The Student Room Group

GCSE results

Having completed my GCSEs with grades of: Maths: A*Statistics: A*Physics: A*Chemistry: A*Biology: A*English language: AEnglish literature: AGeography: AHistory: AReligious studies: AGerman: BI'm wondering whether these grades will count against me if I apply to Cambridge to do engineering. I have also already completed my Maths AS with an A grade, currently I am studying Maths A2 and further maths, physics and chemistry AS. I'm also wondering whether doing my Maths A level a year early so I have the completed A-Level when I apply will help at all?
Original post by gabbersm
Having completed my GCSEs with grades of: Maths: A*Statistics: A*Physics: A*Chemistry: A*Biology: A*English language: AEnglish literature: AGeography: AHistory: AReligious studies: AGerman: BI'm wondering whether these grades will count against me if I apply to Cambridge to do engineering. I have also already completed my Maths AS with an A grade, currently I am studying Maths A2 and further maths, physics and chemistry AS. I'm also wondering whether doing my Maths A level a year early so I have the completed A-Level when I apply will help at all?

Your GCSEs are fine. Doing A Level Maths early will not give you an advantage.
Reply 2
You can't be serious?
Reply 3
Original post by gabbersm

5A* & 5A is a little below average for Engineering but importantly you have A* in the relevant subjects.
The AS level taken early is not particularly unusual. It will help you if it is a high A (95%+) and disadvantage you if it is a low A (<90%) unless you retake it and aim for 100%.
With completing maths A level early the same applies. Cambridge will discount it when it comes to the offer which will be made on the three subjects you do in year 13. Other universities will usually accept it and give a reduced offer.

In summary Cambridge is definitely an option but your question was not quite as unreasonable as K78R suggested.
Reply 4
Original post by K78R
You can't be serious?

Huh?
Original post by Colmans

With completing maths A level early the same applies. Cambridge will discount it when it comes to the offer which will be made on the three subjects you do in year 13. Other universities will usually accept it and give a reduced offer.

Is this written anywhere? I assumed that Cambridge would give a reduced offer too (e.g. A*A if they got an A* in Maths) since I've seen them fo that for other subjects.
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
Is this written anywhere? I assumed that Cambridge would give a reduced offer too (e.g. A*A if they got an A* in Maths) since I've seen them fo that for other subjects.

It is my own personal experience and those of many others on this forum over the years. I had a AA offer from Durham but an A*AA offer from LSE and Cambridge.
The point is they want to be sure that you can achieve A*AA from the workload of three subjects in the final year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
It is my own personal experience and those of many others on this forum over the years. I had a AA offer from Durham but an A*AA offer from LSE and Cambridge.
The point is they want to be sure that you can achieve A*AA from the workload of three subjects in the final year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lse dont do medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by Gladiatorsword
Lse dont do medicine

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did Economics. The point remains true for Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9

No the CAT, and others, have confirmed applicants are expected to achieve the typical offer in Y13. Any A2s taken earlier would be excluded from the terms of the offer.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by jneill
No the CAT, and others, have confirmed applicants are expected to achieve the typical offer in Y13.

Hmm, I didn't know that. There are people who have put up two-grade offers in University Connect though.
Reply 11
Hmm, I didn't know that. There are people who have put up two-grade offers in University Connect though.

Just did some checking and it's not as clearcut as I thought... this reply by Christ's AT says an applicant with an A* early might get a 2 A-level or 3 A-level offer for Y13. But it sounds like a 3 A-level offer is more common.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571&page=6&highlight=y13&p=58586471#post58586471
Original post by jneill
Just did some checking and it's not as clearcut as I thought... this reply by Christ's AT says an applicant with an A* early might get a 2 A-level or 3 A-level offer for Y13. But it sounds like a 3 A-level offer is more common.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3517571&page=6&highlight=y13&p=58586471#post58586471

Well that's still very useful to know because I had always assumed it would definitely be 2 A Levels. Thank you!
Reply 13
Well that's still very useful to know because I had always assumed it would definitely be 2 A Levels. Thank you!

Yep. They want to ensure candidates are able to cope with the workload of 3 A2s in a year as preparation for Cambridge.

It does depend a little on how people see their Maths.

If you have done sufficient Maths to satisfy the A or A* but have not yet "cashed it in" you may well feel they have only to achieve AA.
I completed Maths A* (first year) with January exams so I knew I had only to get AA from the remaining three subjects in the summer. (Or indeed it would have only been A if I had kept Durham for insurance, as they had also accepted my completed French A2).
Its also part of the reason some claim they have A*A*A*A offers where for NatSci or medicine the early A* has been excluded.

http://issuu.com/caowebeditor/docs/advice_for_teachers?e=4058792/11583621

Scroll through to page 15

(There will always be exceptions especially where there are extenuating circumstances but it is not wise to assume they apply to the normal applicant.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending