The Student Room Group
Reply 1
high suicide rate
Nineth constitution
Religion (interesting split there

Posted from TSR Mobile
-You could discuss high suicide rate (as c0balt said), especially in children because of the school system.
-Japanese period of isolation (sakoku) and then opening up to the world
-Japanese modernisation, how/why the country has become 'westernised', especially since the 1970s, and the effect it's had on Japanese society
-Japanese relations with Korea/China. Why are they bad? (Due to Japan not fully owning up and accepting its history as Germany has (the Japanese education system often leaves out key bits of information surrounding its involvement in WW2) also Japanese/Chinese disputes over the Senkaku islands)
-What religion are the Japanese? Role that religions (shinto/buddhism) play in society (often have shinto weddings/buddhist funerals etc.)
-'Why Japan changes prime minister so often' could be a good question/topic to answer (in the period of the UK's last 8 PMs, Japan has had 20). I wrote an essay on this and found it really interesting.
Hiya, I'm Japanese and have lived there for quite a long time(9 years) so I'll like to help out if u need any help. I love most points TheTechN1304 recommended. Btw I'm in sixth from as well, really proud and grateful that u chose my country as your EPQ topic:biggrin:
Don't know if I'm too late as this post is two weeks old but I'll also recommend
-Comparison of samurais, such as Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu etc...they all have different personalities and had very different tactics to take over Japan based on their traits. There are some very famous proverbs which are based on them. I personally find them fascinating and my friends who are into Japan love researching about them as well.
-Japanese art such as Katsushika Hokusai and looking at how it differed from western art and their standards of beauty .
-Similar to above but above the architecture in the early periods such as the Kinkakuji, in contrasts to the buildings in Rome or Greece at the time.
-Similar to TheTechN1304, comparing the society Edo period to a more modern westernised Meiji period would be very interesting. (These are my favourite period along with AzuchiMomoyama period (all the fighting between samurais:colondollar:) and Muromachi period (which I believe made the core foundation of our Japanese culture))
-Comparing the education system with countries around the world and explaining their rankings, pro and cons seems to be a good topic.

The Japan, Korea and China issue is a very sensitive issue and since I'm obviously biased I wouldn't recommend it. I hate how everyone says that Japan hasn't taken full responsibility, we did. I'm not saying that I'm proud of what my country had done in the past and that there is no way to justify its actions. It might be true that Japan might be leaving key bits out/altering their history, but I have to ask, which country doesn't? I have flipped through American textbooks before (I'm a history maniac) and was shocked to see how they subtly justified the nuclear attack. There are several rumours that China's Nanking massacre is being heavily over exaggerated as their sources don't add up; that such facts aren't being reported to the states or anywhere as all the foreign reporters or correspondents in China are being bribed. However this is my opinion and I don't intend to offend anyone nor start a political argument on TSR. All I want to imply is that the topic can be based on some seriously biased resources and would lead to an unfair input of information as well as a conclusion for your EPQ.

The religion topic is one I've never deeply considered, would like to research about this myself:smile:
Original post by TheTechN1304
-You could discuss high suicide rate (as c0balt said), especially in children because of the school system.
-Japanese period of isolation (sakoku) and then opening up to the world
-Japanese modernisation, how/why the country has become 'westernised', especially since the 1970s, and the effect it's had on Japanese society
-Japanese relations with Korea/China. Why are they bad? (Due to Japan not fully owning up and accepting its history as Germany has (the Japanese education system often leaves out key bits of information surrounding its involvement in WW2) also Japanese/Chinese disputes over the Senkaku islands)
-What religion are the Japanese? Role that religions (shinto/buddhism) play in society (often have shinto weddings/buddhist funerals etc.)
-'Why Japan changes prime minister so often' could be a good question/topic to answer (in the period of the UK's last 8 PMs, Japan has had 20). I wrote an essay on this and found it really interesting.

I'm interested in your theory about the essay on why Japan's prime minister changes so often! It is actually quite embarrassing for a Japanese to see a different representative in photos for every official event lol If you don't mind, will you share some details?
hello, im currently doing my EPQ aswell. I want to do it on Japan and how its culture and identity has changed over time. I will include topics like the 2020 Olympics, and how it is adapting to foreigners.
I am half japanese so have good knowlege of the topic.
Please let me know if there are any more points about japans change in culture and identity that I can inclde in my EPQ, as this will be helpful for me when I apply to Uni.

THANKS
Reply 6
I am thinking of doing an epq, highly likely to be about either the japanese language or certain aspects of it's culture and the information that yous have given will be very useful thank you.
Decreasing birth rate?
Motorsport culture?
Original post by needmoresleep
Hiya, I'm Japanese and have lived there for quite a long time(9 years) so I'll like to help out if u need any help. I love most points TheTechN1304 recommended. Btw I'm in sixth from as well, really proud and grateful that u chose my country as your EPQ topic:biggrin:
Don't know if I'm too late as this post is two weeks old but I'll also recommend
-Comparison of samurais, such as Oda Nobunaga and Tokugawa Ieyasu etc...they all have different personalities and had very different tactics to take over Japan based on their traits. There are some very famous proverbs which are based on them. I personally find them fascinating and my friends who are into Japan love researching about them as well.
-Japanese art such as Katsushika Hokusai and looking at how it differed from western art and their standards of beauty .
-Similar to above but above the architecture in the early periods such as the Kinkakuji, in contrasts to the buildings in Rome or Greece at the time.
-Similar to TheTechN1304, comparing the society Edo period to a more modern westernised Meiji period would be very interesting. (These are my favourite period along with AzuchiMomoyama period (all the fighting between samurais:colondollar:) and Muromachi period (which I believe made the core foundation of our Japanese culture))
-Comparing the education system with countries around the world and explaining their rankings, pro and cons seems to be a good topic.

The Japan, Korea and China issue is a very sensitive issue and since I'm obviously biased I wouldn't recommend it. I hate how everyone says that Japan hasn't taken full responsibility, we did. I'm not saying that I'm proud of what my country had done in the past and that there is no way to justify its actions. It might be true that Japan might be leaving key bits out/altering their history, but I have to ask, which country doesn't? I have flipped through American textbooks before (I'm a history maniac) and was shocked to see how they subtly justified the nuclear attack. There are several rumours that China's Nanking massacre is being heavily over exaggerated as their sources don't add up; that such facts aren't being reported to the states or anywhere as all the foreign reporters or correspondents in China are being bribed. However this is my opinion and I don't intend to offend anyone nor start a political argument on TSR. All I want to imply is that the topic can be based on some seriously biased resources and would lead to an unfair input of information as well as a conclusion for your EPQ.

The religion topic is one I've never deeply considered, would like to research about this myself:smile:

HI! I hope you happen to see this, but I wanted tgo do an EPQ on studio ghibli, is there any questions or statement you would recommend? thanks!
Original post by phoebeisgreat
What type of questions could I discuss for Japanese culture ?? I don't really want to discuss anime/manga...

Talk about japanese work culture and the effect on japanese society as a whole e.g declining birth rates, lack of dating, suicide etc
Hi NeedmoreSleep,I also agree with you there with the point of how Japanese not owning up to the past because I believe they haveI am also Half Japanese, and Half British and honestly I also kind of get annoyed when people like say to me like Japan is really bad because they colonized many countries, I know they had a past but like I believe they've apologized as well.

Latest