The Student Room Group

Final Fantasy

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Zerforax
FF6 was a pretty short and simple storyline. I played it not that long ago and while I enjoyed it it never really felt epic?

The characters were great, the story was interesting, the music was beautiful and it had more memorable scenes than any other FF game I can think of. The opera house, Sabin holding up a mansion by himself, Celeste's attempted suicide, the whole scene with her fishing for Cid, any time Kefka laughed, finding Gogo inside the Zone Eater, sneaking around with a disguised Locke, the opening to the game, the scene where Tera's esper side awakens and she flies around the whole planet etc. These are all off of the top of my head from a game I haven't played in at least 5 years. Hell, I can even remember Kefka complaining about getting sand in his boots.
Reply 21
Original post by starlight82
I loved FF7, FF8 and FF10, they're my favourites. I liked Crisis Core too. Didn't like FF13, FF4, FF12 or FF10-2 as much.

What about X-2?
Edit: just saw you mentioned 10-2.
Original post by Swindle
What about X-2?
Edit: just saw you mentioned 10-2.

It wasn't as good as X, I had high hopes for it and was let down. As @Reue said, it was a little childish. Reading this thread makes me want to play all the old games again, I'm feeling nostalgic :colondollar:

I've still got the ps2 games but no console, thinking of buying a used ps2 from ebay...
Reply 23
It wasn't as good as X, I had high hopes for it and was let down. As @Reue said, it was a little childish. Reading this thread makes me want to play all the old games again, I'm feeling nostalgic :colondollar:

I've still got the ps2 games but no console, thinking of buying a used ps2 from ebay...

Yeah, I sat thru X-2 till the end despite its feminine charlie's angels overtones. It has the best battle system and that was the only thing I liked about it.
I've still got all the mainline FFs from the PS1 and PS2 era but My PS3 has tech issues with some of the PS2 games.
Similar to Starlight, my favourites have always been FFVII, FFVIII and FFX. Although unlike most I actually like FFXIII - probably has my second favourite soundtrack in the series. FFXII was the one which disappointed me the most.

This thread also reminded me that I really need to get the FFX HD edition.

Sidenote: Nobuo Uematsu did a Final Fantasy tribute concert in London just this past september...and I bloody missed it!
Original post by Swindle
Yeah, I sat thru X-2 till the end despite its feminine charlie's angels overtones. It has the best battle system and that was the only thing I liked about it.
I've still got all the mainline FFs from the PS1 and PS2 era but My PS3 has tech issues with some of the PS2 games.

I went through all of the different endings too :rofl:

I want to buy a PS4 to play the FF7 remake and hopefully, Kingdom Hearts 3 if that ever comes out lol. Think I'll stick to my plan of getting an old console to play the earlier games while I wait. I haven't played FF9 and people here are saying that's good, I want to play it to find out.
Original post by Zantetsuken
Similar to Starlight, my favourites have always been FFVII, FFVIII and FFX. Although unlike most I actually like FFXIII - probably has my second favourite soundtrack in the series. FFXII was the one which disappointed me the most.

This thread also reminded me that I really need to get the FFX HD edition.

Sidenote: Nobuo Uematsu did a Final Fantasy tribute concert in London just this past september...and I bloody missed it!

Nobuo Uematsu is a genius :adore: I'm always in awe when listening to the music, it has so much depth and feeling. I had no idea he did a London concert :zomg:

Also, agreed about FF12 lol.
(edited 8 years ago)
Nobuo Uematsu is a genius :adore: I'm always in awe when listening to the music, it has so much depth and feeling. I had no idea he did a London concert :zomg:

Also, agreed about FF12 lol.

Yep fully agreed, the games have some of the best musical compositions I've ever heard. You know it's special when it's just as atmospheric and inspiring as it was when you were a kid.

Yeah it sucks, and popular sites promoting it months ago doesn't help :frown:. How in my face could it have got!

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/03/19/final-symphony-tour-returns-with-new-final-fantasy-concert
Reply 28
I went through all of the different endings too :rofl:

I want to buy a PS4 to play the FF7 remake and hopefully, Kingdom Hearts 3 if that ever comes out lol. Think I'll stick to my plan of getting an old console to play the earlier games while I wait. I haven't played FF9 and people here are saying that's good, I want to play it to find out.

I only did a single run on X2 and called it a day.
Put about 4hrs into FF9 before dropping it. I was put off by the old fashioned environments and deformed characters.
I think it'll be interesting to see how the remake will turn out. I think part of the original's charm was the lo-fi blocky graphics defined by the ps1's tech limits. It kind of complemented the fun/humorous sides of the game. I think all of that will be lost in the shift to realistic visuals and voiceovers.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Swindle
I only did a single run on X2 and called it a day.
Put about 4hrs into FF9 before dropping it. I was put off by the old fashioned environments and deformed characters.
I think it'll be interesting to see how the remake will turn out. I think part of the original's charm was the lo-fi blocky graphics defined by the ps1's tech limits. It kind of complemented the fun/humorous sides of the game. I think all of that will be lost in the shift to realistic visuals and voiceovers.

I know what you mean, I'm still excited to see how it turns out. I hope it's not disappointing but it won't measure up to the original, that's for sure lol. Have you seen Advent Children?
Reply 30
I know what you mean, I'm still excited to see how it turns out. I hope it's not disappointing but it won't measure up to the original, that's for sure lol. Have you seen Advent Children?

Yeah, the comparisons will be inevitable. Yeah I've seen Advent Children, saw it before it officially came out here lol. In hindsight I thought it was terrible and further highlights how poorly FF's manga inspired character designs translate into "real" people. Cloud looks like a dodgy J-pop band member.
Still like FF7 best, can't wait to see what they do with the HD remake albeit probably they'll screw it up.

FF13 wise, I'd say I preferred 13-2 over 13, albeit it's still mostly an illusion of choice when it comes to where you'll go first, though the alternate endings you can get are neat. Sweet boss at the end too tbf, way better than 13...
Reply 32
My favourites are FF6 (amazing number of quests and characters [even a yeti!]), FF9 (best story, cute graphics and best skills/equipment system) and FF4 (three different world maps!).

I didn't like FF8 because the equipment system was non existent, although the main character was interesting. FF10 was terrible (linear, no world map), even though the skills system was very good. I haven't played to the others FFX-15.

I rapidly played FF5, but I didn't like the skills system since characters have interchangeable skills, I preferred when they have personal specialities.
My emulator couldn't run FF3. I don't remember having played FF1-2.

Imo, the PsOne is the golden era. Everybody prefers one of the three (7-8-9). Mine being FF9 (I know the story and every secret by heart). :tongue:
Its only problem is maybe that it is a bit too easy, only the last chocobo boss is challenging. FF7's bosses are more difficult to defeat, especially the emerald weapon.

FF9

Spoiler

FF7:

Spoiler

FF6:

Spoiler

FF4:

Spoiler

Reply 33
Original post by Zerforax
FF6 was a pretty short and simple storyline. I played it not that long ago and while I enjoyed it it never really felt epic?

The main storyline is quite short. You can rapidly climb the tower and defeat Kefka, but the real interest is the ****load amount of sidequests. Just getting Bahamut takes a couple of hours.

I haven't played FF9 and people here are saying that's good, I want to play it to find out.

It''s the best one. :wink:

Just the main theme is :eek:

Original post by Josb
My favourites are FF6 (amazing number of quests and characters [even a yeti!]), FF9 (best story, cute graphics and best skills/equipment system) and FF4 (three different world maps!).

I didn't like FF8 because the equipment system was non existent, although the main character was interesting. FF10 was terrible (linear, no world map), even though the skills system was very good. I haven't played to the others FFX-15.

I rapidly played FF5, but I didn't like the skills system since characters have interchangeable skills, I preferred when they have personal specialities.
My emulator couldn't run FF3. I don't remember having played FF1-2.

Imo, the PsOne is the golden era. Everybody prefers one of the three (7-8-9). Mine being FF9 (I know the story and every secret by heart). :tongue:
Its only problem is maybe that it is a bit too easy, only the last chocobo boss is challenging. FF7's bosses are more difficult to defeat, especially the emerald weapon.

FF9

Spoiler

FF7:

Spoiler

FF6:

Spoiler

FF4:

Spoiler

Enjoyed reading your post :smile: Tifa's melons :lol:
Original post by Josb
The main storyline is quite short. You can rapidly climb the tower and defeat Kefka, but the real interest is the ****load amount of sidequests. Just getting Bahamut takes a couple of hours.

It''s the best one. :wink:

Just the main theme is :eek:

Just saw this :redface: After reading this thread and now, your endorsement, I'm definitely going to play it! Thanks for the link x
Reply 36
Enjoyed reading your post :smile: Tifa's melons :lol:

I was 13. They were fascinating. :moon:
Reply 37
How Cloud managed to....

Spoiler

X-2 was fun if you thought of it as it's own game, but if you expect more of X it's ****

VII VIII and IX are the three I really love, and it's difficult picking one over the other but I think VIII is my favourite overall

Quick Reply

Latest