. She just warned me that I may loose a mark here for having it as bullet points but I should make up the mark else where.

Not sure there is a right or wrong decision to make here; looks like it's going to be a judgement call.

Okay doke thanks
I'll ask my teacher just to confirm, she's an SQA marker

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 71
Okay doke thanks
I'll ask my teacher just to confirm, she's an SQA marker

Posted from TSR Mobile

Brilliant :smile:.
Reply 72
Ugh... I'm now over by 47 words and still ideally need to add more in about ISI and NSI and elaborate on my application to wellbeing. I literally cannot cut anymore words out and stick in any more commas, colons etc...

:'(
Original post by Emizi
Ugh... I'm now over by 47 words and still ideally need to add more in about ISI and NSI and elaborate on my application to wellbeing. I literally cannot cut anymore words out and stick in any more commas, colons etc...

:'(

Ask your teacher, she or he might help you take out bits that you don't really need

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 74
Ask your teacher, she or he might help you take out bits that you don't really need

Posted from TSR Mobile

She said she would only look over them once and they're ready for submission on Tuesday. I'm going to just have to try my best. Psychology isn't one of my requirements for entry to University but I still don't want to do bad :frown:.
Original post by Emizi
She said she would only look over them once and they're ready for submission on Tuesday. I'm going to just have to try my best. Psychology isn't one of my requirements for entry to University but I still don't want to do bad :frown:.

Hmm okay, she should be looking at least twice but I guess it's her choice.
Then try merging some sentences, take unneeded small words here and there. Also if you have tables, they are not counted in the word count or any graphs from what I have been told

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
Hmm okay, she should be looking at least twice but I guess it's her choice.
Then try merging some sentences, take unneeded small words here and there. Also if you have tables, they are not counted in the word count or any graphs from what I have been told

Posted from TSR Mobile

She's a stickler for the rules and obviously teaches two college classes and one high school class, so that's potentially 60 assignments to check. Yeah I utilised tables for my EH and Null and results. Don't think I can stick any more in without it looking a bit weird. She said it was mid 30's to high 30's as it was and said to add in what I could but not to take anything out. I've closed it down tonight and I'll come back to it tomorrow and see if I can go over it with new eyes.
Thanks for your help :smile:
Reply 77
That's mine finished also. I'm not sure I'm 100% happy with it but then I wasn't happy with my graded unit for my HNC either. Ready for submission tomorrow. :/
lmao in my experiment one guy got stuck to a table
Original post by The999Theory
lmao in my experiment one guy got stuck to a table

What do you mean? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending