The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kim-Jong-Illest
not true, people have elevated apple products to become status symbols tbh. people still blindly buy apple products all the time just for the reason that they look cool or because their mates have them.

was jokin tho

Yeah but if I find out you bought one cause your mate has it then I'd think you're a ****

(you as in general not you)
Original post by Rk2k14
😆💩@swirly @SA-1Diss these fools in code lel.

On iPhone now. Lmao I seeee it 😂 👀 O sweet technology.

Promised myself I wouldn't stay up this late, sigh.
Original post by jam277
I'd rather have a nice car and pay 10k extra than pay 10k for a nice watch anyway.

people spending 10k on a watch don't have to make the choice
Had a dream about peeing all over my neighbour's lounge.

felt empowering tbh.
Reply 1464
Original post by swirly
Had a dream about peeing all over my neighbour's lounge.

felt empowering tbh.

Did you pee in real life while you dreamt this?

Don't bull**** pls, we won't judge a young man wetting his bed.

These things happen..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AR_95
Yeah but if I find out you bought one cause your mate has it then I'd think you're a ****

(you as in general not you)

Agreed
Hate Apple fanboys so much

Posted from TSR Mobile
Of course people buy things to elevate their status.

HP laptops are more often that not better than MacBooks, but still people would pay a **** load extra for the latter.
Brand loyalty?
Or are they just paying for the brand to look slick?
The idea that MacBooks are overpriced is a fallacy anyway. Nobody claims that iPhones are particularly overpriced, because they're more or less the same price as the Samsung Galaxy phones, the top HTC models, etc. You don't compare them with the moto g because that's a budget smartphone.

Yet everybody compares the MacBook with budget laptops. There are plenty of laptops out there that are equal to the MacBook in terms of performance, build quality, battery life and design, yes. That's true. And they will all cost you over a grand. The MacBook is more or less the same price as its competitors. Budget laptops are not its competitors.

Whether the average user really needs a luxury laptop is a different argument, but that's their decision really isn't it?

For the record, I'm not an Apple fanboy at all, but I've used lots of different brands of electronics and the MacBook Pro is easily worth the money for me. I probably could have got a similar, non-Mac alternative for a couple of hundred quid less but I hate Windows and I like OSx so I didn't mind paying the difference. I don't use an iPhone because I hate iOS and the hardware on the one I once had was constantly breaking. Android ftw.
I've used a mac for years, long before anyone else I knew used one (back pre full Intel). I'm not going to change while the alternative daily OS is Windows. Most people I know who use Mac's don't tend to be raving over the hardware, its the software that people pay the premium for. Apple know that, hence why they lock it to their over prices machines. If I could as easily run OSX on another brand of hardware I certainly would, but I can't be dealing with Hackingtosh.
Also have a Mac btw, just raised the issue which many people seem to have regarding the brand.
Original post by e aí rapaz
The idea that MacBooks are overpriced is a fallacy anyway. Nobody claims that iPhones are particularly overpriced, because they're more or less the same price as the Samsung Galaxy phones, the top HTC models, etc. You don't compare them with the moto g because that's a budget smartphone.

Yet everybody compares the MacBook with budget laptops. There are plenty of laptops out there that are equal to the MacBook in terms of performance, build quality, battery life and design, yes. That's true. And they will all cost you over a grand. The MacBook is more or less the same price as its competitors. Budget laptops are not its competitors.

Whether the average user really needs a luxury laptop is a different argument, but that's their decision really isn't it?

For the record, I'm not an Apple fanboy at all, but I've used lots of different brands of electronics and the MacBook Pro is easily worth the money for me. I probably could have got a similar, non-Mac alternative for a couple of hundred quid less but I hate Windows and I like OSx so I didn't mind paying the difference. I don't use an iPhone because I hate iOS and the hardware on the one I once had was constantly breaking. Android ftw.

iPhones are massively overpriced
Original post by Zerforax
iPhones are massively overpriced

How so? Among its competitors, the Apple iPhone 6 costs £450, the Samsung Galaxy S6 costs 450, the HTC One M9 costs 500, the Sony Xperia Z5 costs 550.
Its lessened now with things like Spotify, but iTunes always used to be deal breaker for me with the iPhone. Any cost saving from moving is then wiped out if you need to buy a separate iPod. Not sure my next phone will be an iPhone now though, but probably won't be a the equivalently priced Samsung or HTC. Might just get the latest Google offering.
Just bought a brown blazer for a tenner at Oxfam. Quality is unreal tbf

that+chinos+suade shoes=acceptable?

must avoid 'the Alan Partridge' at all costs
(edited 8 years ago)
''JET from Gladiators to host a milenium barndance at Yeovil Aerodrome....

must not, repeat not, turn into an all night rave''
Original post by Fizzel
Its lessened now with things like Spotify, but iTunes always used to be deal breaker for me with the iPhone. Any cost saving from moving is then wiped out if you need to buy a separate iPod. Not sure my next phone will be an iPhone now though, but probably won't be a the equivalently priced Samsung or HTC. Might just get the latest Google offering.

I have the Nexus 5 and it's so much better than the iPhone I used to have. Quicker, easier to use, less crashes, still physically works (my iphone home button broke after a year). My next phone will either be another Nexus, or the OnePlus 2, if I can get an invite.
Original post by e aí rapaz
How so? Among its competitors, the Apple iPhone 6 costs £450, the Samsung Galaxy S6 costs 450, the HTC One M9 costs 500, the Sony Xperia Z5 costs 550.

The iPhone 6S is the latest model which is £540?

Anyway that's interesting to know. I haven't looked at phones recently but when I looked last year, the iPhone contracts were typically £40+ whereas the Samsung contracts were £25-35+

iPads are also pretty expensive to comparable tablets.

There's a reason why Apple is the most profitable company in the world - because there build in a huge margin which means there products are more expensive.
Samsung the best phones. Hardly ever hear people bitchin about the software.

Also connect to TV. Just cos. :colone:
Original post by Zerforax
The iPhone 6S is the latest model which is £540?

True but that would be a slightly unfair comparison, given that its a brand new model and the others aren't. Even so, 540 is hardly outrageously high in comparison to the competition.

iPads are also pretty expensive to comparable tablets.

There's a reason why Apple is the most profitable company in the world - because there build in a huge margin which means there products are more expensive.

It's also because they are very successful at making the average consumer want their high-end products and building customer-loyalty to the point of fanaticism. Compared to other top-of-the-line laptops, phones and tablets, they're around the same price, maybe a little more expensive. Most people just didn't feel the need to always have the latest and most top-of-the-line devices before Apple came along. Now people queue around the block for a new model that can hardly be differentiated from the previous one, which they've only owned for a year anyway.

It doesn't mean Apple products are overpriced, or not good value for money, or not top-quality products. It just means that their marketing department are geniuses and people are stupid.
Original post by Zürich
Just bought a brown blazer for a tenner at Oxfam. Quality is unreal tbf

that+chinos+suade shoes=acceptable?

must avoid 'the Alan Partridge' at all costs

Could work.
That you yeah.:wink: Slaying all night long.

Latest