The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Are you hitting on my rebecca? :p:
Reply 61
^ lol

Wangers
Hope so, thank you :biggrin:.

becca - I'm not that great, yet hun. - why arn't your teachers making you enjoy?

hey wangers, hows your application going!?
Wangers
becca - I'm not that great, yet hun. - why arn't your teachers making you enjoy?

*tells philosoraptor to put his claws away* :p:

My teachers are remarkably not that much into spoon-feeding. Mainly because they're either rubbish (so you switch off and have to teach yourself the course) or they're my chemistry teacher who always does the practical before the theory and spends the start of each class getting you to work out yourself what he'll spend the rest of the class teaching you.

But A levels in general make me :mad: I'm sick of the endless memorising of model answers etc. Drives me mad that you can write the same essay for both of the essay questions in a history of music exam and yet still get full marks!
Reply 63
Thanks for asking Subbacultcha - applied to Ox, imp, Notts and Shef - they diddnt want me :frown:. Aww well bring on the gap year!

Becca - I know just how you feel - the first long essay I wrote for my bio teacher - he went through the mark scheme and told me he "couldnt give me any marks" - because I'd used Gibbs free energy instead of Ea as a concept - and so the markscheme diddnt allow for that. I got told to "tone it down to a sutible level" - I dont hand in work for him anymore.

My other bio teacher's a cam natsci grad - the joy of virtually no limits :biggrin:. She appreciates Natural Knowledge :biggrin: - although we still have to do A Levels:frown: - even though the teachers complain too. She tries to make it intresting but....Ecology really does not suit me. we spent a double (1.5 hours) looking at a site about what you can discern from bird droppings - I was asleep.

psychology = regurgitate 16 essays - 3 months to learn those...

physics - we have enough past papers to bury ourselves.

Chemistry is the best though - our teacher sets work way harder then the papers - though he still wont do Arrhenius with us :frown:

Ah well - not long left - gonna miss friends, but this is starting to do my head in.

Current plan - predicted 4As - get them, pass AEAs and move on, touch wood get in next time.

Whilst extoling the joys of AEAs, are you doing any, becca? You should make your brain work after that atrociously low offer - congrats btw:biggrin:

philosoraptor - you wouldn't, not while I'm down:frown:!
I'm not doing any as of yet! I got offered biology, but the thought of looking at yet another paper involving plants was too much. And our chemistry teacher hasn't said anything, even to the school's chemistry buff so I doubt I'll be offered anything there!

I have an exam that week anyways. A lovely synoptic English Lit one with generously open-ended questions and the opportunity to write about whatever I want.
Hehe ok Wangers, I have the feeling you weren't hitting on her :wink:. You're safe for now :biggrin:.
Oh yes, the AEAs, should I actually be doing work so that'll I'll have a chance in hell of passing? :p:
Reply 66
Wangers
Thanks for asking Subbacultcha - applied to Ox, imp, Notts and Shef - they diddnt want me :frown:. Aww well bring on the gap year!

aw bad luck! - to be honest, if you're capable of 4A's and AEA's, i should think it probably was just bad luck - heres to you getting 4 offers next year!! :biggrin:

i know what you mean with the biology - i constantly get told off for not "writing the obvious answer for a mark" , ie. not basically just rephrasing the question to pick up a mark!! :rolleyes:
Reply 67
The best is when you have to point out plant roots are alive - and so need minerals - you wonder why people find it unbelievably dull. I always miss those marks.

Becca - go Biology - at least look at the papers they're good. And chemistry's pretty interesting:biggrin: - you need to keep that brain ticking.

I do sometimes envy the artists - I have to regurgitate facts whilst they can do prufrock:frown:
The artists are just as bad! In English Lit, it's a case of there being five assessment objectives and if you don't hit them all, no matter how good your essay is, you won't get good marks.

Too late for AEAs I'm afraid. I think our statements of entry are being handed out tomorrow and I couldn't be bothered with all the faffing about, changing my entry. Plus I do have to know about all the facets of 20th century american literature for the Monday of that week.
Reply 69
No Its not - I've had about 5 statements of entry - and I'm still to confirm my entry for AEA Bio. - Its not too late at all - just email your exams officer and that'll be fine. You can even enter on the day if you're so inclined.

Its easy - add exam. Or are you a lazy medic::p: :eek: :wink:
Well to be frank...I'm not in the mood for anything to do with biology now! And I really don't want to have to sit all by myself in an exam room at the end of June - no-one sits AEAs in my school.
Reply 71
And you're being a medic :p:. although saying that - theres 6 of us doing AEA Chem - we few, we merry few!. Chances are I'll fail it.
You guys all sound so smart :smile: Gibbs free energy, Arrhenius, I've never heard of any of this stuff!
Reply 73
Its a illusion - I'm actually heading for failiure :frown:. seriously though - ideas are greater then facts. And the more you think - the more intresting it is.
Reply 74
theredsox
You guys all sound so smart :smile: Gibbs free energy, Arrhenius, I've never heard of any of this stuff!

arrhenius forms much of my chemistry coursework, which i am battling with at the moment. argh! :mad:
Reply 75
Just remember that the "e"th bit is the proportion of molecules with energy exceeding Ea. Dig out your Maxwell Boltzmann distribution graph from As - and the "eth" is the area to the right of Ea.

You could concievably draw a graph and use intergration to calculate the number of molecules, and by stiochiometry and order of reaction, eventually derive an expression for Ea. or alternatively, faff around with rearranging.

Sorry - I dont know what you're doing - so that probably wont make any sense at all :biggrin:
Reply 76
vb07
lol this thread is so uninclusive

time to set this thread back on its rightful course: I got an A in my history resit. . . . . .no one cares? right back to the previous convo. btw, any 07 manchester future medics here?
Reply 77
Wangers
Just remember that the "e"th bit is the proportion of molecules with energy exceeding Ea. Dig out your Maxwell Boltzmann distribution graph from As - and the "eth" is the area to the right of Ea.

You could concievably draw a graph and use intergration to calculate the number of molecules, and by stiochiometry and order of reaction, eventually derive an expression for Ea. or alternatively, faff around with rearranging.

Sorry - I dont know what you're doing - so that probably wont make any sense at all :biggrin:

To integrate a Maxwell -Boltzman distribution you'd need to have an expression to describe it in the first place. Even if you could work out what this expression is, it'll be horrendously complicated, which will making integration very difficult, if not impossible. I'd just do it on a big sheet of graph paper and count the squares underneath the line:smile:
Urgh intergrating Maxwell-Boltzman! That sounds like nothing we'd ever do. And terribly hard.
But I did look up Arrhenius today :biggrin:
aaaahhh this thread is scaring the hell out of me. I have no idea what any of you are on about. I am going to fail. *googles Arrhenius*

wow surfer supastar, ur teach wrote that book? I love it, lets us practically give up storylines.

my jan results were very mixed...one went really well....one reeeeallly bad. But oh well, retake time. Well done people ur results are great.

:tsr2:

Latest