The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Getting around York

Hi, I was wondering what services (bus or otherwise) run for students. Either around the york campus itself or into town.

I am mainly wondering because i am on Heslington west and need to get to Heslington East daily.

Also, any information about pricing and/or where to buy tickets would be greatly appreciated thanks.
Original post by Juppaware
Hi, I was wondering what services (bus or otherwise) run for students. Either around the york campus itself or into town.

I am mainly wondering because i am on Heslington west and need to get to Heslington East daily.

Also, any information about pricing and/or where to buy tickets would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I was at the open day on Saturday, and I was surprised (and pleased!) to learn that the regular bus between the two campuses, west and east, is free for students. So you can just catch that each day and not worry about budgeting for it. I didn't pay much attention when people were talking about buses into town unfortunately, but I do remember that it isn't expensive for a return ticket. :smile:
University of York
York
Reply 2
Original post by doctorwhofan98
I was at the open day on Saturday, and I was surprised (and pleased!) to learn that the regular bus between the two campuses, west and east, is free for students. So you can just catch that each day and not worry about budgeting for it. I didn't pay much attention when people were talking about buses into town unfortunately, but I do remember that it isn't expensive for a return ticket. :smile:

Thanks so much. I appreciate the quick response. I just hope I can find the bus number and it's timetable and where to even get on.
Reply 3
Link to YUSU post about buses

So between the campuses is free, and the others look quite cheap as well. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by leahdw
Link to YUSU post about buses

So between the campuses is free, and the others look quite cheap as well. :smile:

Thanks a ton. This is almost exactly what i was looking for. Also, recently found out. For those that are reading google maps, when asking for directions and selecting transport option, will list university bus options to take too. I found this really helpful
Hi there,

There are various buses that run through campus to the city centre. The UoY66 service starts from Heslington East running through campus and stopping at the railway station and in the city centre. Buses run every 6 to 7 minutes at the busiest times on Mondays to Saturday daytimes. The UoY66 provides free travel around the Heslington campus.

There is also the ub.1 service which is a dedicated free shuttle bus service for travel around the Heslington campus during term-time.

The UoY56 service provides an hourly service from Heslington East through the campus to King's Manor (Archaeology Department) in the city centre via the the railway station and popular student areas of the city.

I hope this helps,

Helen
Reply 6
Do not underestimate the virtues of walking :smile:

OK, if you're in a hurry and have to get to Kings Manor, it's a bit of a trek, but the center of the city isn't far from Hes West.

West to East is about a mile(?) so if it were me, I'd walk in, if nothing else, to wake up a bit. I do a similar walk every day in London between college and the station.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending