The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

Isolation and lack of social life

I am currently doing K213 and have been with the OU for three years. But I am really missing the normal university experience of having friends, parties, working with people and independence. Obviously I want to complete my degree, but I am wondering on how everyone copes. It's really getting me down and i am feeling rather jealous as my cousins are at brick unis and I am not. I can't bare to look at my facebook wall as it makes me wanna cry.

I have limited friend contact in real life and struggle to make friends as result i am rather isolated, depressed and everything is making me miserable
Number 1 - stop looking at Facebook. I recently did it and have to say I feel quite liberated. It serves only to either show off about how great your life is, or to see how other people are showing off about how great their lives are, where as in reality everyone is having a miserable time.

Secondly, where do you live? Is there a local university you could hang out at? I have joined and participated in lots of societies and sports clubs at universities that I didn't belong to. Generally speaking everyone is friendly and welcome so go for it!

Good luck!
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Does your social life have to be centred on university? I agree OU can be difficult in that, unlike if you attend a brick uni or a workplace, you don't get the opportunity to meet people. But can you not get involved in any activities as a member of the public as opposed to a member of a student union?

Original post by ByEeek
Number 1 - stop looking at Facebook.

I'm not on Facebook, never have been, and tbh would prefer to never be on it. But it does seem that so many people use it to organise social activities now, and if you're not on it you get kind of sidelined. I don't see what's so difficult about verbally informing someone that something's happening if you see them regularly, or, failing that, send them an email or a text. It sometimes feels like even when you turn up at the start of an event you've really turned up half way through it, since it's already been going on for hours via Failbook, sorry, Facebook.
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice

I'm not on Facebook, never have been, and tbh would prefer to never be on it. But it does seem that so many people use it to organise social activities now, and if you're not on it you get kind of sidelined. I don't see what's so difficult about verbally informing someone that something's happening if you see them regularly, or, failing that, send them an email or a text. It sometimes feels like even when you turn up at the start of an event you've really turned up half way through it, since it's already been going on for hours via Failbook, sorry, Facebook.

Oh - don't get me wrong. I have been a devout Facebooker for a number of years and I am sure it appeals to many in a positive way. But I have noted recently that the kind of posts on my page posted by my friends are either some form of political point to be made, an article that they read or some form of veiled one-up-manship look-how-great-my-life is type post. Finally I started getting photos of dead children on my news feed and decided enough was enough.
Original post by ByEeek
Oh - don't get me wrong. I have been a devout Facebooker for a number of years and I am sure it appeals to many in a positive way. But I have noted recently that the kind of posts on my page posted by my friends are either some form of political point to be made, an article that they read or some form of veiled one-up-manship look-how-great-my-life is type post. Finally I started getting photos of dead children on my news feed and decided enough was enough.

So you've quit Facebook?
I'm gonna try that I am going to come off Facebook for a couple of days and see if that helps. I'm also gonna look into more social clubs in my local town. That's if they last longer than a week, due to the cuts/lack of interest from people/crime the groups in my town only last a week or two. That's one of the realities in my area

I also only see one friend every week and I am already sick of him, getting bored with the same boring routine of watching Jeremy Kyle, cartoons and comedy shows (that's all he watches) as its he's agoraphobic and putting up with his convenient panic attacks that happen every Saturday at 9am and 12oclock. They are convenient as I end up paying for his shopping.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jimmy_looks_2ice
So you've quit Facebook?

Yep - and you know what? My social life is just as active and I don't miss it. Most of the stuff on my news feed is posted by people I don't see regularly anyway. I guess I now need to up my game and get back in contact with them.
Original post by ByEeek
Yep - and you know what? My social life is just as active and I don't miss it.

That's good. I've just started my first year at uni, and I'm hoping to develop some friendships and social connections without having to join Facebook. I just hope that the clubs & societies don't rely solely on it to publicise events.
SOCNUL - Society of College, National and University Libraries

If you join SOCNUL as an OU student you can gain access to library facilities of any of the universities on their list. meaning that you can go to the Uni nearest you and borrow books and make use of the facilities.This might be something you want to look into. I will definitely be doing this as it is a way of meeting other students in your area.

I would also check facebook to see if there is a local OU student group. I have set one up for my area as the old one hadn't had a post since early 2014!!

Open University East Anglia (OUEA) - A couple of people have joined it and i'm hoping it grows so that people in our region find each other for support, study and maybe even social meet ups!

I hope this goes some way to helping you.
(edited 8 years ago)
Thanks so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Your welcome.

I also realise sharing the OUEA facebook group may have been counter productive if you are trying to quit.

My apologies :colondollar:
Reply 11
Could you not use the credits you've earned from studying OU modules and 'transfer' to a brick uni? I think it's called ECTS.

So for example 120 credits is equivalent to one year of undergraduate study so you might be able to use that to transfer straight onto the second year at another university
Not this year I can't and the fees seem quite a lot but I am thinking if I stay till 2017 and then go as graduate I should be okay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by iloveteddy14
I am currently doing K213 and have been with the OU for three years. But I am really missing the normal university experience of having friends, parties, working with people and independence. Obviously I want to complete my degree, but I am wondering on how everyone copes. It's really getting me down and i am feeling rather jealous as my cousins are at brick unis and I am not. I can't bare to look at my facebook wall as it makes me wanna cry.

I have limited friend contact in real life and struggle to make friends as result i am rather isolated, depressed and everything is making me miserable

Hey, I feel the same sometimes. It's nice to know that I'm not alone. I've completed my first year and alongside my studies, I've been doing a bit of work experience, volunteering, zero hour contract etc. And I've met a lot of new people along the way, just get out of your comfort zone, try new things. And delete FB, I did a long time ago and you'll feel so much better trust me

Original post by ByEeek
Number 1 - stop looking at Facebook. I recently did it and have to say I feel quite liberated. It serves only to either show off about how great your life is, or to see how other people are showing off about how great their lives are, where as in reality everyone is having a miserable time.

Secondly, where do you live? Is there a local university you could hang out at? I have joined and participated in lots of societies and sports clubs at universities that I didn't belong to. Generally speaking everyone is friendly and welcome so go for it!

Good luck!

This is a really great idea! How did you go about doing this?
Original post by xforeverinfinite
This is a really great idea! How did you go about doing this?

For Facebook, you just uninstall the app. I still use Messenger occasionally so don't want to cancel my account.

As for clubs and societies - most have a website. Send some emails or just turn up. I have found that there is a general "the more the merrier" attitude to student clubs.
Original post by ByEeek
For Facebook, you just uninstall the app. I still use Messenger occasionally so don't want to cancel my account.

As for clubs and societies - most have a website. Send some emails or just turn up. I have found that there is a general "the more the merrier" attitude to student clubs.

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest