The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ComputerMaths97
No but I still have been confirmed my place at Cambridge, just without the extra Maths module - probably a Comp Sci module instead :smile:

So they honoured the verbal promise. Coolio :smile:
Just to offer a different perspective to what ComputerMaths97 has been saying - I applied for Computer Science (75%) at Churchill. I got pooled and my place has been confirmed at Homerton, and I only answered about 7 questions in the CSAT and definitely got at least half completely wrong.
Guys I got 128 for Q1 and 100 for Q2. Can somebody confirm?

I'm referring to the the open day questions btw (page 14).
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 303
Original post by elefjohn

Is there any chance you could link these questions? Can't seem to find them
Original post by jpxw
Is there any chance you could link these questions? Can't seem to find them

Here: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=558415&stc=1&d=1467477842
Reply 305

Hey, you don't happen to have a copy of all of them anywhere do you? That would be really useful
Original post by jpxw
Hey, you don't happen to have a copy of all of them anywhere do you? That would be really useful

No man sorry, I found them posted on this discussion.
Reply 307
Original post by elefjohn

Can confirm Q1, definitely cannot confirm Q2.
Reply 308
Original post by jpxw

I'm pretty sure that those two questions are the only ones, as I've checked the presentation and this is the only slide involving CSAT questions. By "first 10 correct answers presented" I'm guessing that they meant first 10 people to show correct answers at the stall.
Here's the presentation in case you want it for any reason:

https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate/downloads/OpenDayPresentation2016.pdf
How about this one?

Evaluate

limn(1n+1+1n+2+1n+3++12n)\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left ( \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{n+2} + \frac{1}{n+3} + \cdots + \frac{1}{2n} \right )
Original post by Forecast
How about this one?

Evaluate

limn(1n+1+1n+2+1n+3++12n)\displaystyle \lim_{n \to \infty} \left ( \frac{1}{n+1} + \frac{1}{n+2} + \frac{1}{n+3} + \cdots + \frac{1}{2n} \right )

If you evaluate the limit of each one of these individually you get 0. So I assume that they also add up to 0, right?
Reply 311
I don't suppose anyone could suggest a list of things that we should just know for CSAT. It seems that some questions in the sample paper become easier once you recognize something that you already know
i.e.
Q1) root2 is irrational
Q2) Fibonnaci sequence
Q10) Triangle Number formula
Q20) Fermat's little theorem
Original post by esfio
I don't suppose anyone could suggest a list of things that we should just know for CSAT. It seems that some questions in the sample paper become easier once you recognize something that you already know
i.e.
Q1) root2 is irrational
Q2) Fibonnaci sequence
Q10) Triangle Number formula
Q20) Fermat's little theorem

I think general maths stuff like irrational numbers, the Fibonacci sequence, primes, triangle numbers, factorials etc. would be useful. Fermat's little theorem could be used for that question, but IIRC you don't need it -- you can just do it "freestyle" with algebra and logical deduction. Also remember that you have quite a few questions to choose from, so you don't need to do number theory stuff if you don't want to.
Reply 313
Original post by Healthy_LS
Here is my attempt at Q17.

AreaofA=16AreaofsquareAreaofA=b2612(bx)(12b)=b2614(bx)=b6x4=b4b6x=b3Area\quad of\quad A\quad =\quad \frac { 1 }{ 6 } Area\quad of\quad square\\ Area\quad of\quad A\quad =\quad \frac { { b }^{ 2 } }{ 6 } \\ \frac { 1 }{ 2 } \left( b-x \right) \left( \frac { 1 }{ 2 } b \right) =\frac { { b }^{ 2 } }{ 6 } \\ \frac { 1 }{ 4 } \left( b-x \right) =\frac { { b } }{ 6 } \\ \frac { x }{ 4 } =\frac { b }{ 4 } -\frac { b }{ 6 } \\ x\quad =\quad \frac { b }{ 3 }

So you cut b/3 away from the corner.

I agree, To add to this you could also work out the area of the quadrilateral:

A=b22×x2A = \frac{b\sqrt{2}}{2} \times \frac{x}{\sqrt{2}}
b26=xb2\frac{b^2}{6} = \frac{xb}{2}
x=b3x = \frac{b}{3}
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 314
Any advice for someone who hasn't studied further maths?
Original post by CS342
Any advice for someone who hasn't studied further maths?

Don't worry too much, I don't remember any questions from last year's CSAT that required year 12 further maths (there were a few that required year 13 and that I therefore didn't do).
Reply 316
Original post by sweeneyrod
Don't worry too much, I don't remember any questions from last year's CSAT that required year 12 further maths (there were a few that required year 13 and that I therefore didn't do).

The sample questions looked as though they are from further maths because I haven't studied the concepts which were used to solve them earlier in this thread. This is why I am extremely worried about the test.
Original post by CS342
The sample questions looked as though they are from further maths because I haven't studied the concepts which were used to solve them earlier in this thread. This is why I am extremely worried about the test.

The sample questions don't rely on A-level maths techniques, but neither do they rely on further maths techniques. You "just" need to be creative with methods you already know; the skills are more related to Olympiad type maths than anything else. And remember that you don't need to answer that many questions right to get a place.
Reply 318
Original post by sweeneyrod
The sample questions don't rely on A-level maths techniques, but neither do they rely on further maths techniques. You "just" need to be creative with methods you already know; the skills are more related to Olympiad type maths than anything else. And remember that you don't need to answer that many questions right to get a place.

Are the questions 'more kind of mathematical' like STEP or more similar to BMO questions (very abstract)? I hope you know what I mean.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NrGtic
Are the questions 'more kind of mathematical' like STEP or more similar to BMO questions (very abstract)? I hope you know what I mean.

They are mostly pretty similar to the sample questions, so I would say that they're not particularly like either, but probably close to BMO. But it is less aimed at testing mathematical skills, and more aimed at testing general reason (in a mathematical context) if that makes sense.