The Student Room Group

Why do so many men commit suicide?

Courtesy of TSR's favorite journalist and political commentator, Owen Jones!

[video="youtube;wUkJaDvPlG0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUkJaDvPlG0&index=1&list=PLTYmWuFco1_089houzfDL0CzYd mlP1Wq9[/video]

I didn't realise suicide was the most common cause of death for men aged 20-49. I new it was high but not that bad.

If it wasn't for my mum and to extent my dad I wouldn't have anyone to talk to about things that really make me fed up. I used to get really worried about them dieing and being left all alone with no one. I didn't know how I would survive. I think I still am like that. I'm sacred of moving out properly because then I will be all on my own with just by crummy thoughts.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Courtesy of TSR's favorite journalist and political commentator, Owen Jones!

[video="youtube;wUkJaDvPlG0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUkJaDvPlG0&index=1&list=PLTYmWuFco1_089houzfDL0CzYd mlP1Wq9[/video]

I didn't realise suicide was the most common cause of death for men aged 20-49. I new it was high but not that bad.

If it wasn't for my mum and to extent my dad I wouldn't have anyone to talk to about things that really make me fed up. I used to get really worried about them dieing and being left all alone with no one. I didn't know how I would survive. I think I still am like that. I'm sacred of moving out properly because then I will be all on my own with just by crummy thoughts.

There are several reasons.

The most common though can be boiled down to two.

1. A mans seeking help for depression (no matter its circumstance) is deemed as weak, this is a sign of a patriachy having its negative affect on men. Men are expected to be stoic and "man up" (a phrase even ive used despite myself) to stop being a cry baby. Men (particuarly older men) believe this to be true so they dont reach out for help, they plod along being all "manly" just getting more and ground down. Men who cry are deemed weak (or a joke) even the media mocks men who cant do things.
2. A lot of services that are most primarily out there and well known are either for both genders and/or focus on women. There are very few (except in the gay community) male dominated/men only charities/well being groups/support networks for men who dont know where to turn.

Then when it gets too much, they commit suicide and everyone says "what a shame" and "i didnt know there was anything wrong" and "id never thought he would do something like that"
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Why? I think for a myriad of reasons: family life, work life, depression, loss of a loved one, etc.

Before people cite the difference in the number of suicides by men vs. women, note that attempted suicides by women rival that of men. It's just that men tend to be more successful in ending their lives, as they choose a more violent way of doing so.
Women have all the charities and help etc.
[video="youtube;6irO2-s3-yk"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6irO2-s3-yk[/video]
Original post by ChickenMadness
Women have all the charities and help etc.

But there are plenty of charities that aren't aimed just at women.
Original post by OU Student
But there are plenty of charities that aren't aimed just at women.

It didn't take long for it to turn into a women vs men thing :-/

There are also charities aimed just at men. Like all the prostate cancer ones...
(edited 8 years ago)
Regardless of gender, the MH support by the NHS in this country is often ****ing awful.
Original post by Popsy1234
Regardless of gender, the MH support by the NHS in this country is often ****ing awful.

Amen to that.😳
Reply 9
Original post by caravaggio2
Or because more men mean to do it while more women are just crying for help.

That's also true, and of course men feel like there is less of a safety net for them, as another poster said told to 'man up', which obviously doesn't help matters. Damn gender expectations.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
It didn't take long for it to turn into a women vs men thing :-/

There are also charities aimed just at men. Like all the prostate cancer ones...

You started a thread about women vs men when your OP is about how more men commit suicide than women

A prostate cancer charity for women is about as much use as an ovarian cancer charity for men
I think silverbolt nailed it really, but I just wanted to add that I think we should move away from using the phrase "commit suicide". It's not a crime any more, and never should have been. "Took their own life" or "died by suicide" sound a bit clunky, but are better than implying that the person did something wrong.
(edited 8 years ago)
What upsets me the most is that men don't feel like they can cry, that they need to be super macho about everything and not talk about their feelings. No one benefits from this. Men shouldn't feel they can't express emotions and if anyone makes them feel bad for opening up they shouldn't give up hope and turn in on themselves they have every right to feel those feelings and there'll be someone they know who will hear them out.
Genuinely I think the inavailability of any attention and sex from hypergamous, empowered, spoilt for choice women may have something to do with it. A lot of straight men suffering only for their desire for a woman, which is denied constantly.
dont do it m8 i am here for you
I've not watched either of those videos on here, but I have a theory. It might be a crackpot theory, but I think there's something in it.
Loneliness can be pretty rough. The means to get out of it can be quite tough too, considering as unless you're good looking you have to be a go getter which is difficult if your confidence is already depleted.

Its a hell of a self perpetuating cycle.
Original post by silverbolt
You started a thread about women vs men when your OP is about how more men commit suicide than women

What? No I didn't. It;s a thread about why men commit suicide and how ti is the biggest cause of death in that age range. It has nothing to do with childish antagonistic gender wars.

Yeah, I've seen people on here complain about all the money and resources that go into breast cancer... That's why I brought that up.

Instead of moaning about their being charities aimed solely at women maybe they should give money to or help set up charities for men. There was that male rape victims charity that had funding cut by the Cons. Of course everyone blamed the evil feminists. Instead of taking away the female focused charities make more male focused ones to balance it out.
Reply 18
They do it because women are annoying asf
Original post by Little Popcorns
What upsets me the most is that men don't feel like they can cry, that they need to be super macho about everything and not talk about their feelings. No one benefits from this. Men shouldn't feel they can't express emotions and if anyone makes them feel bad for opening up they shouldn't give up hope and turn in on themselves they have every right to feel those feelings and there'll be someone they know who will hear them out.

That's cos a lot of women are calculated. I'm not really a cryer but it would be good to feel you could hug a woman in a relationship or whatever or just hold her slowly, things that stregthen you, without them adhering to some strict dehumanising protocol of what equals a man which leaves people emotionally devoid. Maybe that sounds grandiose...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending