The Student Room Group

University of Hawaii, Manoa

Hey People,

Im interested in studying for a postgrad in Anthropology relating to SE Asia in North America, found an interesting course at the University of Hawaii in Manoa. Just wondering if anyone has experience of that university, its not an American university your hear a lot about in the UK, but it has a particularly good reputation for Asian studies. Also considering Toronto and Cornell plus Edinburgh here in the UK, how would it comapre to these three?

Cheers! :smile:
Reply 1
I know Columbia has an excellent reputation for Asian studies, how about them? And there's SOAS - which judging from the name... =P But yeah..sorry haven't heard of Hawaii..
The first thing I think about when I think of the university of Hawaii is astronomy to be honest.
Reply 3
Changeling
I know Columbia has an excellent reputation for Asian studies, how about them? And there's SOAS - which judging from the name... =P But yeah..sorry haven't heard of Hawaii..

Will probably apply here at SOAS as well but would like to do my postgrad in th US or Canada. Columbia also has a really famous anthropology department but just dont like New York for some reason!!

Something about going to uni in Hawaii though that sounds attractive, surfing after lectures and all that :biggrin: But if I can get into a uni that's considerably better uni then its hard to justif applying there, but just dont enough about it.

Cheers :smile:
A bunch of people from my school are going there, and none are highly academic. That's just the impression I've got of it.
Reply 5
megxers
A bunch of people from my school are going there, and none are highly academic. That's just the impression I've got of it.

Thanks megxers! Had a look at the US News rankings, although I think that these rankings are usually flawed and innaccuarte, Hawaii doesnt even figure in the top 200, which maybe indicates how good it is generally. Its probably not a bad uni but will be better off with sticking to my other choices (?)

Cheers! :smile:
Reply 6
Hawaii doesn't have a bad reputation, but it's not particularly well-known. It's very strong in certain fields (ethnobotany, marine biology, astronomy, etc.), so it could be a good fit if it matches your interest. The reputation of the department is generally more important than overall reputation for grad school.

Cornell has a good reputation for Asian Studies and an average rep for anth.

If you can get in, consider Michigan, Chicago, Penn, Harvard, Berkeley, and/or UCLA- the powerhouses of anthropology and Asian Studies.
It's mostly Hawaiian students who don't want to leave the state, or surfers/party kids/stoners from other states who think Hawaii seems cool. I'm sure there are good programs, but it's not a great university by any stretch of the imagination.
Reply 8
Hawaii isn't that reputed.. i think u should apply to a better university
Reply 9
Thanks everyone for your comments, Ive pretty much decided not to apply to Hawaii. Definately going for Toronto in Canada and one of the unis that wrablersrule mentioned earlier. Wish me luck!!

Cheers

Latest