The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Is there still popularity at university?

I'm applying for Natural Sciences at Cambridge and Physics at Imperial, Exeter, Birmingham and Durham.

What I'd like to know is is there still a social hierarchy at university? Like a popular crowd? Are there certain groups that are cooler than others, and certain groups who always get invited to parties and others who never get invited to parties? If so, then what is it based on? Looks? Personality? Money? Are the same people who were popular at secondary school popular at university?
Er, yes. In university. Throughout your life. If you end up in a nursing home there will probably be a popular crowd.

But, hopefully, if you find "your" crowd, and become more comfortable with yourself, it won't matter nearly as much.

Original post by _SnowyLinenLand
Are the same people who were popular at secondary school popular at university?

Happily, no. Sense of humour counts for more at uni. You'll be leaving behind a lot of muppets.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Original post by _SnowyLinenLand
I'm applying for Natural Sciences at Cambridge and Physics at Imperial, Exeter, Birmingham and Durham.

What I'd like to know is is there still a social hierarchy at university? Like a popular crowd? Are there certain groups that are cooler than others, and certain groups who always get invited to parties and others who never get invited to parties? If so, then what is it based on? Looks? Personality? Money? Are the same people who were popular at secondary school popular at university?

Yes, Yes, and Yes.

Quick Reply