The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JTran38
Good Luck to you for your GCSEs :biggrin:

You to.
Reply 161
Update 20/11/15

Today was alright. For Maths, my teacher is still ill and we had supply, the HOD set us too much work as he expected us to do a lot of textbook work 3 exercises for one topic and 1 each for the other topics and it was extremely long. For the second half of the lesson, I spent time revising for Biology B1 by reading my notes and annotating it. For Physics, we were doing a B1 Quiz before individually revising, I revised for B1 and C1 by asking him questions on the recent exam I did for C1. For French, we were doing an activity and during that she told us our grades for the recent reading and listening papers, I've indeed got an A* for Reading (top of the class) whilst the majority had flopped the listening exam and she kept quiet on that but gave us advice on it.

Today, I was finally given the paper copy of my new timetable for next week which is good but I hate my year group team as they're inefficient in dealing with problems in the year group such as behaviour and when it comes to simple things like important letters/notes that need handing out. Absolutely inadequate! I was also given a revision pack with consists of paper for flash cards, pen, pencil and a highlighter rather oddly which will came in handy. Next week, I will be leaving early on some days as I don't have exams in the afternoon e.g Tuesday.

Tonight, I will be revising for B1 and as I have said, I will be doing a past paper from AQA to see where I need to focus on for Tuesday's exam.
Reply 162
I've done the past paper for B1 and got 48/60 for the 2014 paper which is good but I need to revise B1.8 Evolution as that's my weakness in B1 and some other smaller topics as questions on those weren't asked e.g carbon cycle. I'm going to do the past paper for C1 tomorrow or tonight depending on the circumstances but it's likely to be tomorrow as I need a break from Science. I've got a free period next week as we're off timetable but I hope I'm not made to do an activity with the other lot that doesn't have an exam during that period as my Chemistry/Physics teacher is free then and he'll be able to help me with any Science revision. :biggrin:
Original post by JTran38
I've done the past paper for B1 and got 48/60 for the 2014 paper which is good but I need to revise B1.8 Evolution as that's my weakness in B1 and some other smaller topics as questions on those weren't asked e.g carbon cycle. I'm going to do the past paper for C1 tomorrow or tonight depending on the circumstances but it's likely to be tomorrow as I need a break from Science. I've got a free period next week as we're off timetable but I hope I'm not made to do an activity with the other lot that doesn't have an exam during that period as my Chemistry/Physics teacher is free then and he'll be able to help me with any Science revision. :biggrin:

Nice, our school is taking a very different approach to exams. For the science based subjects i.e Biology, we have an exam after we have completed one topic. I find this extremely unhelpful as it only tests our ability on a small amount instead of B1 e.t.c. Good luck with your upcoming exams. I have a Biology exam coming up soon aswell.
Reply 164
Original post by Dawud84
Nice, our school is taking a very different approach to exams. For the science based subjects i.e Biology, we have an exam after we have completed one topic. I find this extremely unhelpful as it only tests our ability on a small amount instead of B1 e.t.c. Good luck with your upcoming exams. I have a Biology exam coming up soon aswell.

I've started my GCSEs about 1-2 years early with Science being last year as I mainly did B1 work, some C1 and a little of P1.
Reply 165
Update 21/11/15

This morning is the start to a busy weekend as I have my mock exams due soon. I'm going to start with English Language and History revision before going back to Chemistry C1.
Reply 166
Update 23/11/15

Finally an early post!!! Today was the beginning of my long week of mock exams. This morning, I was left standing in the cold for a good 20 minutes as the staff was totally disorganised with getting our belongings to one place and sorting out where we'll sit in the exam and so on. For the English Language Paper 1 mock, I did specimen 2 of Paper 1 which was a lot harder for the reading section but I applied maximum effort on that and it should pay off, for the writing section it was easy as I had to write about a time I was unsure or challenged about something so I wrote about my personal struggle back in Y9 for Assessment 3. * For History/Geography, it was an outright mess with the staff as those doing History had no paper to write on and that delayed the exam but I don't blame the invigilators as they were told what to do by the staff. The exam was quite long but this time I've managed to complete the questions fully within minutes to spare and I'm happy with the exam.

* For those who don't know I was bullied by the arrogant students over my academic progress but the situation has since been resolved.

Right now, I'll be getting ready for my last Science revision for B1 and C1 before tomorrow. :biggrin:
Reply 167
Update 24/11/15

Today I had my B1 and C1 mock exam and it was a relieve that they're organisation was better from yesterday but they caused a mess with the alphabetical order seating plan as some people's names like mine wasn't on the seat and we had to be allocated spare seats next to the Y11, which wasn't ideal at all nor was sharing the hall with them. For B1, I did the 2015 past paper which was actually alright as it mainly focuses on drugs if I recall correctly and was straightforward. However, the C1 past paper was hard as there was so much emphasis on my weaker topics in C1 but having looked the grade boundaries for that ... Grade C is 17 marks whist a Grade B is 27 marks there's still hope as I didn't do that badly.

Tomorrow, I have a Maths Non Calculator and French Listening, Reading and maybe a writing task for my mock exams.
Original post by JTran38
Update 24/11/15

Today I had my B1 and C1 mock exam and it was a relieve that they're organisation was better from yesterday but they caused a mess with the alphabetical order seating plan as some people's names like mine wasn't on the seat and we had to be allocated spare seats next to the Y11, which wasn't ideal at all nor was sharing the hall with them. For B1, I did the 2015 past paper which was actually alright as it mainly focuses on drugs if I recall correctly and was straightforward. However, the C1 past paper was hard as there was so much emphasis on my weaker topics in C1 but having looked the grade boundaries for that ... Grade C is 17 marks whist a Grade B is 27 marks there's still hope as I didn't do that badly.

Tomorrow, I have a Maths Non Calculator and French Listening, Reading and maybe a writing task for my mock exams.

I had a C1 Exam a week ago. I am glad to say that I obtained full marks, how everyone, I am unsure of how the P1 exam will turn out. I'm sure you will achieve a good grade with the effort you have seemed to put in. Good luck with the rest of your Mock Exams.
Reply 169
Original post by Dawud84
I had a C1 Exam a week ago. I am glad to say that I obtained full marks, how everyone, I am unsure of how the P1 exam will turn out. I'm sure you will achieve a good grade with the effort you have seemed to put in. Good luck with the rest of your Mock Exams.

Thanks for wishing me luck.
Reply 170
Update 25/11/15

Today I had a Maths Non Calculator exam which was quite hard for the majority but I think I did alright, at least better than the set above me as I know a few will move down to give me a seat depending on their performance in the exam. Tomorrow, I have the worst day of all as I have three exams all day and I'll be annoyed to have cold lunch again if the Computing A451 exam over runs.
Reply 171
Update 26/11/15

Today is the final day of my mock exams, it has been stressful so far this week with the exams as some went well whilst some other didn't really go well. Today I sat a Maths Calculator exam which was easy, the Computing A451 which turned out to be the exact same exam as I did for revision but I'm certain I didn't get full marks as I struggled at the questions nearer to the end of the paper. For B2 and P1 the exams where quite short but it was also a bit difficult but I don't think I did too bad.

Tomorrow, I still off timetable and I have a Work Experience workshop where I need to have my CV done and they've been kind to give us a CV template. Some rather foolishly wrote on the templates as employees etc usually want it printed.
Original post by JTran38
Update 26/11/15

Today is the final day of my mock exams, it has been stressful so far this week with the exams as some went well whilst some other didn't really go well. Today I sat a Maths Calculator exam which was easy, the Computing A451 which turned out to be the exact same exam as I did for revision but I'm certain I didn't get full marks as I struggled at the questions nearer to the end of the paper. For B2 and P1 the exams where quite short but it was also a bit difficult but I don't think I did too bad.

Tomorrow, I still off timetable and I have a Work Experience workshop where I need to have my CV done and they've been kind to give us a CV template. Some rather foolishly wrote on the templates as employees etc usually want it printed.

Ooh that sounds like a lot of hard work. Hopefully you have got out what you put in and more.

Keep it up! :rave::rave::rave:
Reply 173
Original post by SeanFM
Ooh that sounds like a lot of hard work. Hopefully you have got out what you put in and more.

Keep it up! :rave::rave::rave:

Thanks @SeanFM , it's been a difficult week so far as I have to deal with people winding me up about the mock exams but they didn't get into my way. Yes, I have put in a lot of hard work for this and I'm awaiting for the results hopefully ready by a fortnight.
Original post by JTran38
Thanks @SeanFM , it's been a difficult week so far as I have to deal with people winding me up about the mock exams but they didn't get into my way. Yes, I have put in a lot of hard work for this and I'm awaiting for the results hopefully ready by a fortnight.

Gah, kids, am I right? :wink: Good luck! :borat:
Reply 175
Update 27/11/15

Today I had a Work Experience workshop where I had people talking about application forms, health and safety, finding work experience placements and CV as well as a mock interview which didn't go too well. They guy was grilling me with questions and was making notes as he read my CV. I also had an unexpected early finish today which is great as I can come home early and avoid the rush hour if I was to leave at the normal time.

I have since edited my CV and made it 100 times better and will be looking for work experience placements soon as I have now finished my mock exams and that I'm currently not busy.
Reply 176
Update 30/11/15

Today wasn't too bad. For English, we were given one of those lengthy starter tasks again as she began marking our mock exams from last week as they made Year 11 the priority which is self explanatory. For Maths, it was a slow start as I had to wait for people to do their green pen in their books before starting off with bearings which is a bit confusing. For History, it was a complete disaster as she wasn't organised and I almost did last lesson's work again if one of my class mates didn't mention that to the teacher. I spent the lesson just doing the starter and putting in loose sheets of paper in my book which wasn't easy as there was so much paper to tag in, I'd rather put it in an external folder.
Reply 177
Update 01/12/15

Today was a better day despite the fact that I had the dreaded double computing. Computing was quite boring with the A452 CA on JavaScript, I sat there struggling for most of the lesson and decided to just attempt the question and evidence it and move on as I spent weeks on it and it still doesn't make sense. The task starts off with two random buttons which then asks you to create an array for a list of variables and someone this links with a bloody traffic light sequence. For French, I had parts of my results for the recent assessment read out (there's many parts to it), I got predicted an A* for the Writing CA I did 29/30 which is the highest in the class. This will be added to the Speaking, Listening and Reading stuff I did and it's a bit confusing to take in but I happy with my progress in French. For Physics, we did Waves for the first half of the lesson before we had an external supply teacher because my teacher had to go somewhere. The external supply was just horrible as she was shouting (claims that she has a loud voice) and it was complete torture as she didn't know how to use the computer properly and was so b****. It seems that she was able to play annoying 60's music or whatever on Youtube and it sounded awful, we'll at least that is what I think. As the bell went, I just legged it out of the classroom as I couldn't stand it any longer with this music and her presence. We we're suppose to complete work on speed but failed to as she got carried away and was a complete disaster.

Today I was also issued my new locker key as I'm now based on the top floor with my year group, I'm not sure whether I have the key for top locker but I hope so as I hate the bottom lockers.
Original post by JTran38
Update 01/12/15

Today was a better day despite the fact that I had the dreaded double computing. Computing was quite boring with the A452 CA on JavaScript, I sat there struggling for most of the lesson and decided to just attempt the question and evidence it and move on as I spent weeks on it and it still doesn't make sense. The task starts off with two random buttons which then asks you to create an array for a list of variables and someone this links with a bloody traffic light sequence. For French, I had parts of my results for the recent assessment read out (there's many parts to it), I got predicted an A* for the Writing CA I did 29/30 which is the highest in the class. This will be added to the Speaking, Listening and Reading stuff I did and it's a bit confusing to take in but I happy with my progress in French. For Physics, we did Waves for the first half of the lesson before we had an external supply teacher because my teacher had to go somewhere. The external supply was just horrible as she was shouting (claims that she has a loud voice) and it was complete torture as she didn't know how to use the computer properly and was so b****. It seems that she was able to play annoying 60's music or whatever on Youtube and it sounded awful, we'll at least that is what I think. As the bell went, I just legged it out of the classroom as I couldn't stand it any longer with this music and her presence. We we're suppose to complete work on speed but failed to as she got carried away and was a complete disaster.

Today I was also issued my new locker key as I'm now based on the top floor with my year group, I'm not sure whether I have the key for top locker but I hope so as I hate the bottom lockers.

Glad your French went well :smile: I find with computing, I you leave it then you get home and find out what it is and go oooh that was obvious but we all got told to write ours at home so I can just compare them. I hate it when teachers can't use a computer. I'm like you've qualified as a teacher and you have no clue how to use the thing that your students spend most their lives on...
We don't get lockers once we're past year 9 but there's about 110 or so lockers which are usable for the whole of year 7-8-9 to fight over (Pan is 360 although we're not full) Year 7 get priority though
Reply 179
Original post by Lemur14
Glad your French went well :smile: I find with computing, I you leave it then you get home and find out what it is and go oooh that was obvious but we all got told to write ours at home so I can just compare them. I hate it when teachers can't use a computer. I'm like you've qualified as a teacher and you have no clue how to use the thing that your students spend most their lives on...
We don't get lockers once we're past year 9 but there's about 110 or so lockers which are usable for the whole of year 7-8-9 to fight over (Pan is 360 although we're not full) Year 7 get priority though

Yeah, I'm glad French is going well for me as I'm fortunate to have the same teacher for many years and I'm sure that'll continue. Computing is just a nightmare with OCR as the A452 on JavaScript I have doesn't even make sense to me and I wished I was with AQA, you guys sound like you're making a lot of progress through the CA.

Yes, qualified teacher not knowing how to use a flipping computer isn't a great start and so is not being able to do Maths at a minimum of Grade C etc.

Latest