The Student Room Group

Germany warn Cameron they won't agreeany EU reform if we don't take more immigrants

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bill_Gates
You're a genius*

More migrants the better. Less of the scum please, turning this country into the third world!

Well addressed. BILL for PM
Original post by Lady Comstock
Err, the whole point of renegotiation is Cameron trying to persuade the British people to stay in the EU, which is surely what the Germans desire.

They really have no clue do they? Blackmail Cameron on the very sensitive topic (for the British) of more migrants, then don't expect the British to opt to stay in the EU.

Cameron is trying to get a better deal for the UK in the EU than any other country (e.g. France). He wants special treatment - which is unfair.

However, Germany is also being unfair by blackmailing the UK like you said.

Basically everyone's being selfish - nothing new there.

I don't think it will backfire though, because just before the referendum I'm guessing the EU will be really nice to us and change their attitude to win voters.
If they don't care about these people then obviously that is wrong, but at the same time letting everyone in because they are unable to feed their family isn't the only other option (and most people on this planet would like to move to the USA, UK or Germany).

They need smart support through strong investment in their countries of origin and sensible aid (not just boxes of bottled water, water pumps for most villages and the creation of companies that can give people jobs).

If someone believes they deserve to live here and these refugees don't then of course that is out of order. However, I don't. I believe I'm incredibly lucky to live here and don't really deserve to compared to some of these people.

But grabbing a million of these people and putting them in east london won't solve anything long term.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
So what you are saying is that because they are no longer refugees according to the "official definition" we can't refer to them as refugees anymore? I find it's much better to still call them refugees because "immigrant" has become a dirty word in this country and implies these people are looking for "benefits" and an easy deal.The majority of these people are coming from war torn countries like syria and risked their lives by floating to france on a raft because they are so desperate.

Are you suggesting that we should follow the standard "rules" of refugees and that they should all stay in the country they arrived in then? Sorry, but this isn't a normal case and I think everyone in Europe should take their fair share of these people.

Most of them aren't even Syrian. A large number are from Kosovo.
Ignoring the importance of smart investment is also a recipe for disaster.

Look, I'm not against taking migrants in, but I am against blindly taking migrants in with no plan. Why not let anyone in, including people from Africa who are dying in civil wars right now? Why doesn't Cameron just go on tv and say "Anyone who is having trouble feeding their family, please come to the UK and we will let you stay?"

Well? Either you think that idea is ridiculous (in which case welcome to common sense - and also racism by your logic) or you think it is fantastic - in which case you have a good heart but are being far too idealistic.

What if Damascus falls? The situation gets many times worse.

What if Damascus doesn't fall? Women and children who cannot leave to get to Europe will live in misery.

*I will repeat I'm not against taking our fair share of migrants, but it's not an easy fix and has limits*
They have had multiple chances to go to nearby camps and get supplies. But they ******** don't, instead they keep pushing and attacking the authorities. You say they need to feed their kids so answer me this, why don't they go to camps?
Wait a minute, if people in Hungary and Croatia have no chance in life why don't we accept Hungarians and Croatians instead? What gives the migrants priority? Seriously you know nothing 😹, I can not stop laughing at how unaware you really are looooooooool, kids smh.

If you knew anything you would know the EU set up camps in these countries but the migrants will not go there. Lol smh 😹.
Reply 47
Quite frankly I've heard enough tripe from both sides of this 'Migrant Exodus' and its doing my head in now. On one side we have the ultra-racists doing their thing. On the other side we have the internet people's heroes saving the world one migrant at a time. What I'm sick of seeing is the vilification of anybody who sits in the middle ground, such as myself.

If I say "We can't just send an open invitation, actions like that have far reaching consequences" I am told by the do-gooders that I am a selfish human and I need to grow up, but really growing up is about having to make tough decisions. All of history shows us that not everybody gets a happy ending though. I recall a video I saw a few months ago where a young migrant from the middle east to Germany cried in front of Angela Merkel (Who was visiting her school) because after some time in Germany she and her family were told they would have to return to the country they came from. Angela Merkel was sympathetic but, and I am paraphrasing here, Merkel's response was basically "I wish I could help everyone, but in my world tough decisions have to be made".

If I say "Yeah I think its a good idea to let in the ones who are actually in danger in their home country, we can help the ones who really need help" I get told I am basically inviting ISIS into my country and spitting on the grave of every British soldier to die ever!?

Its ok for people to have different views. It's not ok to vilify people for having a view opposing to yours. But if you all want to continue telling people what they HAVE to think then just think to yourself that all of this trouble is being caused by an organization of disgusting people who go to the very extremes to force their views upon people.

As a little side note, I was in Manchester a few weeks ago and noticed an alarming number of homeless people about the place. Groups of young people going to bars would walk past them and pay them no attention at all. I wonder how many of them at some point that day or on social media at some point made comment that we should all be helping everyone in need. I'm betting a lot of them did.
Who would have thought it, Germany actually have conquered Europe through politics, not war. Kudos Germany. I love your country(culture, lifestyle, women, countryside) but I hate your government.
Original post by JordE
Quite frankly I've heard enough tripe from both sides of this 'Migrant Exodus' and its doing my head in now. On one side we have the ultra-racists doing their thing. On the other side we have the internet people's heroes saving the world one migrant at a time. What I'm sick of seeing is the vilification of anybody who sits in the middle ground, such as myself.

I wouldn't vilify you. I think it's a really complex issue; most people want to help these people, but people aren't sure what the best solution is.
Your ignorance is astonishing me to be perfectly honest. Firstly the camps are not over burdened as all reports say the migrants refuse to go to the camps.

Secondly EU reports say less than 1/3 of the migrants are from Syria and the majority are from Eastern Europe.

Lebanese ministers reported that 5-7% of the migrants are ISIS affiliates.

Recents reports indicate 99% of the migrants are male.

The EU has set up camps for migrants to be analysed and processed. It is the law. We don't accept anyone without confirming they are who they say they are. They have to follow the law of our lands and follow due process.

They attacked the authorities when they were trying to direct the migrants to the camps

You left wingers have no idea how practicality works. You simply say "open all doors", you are like the people who advertise a house party on social media and then are overwhelmed by the amount of people who come. It's kindergarten politics. You left wingers have no idea how to manage and process this crisis. Your only input is "let everyone in". Smh kids.
What is even more funny is I campaigned for Cameron to take more refugees (not migrants). 4k a year is definitely not enough. I just believe the orphaned kids, the women, the elderly, the young, the ill, the religious minorities and the vulnerable should be flown in from the camps near IS directly, not the middle aged men who are already in safe countries. My thoughts are with those surrounded by ISIS. Apparently I'm a racist but I think 20k over 5 years is a disgrace. I proposed what I think should be done in great detail on another thread.
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
.The majority of these people are coming from war torn countries like syria and risked their lives by floating to france on a raft because they are so desperate.

You must have missed the bit where it was revealed that the family of the little boy found face down on the sea shore were revealed to have been in Turkey for three years and were merely trying to reach a rich country. They themselves were to blame for the loss of the boy.

Are Serbia, Macedonia, Bosnia and Kosovo war-torn?

I'm not aware of anyone having floated to France on a raft. Can you link me?
Why has Croatia got nothing for them?

There is a smart investment, it's called solving the problem. In the meantime, the UK is leading in getting aid there, consolidating the safe zones and making it fit to live in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Gears265
What is even more funny is I campaigned for Cameron to take more refugees (not migrants). 4k a year is definitely not enough. I just believe the orphaned kids, the women, the elderly, the young, the ill, the religious minorities and the vulnerable should be flown in from the camps near IS directly, not the middle aged men who are already in safe countries. My thoughts are with those surrounded by ISIS. Apparently I'm a racist but I think 20k over 5 years is a disgrace. I proposed what I think should be done in great detail on another thread.

I'd be happy to get behind that!

Hands down best proposition I've heard yet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Comeback
Ignoring the importance of smart investment is also a recipe for disaster.

Look, I'm not against taking migrants in, but I am against blindly taking migrants in with no plan. Why not let anyone in, including people from Africa who are dying in civil wars right now? Why doesn't Cameron just go on tv and say "Anyone who is having trouble feeding their family, please come to the UK and we will let you stay?"

Well? Either you think that idea is ridiculous (in which case welcome to common sense - and also racism by your logic) or you think it is fantastic - in which case you have a good heart but are being far too idealistic.

What if Damascus falls? The situation gets many times worse.

What if Damascus doesn't fall? Women and children who cannot leave to get to Europe will live in misery.

*I will repeat I'm not against taking our fair share of migrants, but it's not an easy fix and has limits*

Good post +1
Original post by Slipandsquirm
I'd be happy to get behind that!

Hands down best proposition I've heard yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think because we have two sides to the story of immigration, we put a temporary limit on the economic migrants coming to the UK, reducing the net from 330+k to around 190k. This will relieve services but also open up a void for the most desperate refugees in the camps near Syria. We can use a proportion of the foreign aid budget to fund the project, at least then we can be confident where and how the money is spent. This is important considering we hear cases of the aid going towards military budgets of poorer nations and funding governmental schemes that do not help the population.

We must not push the refugees to the front of the housing register though as we should put the citizens of the UK first. We need to set up permanent refugee camps, starting at brownfield sites and using necessary greenfield sites if required. I think young children will be keen for an education as are many kids from this part of the world. We accept them into schools near areas with lower stress on the education service and especially in the areas where recent free schools have been built. It will serve the refugees better if the camps they attend are in areas already experiencing levels of immigration. Therefore the cultural and religious needs would have already been met. But I must express that their welfare will be funded by the foreign aid budget (plus subsidies will be provided by the EU) and not the welfare state.

I think strict rules should be placed on them though, since we have accepted them gracefully, if any commit a crime of a violent nature, the offenders should be immediately returned to the camps near Syria, we can not be a pushover.

We should also hold temporary refugees until Arab nations have been forced to take their fair share and we transfer them accordingly.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by JordE

If I say "We can't just send an open invitation, actions like that have far reaching consequences" I am told by the do-gooders that I am a selfish human and I need to grow up, but really growing up is about having to make tough decisions. All of history shows us that not everybody gets a happy ending though. I recall a video I saw a few months ago where a young migrant from the middle east to Germany cried in front of Angela Merkel (Who was visiting her school) because after some time in Germany she and her family were told they would have to return to the country they came from. Angela Merkel was sympathetic but, and I am paraphrasing here, Merkel's response was basically "I wish I could help everyone, but in my world tough decisions have to be made".

If I say "Yeah I think its a good idea to let in the ones who are actually in danger in their home country, we can help the ones who really need help" I get told I am basically inviting ISIS into my country and spitting on the grave of every British soldier to die ever!?

Its ok for people to have different views. It's not ok to vilify people for having a view opposing to yours. But if you all want to continue telling people what they HAVE to think then just think to yourself that all of this trouble is being caused by an organization of disgusting people who go to the very extremes to force their views upon people.

As a little side note, I was in Manchester a few weeks ago and noticed an alarming number of homeless people about the place. Groups of young people going to bars would walk past them and pay them no attention at all. I wonder how many of them at some point that day or on social media at some point made comment that we should all be helping everyone in need. I'm betting a lot of them did.

EXACTLY. I am tired of all the extremists on both sides

Right wing: these third world brown scum are coming to claim benefits, change our ethnic profile and advocate terrorism, we will be an islamic country by 2020 nobody will speak english, the west is over, gas them all in a chamber, this is because the left wing hate the white race and want to wipe out the aryans

left wing: poor people, we need to take everyone in, how dare you mention the fact that they are throwing away their passports to pretend to be syrian? how dare u mention that they are breaking the law, crossing countries illegally and causing chaos in every country, we need to help these refugees lets take all of them in, how can you build fences, there should be no borders, everyone should be allowed to walk into europe with no documents and should have the right to live wherever they want, lets invite 40 million other people, im gonna house 5 families, i aint helping that poor homeless men down the road though #refugeeswelcome
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by driftawaay
EXACTLY. I am tired of all the extremists on both sides

Right wing: these third world brown scum are coming to claim benefits, change our ethnic profile and advocate terrorism, we will be an islamic country by 2020 nobody will speak english, the west is over, gas them all in a chamber, this is because the left wing hate the white race and want to wipe out the aryans

Weren't the Aryans Indo-Iranian and Brown anyway
Original post by Starvation13
Merkel playing hardball again lol. But she already used that threat for the UK to agree to an EU Army.

Why is she playing the same card twice? :angry:

Because she can, simples.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending