The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by ComputerMaths97
So how would you decide when you need to do this? I can understand, now, using it when it for a "show that" question, so you manipulate it to be in a similar form as the answer given. But when it simply wants the answer, how would you know to do this? How would I know that I can simplify it?

Btw I've never actually known, but it is always true that the integral of [a times f(x)] is the same as a times the integral of [f(x)]

Practice and intuition.

Yes, it's always true. (as long as aa is a constant)
Original post by Zacken
Practice and intuition.

Yes, it's always true. (as long as aa is a constant)

I just feel whenever I come to a new proof question, I trick every tactic I know, and the solution ends up being something I've never used before. Then I add this to my list of tactics, but this list seems to continuously grow xD

Thinking about this, I've spent the last couple hours trying to see the links between a lot of the prooving methods I've learnt. I'm slowly beginning to see some patterns. I do hope proofs aren't like geometry for me, where there's literally infinite rules you need to know xD
Reply 82
I just feel whenever I come to a new proof question, I trick every tactic I know, and the solution ends up being something I've never used before. Then I add this to my list of tactics, but this list seems to continuously grow xD

Thinking about this, I've spent the last couple hours trying to see the links between a lot of the prooving methods I've learnt. I'm slowly beginning to see some patterns. I do hope proofs aren't like geometry for me, where there's literally infinite rules you need to know xD

That's geometry for me too. Can't do it to save my life. :tongue:

That's great, seeing the links means you're gaining a true understanding. :smile:
Original post by Zacken

That's great, seeing the links means you're gaining a true understanding. :smile:

It's gotten so bad I've started to just skip geometry questions when I can xD

I've also been doing the MAT the last few days - and after about 9 months of doing STEP, I can confirm that the MAT is 10x easier than STEP, even after all this STEP prep.
Reply 84
It's gotten so bad I've started to just skip geometry questions when I can xD

I've also been doing the MAT the last few days - and after about 9 months of doing STEP, I can confirm that the MAT is 10x easier than STEP, even after all this STEP prep.

MAT still has an interesting style, and presumably you're doing well on the papers, something of which you should be very proud of! :biggrin:
Original post by Zacken
MAT still has an interesting style, and presumably you're doing well on the papers, something of which you should be very proud of! :biggrin:

Yes I think it's a great style. The first 10 questions can be done in an hour, and thats 40 marks right there. Then when looking at the usual thresholds, it's very surprising! :O Maybe I should've done the MAT now I think about it.
So terrified for this exam. Especially since I'm struggling on Q1 xD Can't get anything other than b = a(sqrt(2)) - c(sqrt(3)) and since sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) are irrational, integer multiples of them are still irrational, so the difference between integer multiples of them cannot be a positive integer. (Like you can't make npi = a(sqrt(2)), etc.). So it's a,b,c=0? But, doesn't feel right xD
I seem to be working it out massively different to everyone else for Q2?
EDIT: Screw that question about the earths surface, absolutely no clue.

Spoiler

So the number of ways to to step 1 is by doing one step (therefor 1 way), the number of ways to climb to step 2 is either by doing the number of ways in step 1 then 1 extra or 2 steps (so 2 ways). Then a pattern emerges... The number of ways of doing 3 steps is either the number of ways of doing step 1 and then 2 extra steps or the number of ways of doing step 2 then 1 extra step... So it equals number of combinations of step 1+ number of combinations of step 2. For 4 it equals number for step 2 (and then an extra 2) or number of combinations for step 3 (and then an extra step) and so on... Did that make sense? :smile:
Are you basically saying that it's a general technique when checking if an algebraic expression is divisible by a number n? Find a way to express it into only multiples of consecutive (or single) integers, so that by using the factors of n we can try to find a way to factorise that expression so that it gives n x something?

2 Maths genuines basically just calling me stupid :lol:

It is a technique that you can use that should work quite for most problems. For me personally I wouldn't use that approach as I would just consider the modular residue,
Original post by Zacken

You are studying Geometry wrong. You don't have to memorise a lot of formulas or properties. Whenever in math if you have to memorize a lot of stuff , it is probably wrong. You only have to understand and use the basics well and learn how to draw auxillary lines. Even the 5 Advanced Geo Theorem can be proved using nothing more complicated than sine law.
Yes I think it's a great style. The first 10 questions can be done in an hour, and thats 40 marks right there. Then when looking at the usual thresholds, it's very surprising! :O Maybe I should've done the MAT now I think about it.

But it is hard for someone to get all 40 marks. I personally only got 8 , well probably because I never learned Calculus and skipped the 2 calculus questions :P

I skipped 20 marks because I don't know Calculus T_T
Original post by ForeignStudent32
But it is hard for someone to get all 40 marks. I personally only got 8 , well probably because I never learned Calculus and skipped the 2 calculus questions :P

I skipped 20 marks because I don't know Calculus T_T

So you don't know calculus and you got 8/10 of the easy questions right... I think we have proven here that the MAT is too easy to be used as a top University admissions test.
So you don't know calculus and you got 8/10 of the easy questions right... I think we have proven here that the MAT is too easy to be used as a top University admissions test.

But I am also ranked 4th place in my country in the recent national team selection test. A country about 3/4 the population of UK :P I am not a good sample.

Actually the MC is a pretty good indicator of what you would get on the test. Usually, people get 10x , where x is the number they got right on the MC.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 92
You are studying Geometry wrong. You don't have to memorise a lot of formulas or properties. Whenever in math if you have to memorize a lot of stuff , it is probably wrong. You only have to understand and use the basics well and learn how to draw auxillary lines. Even the 5 Advanced Geo Theorem can be proved using nothing more complicated than sine law.

How do you know I'm studying it wrong? I don't memorise anything. You're just coming up with your usual bull-**** and assuming things.
Original post by Zacken
How do you know I'm studying it wrong? I don't memorise anything. You're just coming up with your usual bull-**** and assuming things.

I do hope proofs aren't like geometry for me, where there's literally infinite rules you need to know xD

That's just like me - can't do Geo to save me life

The implications are pretty clear there. Well if you are not studying it wrong and you still can't do Geo. Then, I guess you shouldnt be studying math LOL
I think we have proven here that the MAT is too easy to be used as a top University admissions test.

Then why didn't you take it?
Reply 95
I do hope proofs aren't like geometry for me, where there's literally infinite rules you need to know xD

The implications are pretty clear there. Well if you are not studying it wrong and you still can't do Geo. Then, I guess you shouldnt be studying math LOL

Who says I'm studying Geometry at all...?

Why on earth should he not be studying maths? Because he finds a topic within it difficult? Grow up.

Original post by marioman
Then why didn't you take it?

Because I decided to apply for Cambridge, and therefore didn't even think about the MAT. Just STEP. Maybe it's just easier for me by chance, but it certainly is :smile:
Why on earth should he not be studying maths? Because he finds a topic within it difficult? Grow up.

Because I decided to apply for Cambridge, and therefore didn't even think about the MAT. Just STEP. Maybe it's just easier for me by chance, but it certainly is :smile:

I think ForeignStudent meant it as a joke. There is no need to get mad.

Did you not apply to Imperial? I heard CS is pretty good there.
Original post by Applicant201613
I think ForeignStudent meant it as a joke. There is no need to get mad.

Did you not apply to Imperial? I heard CS is pretty good there.

If you read his previous posts in this thread, you'd be inclined to think otherwise.

Yes I applied to Imperial. And yes, they may ask for STEP. Their website says MAT or STEP, so therefore, based on the idea I will be preparing for STEP regardless, it seems pretty smart to go with the STEP option. Never needed to even consider the MAT - as I assumed it was just as difficult as STEP just different. And there's PLENTY enough STEP questions to keep me occupied. So I would've never needed to worry about MAT. Now I have a CSAT test, and it is implied that MAT practice may help, therefore I look into it. Find it easier than STEP. Conclusion drawn xD
If you read his previous posts in this thread, you'd be inclined to think otherwise.

Yes I applied to Imperial. And yes, they may ask for STEP. Their website says MAT or STEP, so therefore, based on the idea I will be preparing for STEP regardless, it seems pretty smart to go with the STEP option. Never needed to even consider the MAT - as I assumed it was just as difficult as STEP just different. And there's PLENTY enough STEP questions to keep me occupied. So I would've never needed to worry about MAT. Now I have a CSAT test, and it is implied that MAT practice may help, therefore I look into it. Find it easier than STEP. Conclusion drawn xD

Lol, @Zacken was kicked out of the Oxford forum because of some stupid comment he made. I would stand by my opinion. Yeah, I was going to say CSAT is similar to MAT, well at least better than STEP in preparing for CSAT. I was prepping for CSAT for a while but then I chose law so I applied to Oxf since it has like half of the head of the government of UK graduate from there.
(edited 8 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending