The Student Room Group

university of British Columbia

Hi. I am looking forward to apply to UBC. Anyone studying there can tell me hows the student life and campus and yearly cost of attendence? My as results AAA. A2predicted hopefully AAA
You can check their yearly tuition fees on their official website and take a virtual tour of their campus too, it's gorgeous! As for student life, I recommend you try watching some Youtube videos students have put up of their experiences, you'll find a couple.
I am here to share my experience. I did A-Level in England, scored AAAB, and finally I end up in UBC this September. I have also got into KCL, Southampton, SOAS, Queen Mary in the UK. The reason to make the decision was I thought North America have much more opportunities and so on. The reason why Canada is because Canadian Universities consider British based education, no SAT requirement, they do accept A-Levels instead of SAT, and you can even get transfer credits for them. However, the Universities in Canada is four years, and it is true that you will lose all you friends back to England (I know it is really painful), you need a long period to gain new friends. There isn't much different of living in Vancouver, however you still need to face a new environment. Vancouver is not as expensive as London, I think is affordable. For example, lunch for about CAD$10 (5 pounds) you can eat for a really good one. The university life in UBC I think it likes the most of good universities in the world, study is stressful and hard. Hope this helps.
Original post by marcoboy1818
I am here to share my experience. I did A-Level in England, scored AAAB, and finally I end up in UBC this September. I have also got into KCL, Southampton, SOAS, Queen Mary in the UK. The reason to make the decision was I thought North America have much more opportunities and so on. The reason why Canada is because Canadian Universities consider British based education, no SAT requirement, they do accept A-Levels instead of SAT, and you can even get transfer credits for them. However, the Universities in Canada is four years, and it is true that you will lose all you friends back to England (I know it is really painful), you need a long period to gain new friends. There isn't much different of living in Vancouver, however you still need to face a new environment. Vancouver is not as expensive as London, I think is affordable. For example, lunch for about CAD$10 (5 pounds) you can eat for a really good one. The university life in UBC I think it likes the most of good universities in the world, study is stressful and hard. Hope this helps.

1) what nationality are you?
2) what subjects did you take and with which exam boards?
3) Why did you choose canada over uk?
1. Chinese
2. Eco, Math, Art, Geography, Chinese all Edexcel
3. More opportunities in North America (jobs) over Europe, higher ranking, lower cost.
Reply 5
Hey marcoboy1818I see that you are an international student at the UBC
I am applying to the very same university this year and I was hoping you could help out a fellow international applicant
First of all I would like to ask about the living costs per year in Vancouver
Mehodax
Reply 6

Thank you. I want to know about student life. As I will be moving to a new place and almost not keep in touch with old friends, I want to know how the people are there. I don't want a dull or not friendly student body with not much activity and study whole time :frown: . Obviously, Studying is the main reason for attending a great university like UBC, apart from its glorious academic ranking I was expecting that UBC would be of more friendly people who are social or something not just have a boring 4 year and few friends. Looking forward for your reply
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Mehodax
Hey marcoboy1818I see that you are an international student at the UBC
I am applying to the very same university this year and I was hoping you could help out a fellow international applicant
First of all I would like to ask about the living costs per year in Vancouver
Mehodax

Hey, there.

The Living cost in Vancouver vary, depends what types of residence you are looking for. If you require good living condition, then they price might be higher. For examples, a studio for the student accommodation is around 1000 CAD per month (500 pounds), and a shared one is about 400 CAD. Food is definitely cheaper, and if you are a UBC student, transportation costs is included in you tutorial fee.

Hot Marco :smile:
Original post by Amit_deb
Thank you. I want to know about student life. As I will be moving to a new place and almost not keep in touch with old friends, I want to know how the people are there. I don't want a dull or not friendly student body with not much activity and study whole time :frown: . Obviously, Studying is the main reason for attending a great university like UBC, apart from its glorious academic ranking I was expecting that UBC would be of more friendly people who are social or something not just have a boring 4 year and few friends. Looking forward for your reply

Hey,

True tho, that moving to a new environment can be awful in the beginning. For me, I have lost all my baes and boys TT, lose of old friends is something you need to consider about. However, in a good way, people here are nice, staffs and students are friendly. Weekly parties and club activities are uncalcuatbse. It is a good university, and you will only panic in the first two weeks, once you get used to it, then enjoy UBC! Making friend in University is generally different to high school, so you will be fine. Again, you will find academic work is quite a lot in the beginning, be when u get used to it, then it's okay. However, you will definitely have time to have fun outside school or nigh life.

Hope you application goes smoothly.

Hot Marc
Reply 9
Hey,

True tho, that moving to a new environment can be awful in the beginning. For me, I have lost all my baes and boys TT, lose of old friends is something you need to consider about. However, in a good way, people here are nice, staffs and students are friendly. Weekly parties and club activities are uncalcuatbse. It is a good university, and you will only panic in the first two weeks, once you get used to it, then enjoy UBC! Making friend in University is generally different to high school, so you will be fine. Again, you will find academic work is quite a lot in the beginning, be when u get used to it, then it's okay. However, you will definitely have time to have fun outside school or nigh life.

Hope you application goes smoothly.

Hot Marc

Thank you so much =D

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending