The Student Room Group

A100 Edinburgh Medicine - 2016 Entry

Does anyone know whether SJT Band 2 alone would severely damage my application?

Thanks in advance!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Does anyone know whether SJT Band 2 alone would severely damage my application?

Thanks in advance!
Reply 2
edinburgh uses a point system for applications and apparently most applications that get offers have at least 37 out of 40 points, so a band 2 would mean that you lose one or two points, but if all your other stats are fine then it wouldn't be that bad for your application
Is there another edinburgh a100 thread? This thread is eerily quiet.....good luck everyone!
OHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
so edinburgh just realised the score that was required to get into their octiles for ukcat scoring (as they rank us all on our UKCAT score and give us a score out of 8 depending on which octile you fall into). To get into the second octile, you needed to get into the 95th percentile (out of everyone who sat the UKCAT), wtthh?!?!?!?!??! To get into the first octile, you needed to be in the 100th percentile.............what a joke
if you dont get into the 2nd octile, youve already lost 2 points (out of 40) so you have to be absolutely perfect in everything else (including your personal statement assessment which is very very subjective) in order to get an offer

what a joke

so unless you have a UKCAT of like 3200 dont bother applying (even if you have a UKCAT of like 2800, you cant garuntee that you wont lose points in your personal statement), itll be a wasted application

you'll lose three points from your score for your personal statement being 'average' (judged in relation to all of the other incredible medicine applicants - who, by the way, are all very smart people and equally, if not more, talented as you....
Reply 5
Original post by asdfghjkl10
OHHHH MYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY
so edinburgh just realised the score that was required to get into their octiles for ukcat scoring (as they rank us all on our UKCAT score and give us a score out of 8 depending on which octile you fall into). To get into the second octile, you needed to get into the 95th percentile (out of everyone who sat the UKCAT), wtthh?!?!?!?!??! To get into the first octile, you needed to be in the 100th percentile.............what a joke
if you dont get into the 2nd octile, youve already lost 2 points (out of 40) so you have to be absolutely perfect in everything else (including your personal statement assessment which is very very subjective) in order to get an offer

what a joke

so unless you have a UKCAT of like 3200 dont bother applying (even if you have a UKCAT of like 2800, you cant garuntee that you wont lose points in your personal statement), itll be a wasted application

you'll lose three points from your score for your personal statement being 'average' (judged in relation to all of the other incredible medicine applicants - who, by the way, are all very smart people and equally, if not more, talented as you....
where did you get this information from?
(edited 8 years ago)
i got the info from a combination of using the UKCAT.ac.uk published decile score breakdowns (for 2012-2014) and then, on Edinburgh's website, I found published statistics for their Medicine A100 course (2013 to 2015 entry) and apart from that, I know about their scoring system (the one out of 40 points where the UKCAT octiles makes up 8 points of this)....you need 37/40 to get in as a home/ scottish applicant and 38 as a RuK applicant!!!

Original post by idklol
where did you get this information from?
Reply 7
i got the info from a combination of using the UKCAT.ac.uk published decile score breakdowns (for 2012-2014) and then, on Edinburgh's website, I found published statistics for their Medicine A100 course (2013 to 2015 entry) and apart from that, I know about their scoring system (the one out of 40 points where the UKCAT octiles makes up 8 points of this)....you need 37/40 to get in as a home/ scottish applicant and 38 as a RuK applicant!!!

This is simply not true. I have spoken to an admissions representative for this course at Edinburgh and they confirmed that, with my UKCAT score of 3040 (far lower than the 3200 you suggest), I would have been within the 1st octile for UKCAT scores in the 2014/2015 admissions cycle.
Original post by AB12345678
This is simply not true. I have spoken to an admissions representative for this course at Edinburgh and they confirmed that, with my UKCAT score of 3040 (far lower than the 3200 you suggest), I would have been within the 1st octile for UKCAT scores in the 2014/2015 admissions cycle.

I was exaggerating to prove my point about the required UKCAT score...well done for your score which is amazing. Most of us with about 2850/2900 (what is thought to be a decent score this year) do not fall into the top octile...this was my point
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 9
I was exaggerating to prove my point about the required UKCAT score...well done for your score which is amazing. Most of us with about 2850/2900 (what is thought to be a decent score this year) do not fall into the top octile...this was my point

Oh I see! Sorry, my bad - hardly seems fair that score isn't in the top octile, thanks by the way!
Original post by AB12345678
Oh I see! Sorry, my bad - hardly seems fair that score isn't in the top octile, thanks by the way!

2015 entry's top octile was from 2880-3600, this other guy seems to be full of bs
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2015.pdf
Does anyone know how they use SJ ?
Original post by not you
2015 entry's top octile was from 2880-3600, this other guy seems to be full of bs
http://www.ed.ac.uk/files/atoms/files//disclosure_of_information_-_sept_2015.pdf

and you think this year's ukcat average is going to be as low as last year's?.....you're living on a planet if you think that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if this year was just like 2013 (2014 entry) where the DA was far too easy - only this year, people have scored way to high on QR in general.....

so don't be surprised if you need 3100 or so to get into the top octile and above 2970 to get into the second octile (as was the case in 2013)

I am speculating so don't call this 'bs'...im just being realistic as to whether I should throw away an application or not....and helping you guys to avoid doing the same
Reply 13
Original post by anvar333
Does anyone know how they use SJ ?

They give you a score - so 3 points for Band 1, 2 points for Band 2 etc. This amounts to a 15% weighting in the entire admissions process (presumably because they don't interview). Your scoring overall is out of 20, but as 2 separate people will be scoring you, your total score that Edinburgh will make decisions on is out of 40. This means there is a total of 6/40 points up for grabs for SJT :biggrin:.

Hope I haven't confused you!
and you think this year's ukcat average is going to be as low as last year's?.....you're living on a planet if you think that's the case, I wouldn't be surprised if this year was just like 2013 (2014 entry) where the DA was far too easy - only this year, people have scored way to high on QR in general.....

so don't be surprised if you need 3100 or so to get into the top octile and above 2970 to get into the second octile (as was the case in 2013)

I am speculating so don't call this 'bs'...im just being realistic as to whether I should throw away an application or not....and helping you guys to avoid doing the same

To be honest, I don't believe you're speculating accurately at all. It seems like you're trying to dissuade other people from applying to reduce competition for yourself or something like that.

Many people have not scored high on QR or the UKCAT as a whole, and from a limited range of people from TSR and applicants I know, the average score seems to be around 650 (2600) this year. To say it's likely to be as high as 3100 would be stupid as the octiles are set according to the average score of applicants, who are obviously not all achieving 775 averages. Unless of course the range of people I am referencing are all below average and most people are actually getting 750+ on their UKCAT.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by not you
To be honest, I don't believe you're speculating accurately at all. It seems like you're trying to dissuade other people from applying to reduce competition for yourself or something like that.

Many people have not scored high on QR or the UKCAT as a whole, and from a limited range of people from TSR and applicants I know, the average score seems to be around 650 (2600) this year. To say it's likely to be as high as 3100 would be stupid as the octiles are set according to the average score of applicants, who are obviously not all achieving 775 averages. Unless of course the range of people I am referencing are all below average and most people are actually getting 750+ on their UKCAT.

You kind of shot yourself in the foot there....you said 'the average score seems to be around 650 this year'. In 2013 (for 2014 entry), the UKCAT average was 654. This should mean,theoretically, (hence the reason that I'm only speculating) the octile score boundaries are roughly the same as that of 2014 entry.........

for 2014 entry, you needed 742.5 or above to get into the top QUARTILE (i.e. to get into the 2nd octile or higher)........

POINT PROVEN
You kind of shot yourself in the foot there....you said 'the average score seems to be around 650 this year'. In 2013 (for 2014 entry), the UKCAT average was 654. This should mean,theoretically, (hence the reason that I'm only speculating) the octile score boundaries are roughly the same as that of 2014 entry.........

for 2014 entry, you needed 742.5 or above to get into the top QUARTILE (i.e. to get into the 2nd octile or higher)........

POINT PROVEN

For 2014 entry the average applicant had a 691 average. 2015 had 647 average, and 2013 entry had 654 average. You can tell it's not 2013 for 2014 entry because if you apply that logic to the 2015 column you get 2015 for 2016 entry which hasn't happened yet.
Anyway, the outlier here is the (2014) 691 average, and according to you, 2014 was the year they made DA too easy, hence the high scores. This means that we can expect this year's averages and therefore octiles to be similar to the other two years, and as 2015 is the only year with octiles so far, it's perfectly fine to base it off of that. And also, if the year with easy DA had 691 average and this year I'm seeing around 650 average, your claim of an easy QR doesn't seem to hold up unless they all did badly in every other section.

Your data is inconsistent, the 742.5 average top octile comes from the 2014 column, which has the 691 average applicant, not 654. And I didn't say anything about 742.5 being unrealistic, I was referring to the 3100 (775 average) that you were stating being unrealistic.
Original post by not you
For 2014 entry the average applicant had a 691 average. 2015 had 647 average, and 2013 entry had 654 average. You can tell it's not 2013 for 2014 entry because if you apply that logic to the 2015 column you get 2015 for 2016 entry which hasn't happened yet.
Anyway, the outlier here is the (2014) 691 average, and according to you, 2014 was the year they made DA too easy, hence the high scores. This means that we can expect this year's averages and therefore octiles to be similar to the other two years, and as 2015 is the only year with octiles so far, it's perfectly fine to base it off of that. And also, if the year with easy DA had 691 average and this year I'm seeing around 650 average, your claim of an easy QR doesn't seem to hold up unless they all did badly in every other section.

Your data is inconsistent, the 742.5 average top octile comes from the 2014 column, which has the 691 average applicant, not 654. And I didn't say anything about 742.5 being unrealistic, I was referring to the 3100 (775 average) that you were stating being unrealistic.

"I'm seeing around 650 average": A bit of an assumption to make isn't it!??!?! Also, for 2014 entry (2013 UKCAT scores), the average OUT OF EVERYONE WHO TOOK THE UKCAT was 654 (NOT JUST EDINBURGH APPLICANTS). I assume when you say you have been "seeing around 650 average" that you are looking elsewhere...not just at this edinburgh thread (which has about 5 different participants right now).....
"I'm seeing around 650 average": A bit of an assumption to make isn't it!??!?! Also, for 2014 entry (2013 UKCAT scores), the average OUT OF EVERYONE WHO TOOK THE UKCAT was 654 (NOT JUST EDINBURGH APPLICANTS). I assume when you say you have been "seeing around 650 average" that you are looking elsewhere...not just at this edinburgh thread (which has about 5 different participants right now).....

1. I said it was limited and therefore it's pretty obviously a generalised assumption
Original post by not you
and from a limited range of people from TSR and applicants I know

And yes of course I am looking elsewhere on TSR, there are stickied megathreads titled "Which Medical School Should I Apply To?", "UKCAT 2016 Entry Discussion", and "Am I Good Enough For Medicine?", which all have people mentioning the medical schools they want to apply to.

2. The average out of everyone who sat UKCAT in 2013 was 661, not 654 as you seem to insist.
Reply 19
Well this got out of hand... :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending