The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Oxford or Durham for Physics?

I'm applying to both Oxford and Durham for physics, but I'm not sure which one I would pick if I get accepted by both. I have a few questions and it would be very helpful if you could answer any of them.

Which uni has the better course? I've heard great things about Durham's physics department and that they have the best astronomy facilities in Europe. I'm quite interested in astronomy so that is a big positive for me. However, Oxford has better recognition and I was wondering whether it's course is better as well.

Does Durham have a better social aspect? I've heard about people who've been overloaded with work and left Oxford/Cambridge due to stress. Is there really more work to do in Oxford and do you have less free time?

What's the price difference between the two? How expensive is Oxford's accommodation and daily costs?
Original post by Lamassu
I'm applying to both Oxford and Durham for physics, but I'm not sure which one I would pick if I get accepted by both. I have a few questions and it would be very helpful if you could answer any of them.

Which uni has the better course? I've heard great things about Durham's physics department and that they have the best astronomy facilities in Europe. I'm quite interested in astronomy so that is a big positive for me. However, Oxford has better recognition and I was wondering whether it's course is better as well.

Does Durham have a better social aspect? I've heard about people who've been overloaded with work and left Oxford/Cambridge due to stress. Is there really more work to do in Oxford and do you have less free time?

What's the price difference between the two? How expensive is Oxford's accommodation and daily costs?

I can only talk for Durham, i'm going into year 4 of physics with astronomy.

Durham halls are fairly expensive, around £6600 catered. Living out can be cheap, between £60-120 per week.

Durham is very good for astronomy yes, many of the lecturers will be world leading. I'd guess you do have more social time at Durham but its still quite an intensive course and challenges even the brightest students.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by TunaTunnel
I can only talk for Durham, i'm going into year 4 of physics with astronomy.

Durham halls are fairly expensive, around £6600 catered. Living out can be cheap, between £60-120 per week.

Durham is very good for astronomy yes, many of the lecturers will be world leading. I'd guess you do have more social time at Durham but its still quite an intensive course and challenges even the brightest students.

Thanks for the response. I've heard that you can choose whether you do Physics or Physics and Astronomy in your second year. Is there any difference between applying for each course or do they both have the same entry difficulty? I'm thinking that I want to do P&A but I haven't made my mind up yet.
Original post by Lamassu
Thanks for the response. I've heard that you can choose whether you do Physics or Physics and Astronomy in your second year. Is there any difference between applying for each course or do they both have the same entry difficulty? I'm thinking that I want to do P&A but I haven't made my mind up yet.

Same requirements, you can change between any physics program after second year as the modules in second year are compulsory.

Many of the people do physics with astronomy, its a very popular course. I entered on theoretical physics and changed so I cant talk about entry.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending