The Student Room Group

Oxford PAT 2015

Hi, here are my solutions to the 2014 paper.
Solutions to older papers can be found on my website.

There are video solutions to some of the physics sections prepared by Rob Cowen and Alan Godfrey:

You can use AS Physics Olympiad papers for more practice.

This year there are a some changes in the structure of the test:
- There will not be multiple choice questions in the physics section.
- The 20 mark long physics questions will be replaced by shorter questions worth less than 10 marks each.

A specimen paper has been released for the new format. Here are my solutions for the 2015 specimen paper.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I looked at a paper and I'm so stunned. I don't remember any of the equations, I don't remember M1 and I certainly don't remember C2 formulas. I never even learnt probability and S1! this is absolutely ridiculous. I don't even know where to start with most questions!!
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by PhysicsMathsTut

There are video solutions to some of the physics sections prepared by Rob Cowen and Alan Godfrey:

- The 20 mark long physics questions will be replaced by shorter questions worth less than 10 marks each.

Hi,

I've been using your website for past PAT papers (it's been a great help, thank you!), but I am stuck on question 14b in the 2006 paper. I have looked at the solution but I do not really understand it :/ Would you perhaps be able to clarify it a bit and talk me through the way you did it? I made a thread about it here : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3624843
Hi, has anyone done the 2015 specimen paper yet? Me and my classmates are all stumped on Q9: "Find the equations of the tangents drawn from the point (−4, 3) to the circle x^2 + y^2 = 5." We don't even know where to begin! Any suggestions?
All questions in that paper are taken from past papers. I don't remember which year that question comes from, but check the recent papers first
Reply 5
Original post by EngineerH
Hi, has anyone done the 2015 specimen paper yet? Me and my classmates are all stumped on Q9: "Find the equations of the tangents drawn from the point (−4, 3) to the circle x^2 + y^2 = 5." We don't even know where to begin! Any suggestions?

It's question 9 from the 2014 paper. :smile:

Here's a hint if you don't want to look at the solutions:
Where the tangent meets the circle is the intersection of that circle with another, which has the tangent as the radius

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks! Are there solutions for this though? Where are they?
Reply 8

Hi,
Please could you post the solutions to question 10,11 and 16 on the 2015 sample paper?
Thank you
where do you find the 2015 specimen paper?

Well you know that the angle between a radius and a tangent is 90 degrees, so you can make a right angled triangle and use trig to help you out.
Original post by ChronicBoredom
where do you find the 2015 specimen paper?

Original post by runny4
Hi,
Please could you post the solutions to question 10,11 and 16 on the 2015 sample paper?
Thank you

Thanks! Are there solutions for this though? Where are they?

I added the specimen paper and my solutions to the first post
Reply 12
I added the specimen paper and my solutions to the first post

thanks
PAT is so hard ! anyone else struggling?
Original post by Patrick2810

Maths bit is okay ish, but the physics part is ridiculous
Original post by IIEquinoxII
Maths bit is okay ish, but the physics part is ridiculous

Original post by Patrick2810

I cant do this ****. The physics is mind boggling.
Maths is do-able but making lots of silly mistakes as I can't remember all this bloody formulae!!
can someone explain q19 on the 2012 paper? Ive seen the answers but I dont understand it :frown:
Seeing that I'm not the only one here having difficulty with PAT past papers makes me feel more confident :wink:
Original post by 3bdelhakeem
Seeing that I'm not the only one here having difficulty with PAT past papers makes me feel more confident :wink:

Yeah, it's not like it's meant to be easy/meant for everyone to get 90%+ on. Bearing in mind that we're already the people who score 80/90% on standard tests anyway, it's splitting the end of the bell-curve, ya' know?
Is anyone else struggling to understand the actual questions?? It probably seems silly, but I spend half the paper trying to understand what the question is actually asking of me- the questions are phrased so poorly as well. I don't know if this is part of the aptitude but it's stressing me out. When I look at the solutions I'm like oh, I could've easily done that, but I can't imagine what they've written down. I even panic whilst I'm doing past papers. God knows what will happen in the real thing.

I'm finding myself getting max scores of the low 30's. It's just embarassing..

Quick Reply

Latest