The Student Room Group

Uni chances... Help!

Hi, I just wanted to ask you guys what sort of chance you think I have for the universities I'll write below for the PPE course..? Also, if you don't mind for straight Economics

My GCSE's were pretty poor (2A*s- Business and ICT, 4As - Maths RE English Spanish, 3Bs, 1C) and I could have done a lot better, but I guess they weren't that bad in the context of my school's performance - I think they were in the top 20-25 ish, I went to and still go to a state school.

However I did improve in AS and got the following grades;
Maths - A
Economics - A (only A grade in my college/sixth form)
Philosophy & Ethics - A
Citizenship - B (didn't have any lessons for it and didn't put any effort, was an extra AS by the school)

Now in year 13 I've Picked up AS Further Maths (and obviously dropped Citizenship); which I should be getting an A in (Doing FP1, S2, D2) and I think I am Predicted A*AA A, but could convince my college/school to predict me A*A*A A I guess (they are quite conservative in their predictions). So all in all I think I could come out of A levels with A*A*A A b

I've done quite a lot of extra-curricular (lots of charity work and other impressive feats) , work exp. and insights at IBs and Financial Services firms etc. and have books to talk about. So let's assume a good personal statement for this instance.

The uni and courses are;
Oxford - PPE
LSE - PPE / Philosophy and Economics. Also, Economics (I know it's very unlikely).
Warwick - PPE / Philosophy and Economics. Also, Economics
UCL - PPE / Philosophy and Economics. Also, Economics
York - PPE
Durham - PPE. Also, Economics.

I know Oxford and LSE (probably all of them actually) are quite a far reach but want people's opinions anyways!
Thank you :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump :redface:
Reply 2
Bump.. Could anyone please help?
Reply 3
Bump:redface:
You'll have a good shot at UCL and York, but the other ones are ambitious and much harder to get into. I'd probably suggest dropping LSE as they care a lot about GCSEs and maybe replace it with Nottingham or go for economics at Durham instead? Also you will probably find it easier to get onto philosophy and Eco courses at LSE, Oxford and Durham as those are the super competitive PPE unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by mizzsnazzter
You'll have a good shot at UCL and York, but the other ones are ambitious and much harder to get into. I'd probably suggest dropping LSE as they care a lot about GCSEs and maybe replace it with Nottingham or go for economics at Durham instead? Also you will probably find it easier to get onto philosophy and Eco courses at LSE, Oxford and Durham as those are the super competitive PPE unis

Posted from TSR Mobile

hm thanks for the reply.. but I like the look of LSE and it's only AAA for Philosophy and Economics..! Acceptance rate is 8% though. Warwick is one of my definite choices.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yesyesyesno
Hi, I just wanted to ask you guys what sort of chance you think I have for the universities I'll write below for the PPE course..? Also, if you don't mind for straight Economics

My GCSE's were pretty poor (2A*s- Business and ICT, 4As - Maths RE English Spanish, 3Bs, 1C) and I could have done a lot better, but I guess they weren't that bad in the context of my school's performance - I think they were in the top 20-25 ish, I went to and still go to a state school.

However I did improve in AS and got the following grades;
Maths - A
Economics - A (only A grade in my college/sixth form)
Philosophy & Ethics - A
Citizenship - B (didn't have any lessons for it and didn't put any effort, was an extra AS by the school)

Now in year 13 I've Picked up AS Further Maths (and obviously dropped Citizenship); which I should be getting an A in (Doing FP1, S2, D2) and I think I am Predicted A*AA A, but could convince my college/school to predict me A*A*A A I guess (they are quite conservative in their predictions). So all in all I think I could come out of A levels with A*A*A A b

I've done quite a lot of extra-curricular (lots of charity work and other impressive feats) , work exp. and insights at IBs and Financial Services firms etc. and have books to talk about. So let's assume a good personal statement for this instance.

The uni and courses are;
Oxford - PPE
LSE - PPE / Philosophy and Economics. Also, Economics (I know it's very unlikely).
Warwick - PPE / Philosophy and Economics. Also, Economics
UCL - PPE / Philosophy and Economics. Also, Economics
York - PPE
Durham - PPE. Also, Economics.

I know Oxford and LSE (probably all of them actually) are quite a far reach but want people's opinions anyways!
Thank you :smile:

What do your teachers say? At my school we'd advise forgetting Oxford and LSE - GCSEs just not good enough - replace by somewhere like Exeter to add to Warwick, Durham etc.

The unis you list are in very different parts of the country and offer very different experiences ... think about that too.
Got into UCL with similar if not worse GCSE grades and interview at Oxford.

You stand a chance with all of those.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Got into UCL with similar if not worse GCSE grades and interview at Oxford.

You stand a chance with all of those.

What was the subject?
Original post by mizzsnazzter
What was the subject?

Psychology

Quick Reply

Latest