The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

MA directing (for non UK students)

Hello everyone!
I am starting to apply on UCAS for the MA directing course (2016) but I have few questions about the entry requirements;
as i am french, i did a general baccalaureate (which is different from an international baccalaureate), and the course is asking for at least two subjects at GCE Advanced Level, what is the equivalence then? does the general baccalaureate matches?

if you are currently studying this course, how was the interviews? what are they looking for in a student? what was your feeling about it?

i'm really super interested on this special course and want to know more about it!

thank you in advance! :smile:
Original post by KerryB12
Hello everyone!
I am starting to apply on UCAS for the MA directing course (2016) but I have few questions about the entry requirements;
as i am french, i did a general baccalaureate (which is different from an international baccalaureate), and the course is asking for at least two subjects at GCE Advanced Level, what is the equivalence then? does the general baccalaureate matches?

if you are currently studying this course, how was the interviews? what are they looking for in a student? what was your feeling about it?

i'm really super interested on this special course and want to know more about it!

Hi KerryB12,

If you are referring to the French Baccalauréat, 12/20 is equivalent to a BBC at GCE level. Does this make sense or have I misunderstood your qualification?

Regardless, although there are education-related entry requirements, you will mainly be assessed on your portfolio, application and interview. This is common to all UAL courses with a practical element.

MA Directing only asks for one GCE pass, but even this isn't 100% essential as if you have equivalent experience your application will still be considered.

Another route is our Foundation for performance, which you can read about here: http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/foundation/foundation-studies-in-performance---drama-centre-london/.

I hope this makes sense, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Alex
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hi KerryB12,

If you are referring to the French Baccalauréat, 12/20 is equivalent to a BBC at GCE level. Does this make sense or have I misunderstood your qualification?

Regardless, although there are education-related entry requirements, you will mainly be assessed on your portfolio, application and interview. This is common to all UAL courses with a practical element.

MA Directing only asks for one GCE pass, but even this isn't 100% essential as if you have equivalent experience your application will still be considered.

Another route is our Foundation for performance, which you can read about here: http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/foundation/foundation-studies-in-performance---drama-centre-london/.

I hope this makes sense, but please let me know if you have any further questions.

Alex

Thanks a lot for your answer, actually, my french baccalauréat was a bit special because I had more lessons (adding cinema and theatre) does it matches in what you call " experience"? but if a literature and arts baccalauréat suit to the course it is perfect!
Thanks a lot for your answer, actually, my french baccalauréat was a bit special because I had more lessons (adding cinema and theatre) does it matches in what you call " experience"? but if a literature and arts baccalauréat suit to the course it is perfect!

Hi KerryB12,

It depends what extra experience you gained as a result of these extra lessons. Was there a practical element to either? As if you have experience directing at any level this will be beneficial. Regardless, as long as they have given you a stronger wealth of knowledge in the area, and you can communicate this during your application and interview then naturally this will help your case.

Many students who apply to our MA Directing students have already completed CSM's "Foundation Studies in Performance" course. You can find out more here:

http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/foundation/foundation-studies-in-performance---drama-centre-london/

This one year course will allow you to build up the expertise necessary to make a successful application to MA Directing, if you don't currently have the required experience (entry is very competitive).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Alex
Reply 4
Original post by University of the Arts London
Hi KerryB12,

It depends what extra experience you gained as a result of these extra lessons. Was there a practical element to either? As if you have experience directing at any level this will be beneficial. Regardless, as long as they have given you a stronger wealth of knowledge in the area, and you can communicate this during your application and interview then naturally this will help your case.

Many students who apply to our MA Directing students have already completed CSM's "Foundation Studies in Performance" course. You can find out more here:

http://www.arts.ac.uk/csm/courses/foundation/foundation-studies-in-performance---drama-centre-london/

This one year course will allow you to build up the expertise necessary to make a successful application to MA Directing, if you don't currently have the required experience (entry is very competitive).

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Alex

Alright, perfect; i would also as you if there is a representative of the students in Directing or simply UAL that i can speak to? it would be great to have the feelings of an actual student.
thank you very much,
Kerry
Alright, perfect; i would also as you if there is a representative of the students in Directing or simply UAL that i can speak to? it would be great to have the feelings of an actual student.
thank you very much,
Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Sorry for the late response - I've been away from the office.

If you'd like to speak to a student or lecturer, I would recommend attending the course-specific open day for MA Directing that CSM organise. There are two of these coming up; one on December 3rd and one on December 11th. You can find out more and register your interest here:

http://events.arts.ac.uk/eventpage?keyword=directing&pg=1&types=Open+Day

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have any questions.

Alex
Reply 6
Hello everyone!

Hello! I would like to ask you how did your application go? I am in a very similar position right now.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending