The Student Room Group

Learner Driving help??

Hey, so I'm taking my first ever practical driving test super soon and I'm worried I'll fail it purely because I'm sooooo nervous.

Does anyone have any tips that might help me to calm down during the test so I at least have a chance at passing?

Original post by LouOla
Hey, so I'm taking my first ever practical driving test super soon and I'm worried I'll fail it purely because I'm sooooo nervous.

Does anyone have any tips that might help me to calm down during the test so I at least have a chance at passing?

- Do a mock test with an instructor. Tell them to act as an examiner with the paper and writing down your minors/majors and ask them not to chat (some examiners do chat but I've never had one who did, they only gave me directions). This way you get used to the atmosphere of a test
- Try to be as calm as you can!
- Practise anything you don't feel too good with before the test so you know in your head that you are as prepared as you can be
- Get a good nights sleep and some food before the test
- Take a bottle of water with you in the test. When I had to pull over/before a manuever I had a sip of water
- Ask your instructor what your weaknesses are currently and work on them
- As for the nerves, try to think of it as a lesson (but a more serious one). So many people fail because they do things because of nerves
- Don't rush a turn or rush waiting to get onto the roundabout. It's much safer to wait a little longer and find a safe spot you can get into rather than rush and potentially cause yourself to fail. I waited what felt like ages at a roundabout and was worried I took too long, but I didn't get a minor or fail for that
- Don't be scared to ask the examiner to repeat the directions. Just ask them again or keep saying them out loud if you need to. Also don't worry if you take a wrong direction. They will redirect you

That is all I can think of for now. Good luck :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by tinkerbell_xxx
- Do a mock test with an instructor. Tell them to act as an examiner with the paper and writing down your minors/majors and ask them not to chat (some examiners do chat but I've never had one who did, they only gave me directions). This way you get used to the atmosphere of a test
- Try to be as calm as you can!
- Practise anything you don't feel too good with before the test so you know in your head that you are as prepared as you can be
- Get a good nights sleep and some food before the test
- Take a bottle of water with you in the test. When I had to pull over/before a manuever I had a sip of water
- Ask your instructor what your weaknesses are currently and work on them
- As for the nerves, try to think of it as a lesson (but a more serious one). So many people fail because they do things because of nerves
- Don't rush a turn or rush waiting to get onto the roundabout. It's much safer to wait a little longer and find a safe spot you can get into rather than rush and potentially cause yourself to fail. I waited what felt like ages at a roundabout and was worried I took too long, but I didn't get a minor or fail for that
- Don't be scared to ask the examiner to repeat the directions. Just ask them again or keep saying them out loud if you need to. Also don't worry if you take a wrong direction. They will redirect you

That is all I can think of for now. Good luck :smile:

That's all reeeaally helpful, I'll definitely be trying most of those! Thanks :biggrin:
Original post by LouOla
That's all reeeaally helpful, I'll definitely be trying most of those! Thanks :biggrin:

Your welcome :smile: Update the thread after your test! I hope you pass!!
Reply 4

Ok I will, thank you :smile:
The test is not just about how technical a driver you are. Its about whether you are safe on the roads. Know your car, know what your doing and dont do anything rash or silly. Keep calm.

Good luck and may the force be with you
Reply 6
Original post by silverbolt
The test is not just about how technical a driver you are. Its about whether you are safe on the roads. Know your car, know what your doing and dont do anything rash or silly. Keep calm.

Good luck and may the force be with you

Thank you very much :smile:
Reply 7

So I didn't pass my test because I did something VERY silly and I have no idea why- I didn't stop at a red light! :redface: However throughout the test I barely had nerves at all so thank you very much for your tips :smile: will be sure to pass the next one!
Original post by LouOla
So I didn't pass my test because I did something VERY silly and I have no idea why- I didn't stop at a red light! :redface: However throughout the test I barely had nerves at all so thank you very much for your tips :smile: will be sure to pass the next one!

Bad luck, I failed 6 times before I passed generally with 2-5 minors (except for one hideous test) but with 1 major which were always silly slips in judgement that I'd never done in lessons. Its tough getting so close, but you will get there just re-book and good luck!
Reply 9
Original post by dean01234
Bad luck, I failed 6 times before I passed generally with 2-5 minors (except for one hideous test) but with 1 major which were always silly slips in judgement that I'd never done in lessons. Its tough getting so close, but you will get there just re-book and good luck!

Thanks so much, that made me feel a lot better- well done for passing! :biggrin: It's gonna be a little hard for me to book another one now as I leave for uni soon- but I'll definitely see what i can do :smile:
It really isn't that hard. Good luck and try not to overthink it. When you get in the car just focus on the driving and don't worry about anything that has gone on before the test or anything that's to come after it.
Original post by LouOla

Oh no :frown: Such a silly mistake.
Don't worry though, use the experience to help you pass next time! I passed on my fourth attempt so you will get there! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending