The Student Room Group

Civil Service Investigation/ Intelligence Officer Role

Scroll to see replies

In HMRC "unsocial hours" generally means between 20:00 and 22:00...except for Intelligence Officer posts which can be (and often is at short notice) 24/7. Just to give you an idea, I'm supposed to work 148 hours in a 4 week period, in the last complete 4 weeks, I've done 275 hours, none of which over the 148 I'll be paid for because the annual allowance covers that.
Reply 21
Original post by Investigator
In HMRC "unsocial hours" generally means between 20:00 and 22:00...except for Intelligence Officer posts which can be (and often is at short notice) 24/7. Just to give you an idea, I'm supposed to work 148 hours in a 4 week period, in the last complete 4 weeks, I've done 275 hours, none of which over the 148 I'll be paid for because the annual allowance covers that.

Ah yes, there was a document attached to the job advert which stated up to how many additional hours one may need to work, including the allowance for different tiers. According to the document new recruits would start on the base tier and no additional hours are stated. But for the intermediate tier it does state up to 250 hours of additional hours per annum and the allowance is also greater, more than double that of an officer on the base tier. This is from the document. I don't work for the civil service, so I don't know how accurate and up to date the document is. :s-smilie:
I just got an e-mail about an hour ago asking me to book an interview for the investigator/intelligence officer role! :woo:

Original post by Attercop
Congratulations on the interview for the tax professional role. :smile:

Thanks :smile: I hope you got the same e-mail about the investigator/intelligence role!
Congratulations Lucy! Me too!

Original post by lucywils82
I just got an e-mail about an hour ago asking me to book an interview for the investigator/intelligence officer role! :woo:

Thanks :smile: I hope you got the same e-mail about the investigator/intelligence role!
Reply 24

I did! Congratulations! 😊

I am very nervous about the interview. I think they said it would be scenario based? So they would give scenarios and ask what we would do in said situation. Aaaaaggghhh nerve wracking. I've never had such an interview.
Congratulations guys!! :happy2:
Reply 26
Just thought I would ask if anyone can see feedback on their account? I can't. It is a shame because I would like to read my feedback and also they did state in the email that they had uploaded it. :s-smilie:
Reply 27
Original post by OneJuanMata
I'm in Belfast. Still waiting to hear about booking my interview. When are the interviews out of curiosity?

Mid-October to mid-November, every week day.
Congrats everyone! :biggrin:

I am very nervous about the interview. I think they said it would be scenario based? So they would give scenarios and ask what we would do in said situation. Aaaaaggghhh nerve wracking. I've never had such an interview.

Yeah the interview is a bit daunting! Especially since all we know about it is 'this will be a series of scenarios you will be asked to decide a course of action and explain your reasoning.'. I wonder if it'll be like a situational judgement test with random hypothetical situations or whether it'll be scenarios actually related to the job we'll be doing :confused:. All of my civil service interviews so far have been competency based so I have no idea what to expect either. It certainly doesn't seem like anything you can prepare for.
Reply 29
Congrats everyone! :biggrin:

Yeah the interview is a bit daunting! Especially since all we know about it is 'this will be a series of scenarios you will be asked to decide a course of action and explain your reasoning.'. I wonder if it'll be like a situational judgement test with random hypothetical situations or whether it'll be scenarios actually related to the job we'll be doing :confused:. All of my civil service interviews so far have been competency based so I have no idea what to expect either. It certainly doesn't seem like anything you can prepare for.

The scenarios must be related to the competencies. :smile: So I think making sure you have solid competency answers will be useful.
Reply 30
So, not scenario based after all. It is based on the three competencies. :smile:
What three competencies do you have to do for your interview? Did you pick October or November for it? Bet the nerves are kicking in now. I'm still waiting hear back to see when/where the interviews are. On the vacancy it said interviews early November! :smile:
Reply 32
Original post by rebecca_:)
What three competencies do you have to do for your interview? Did you pick October or November for it? Bet the nerves are kicking in now. I'm still waiting hear back to see when/where the interviews are. On the vacancy it said interviews early November! :smile:

Seeing the big picture, making effective decisions and managing a quality service. I chose November because I have an interview in 2 weeks for something unrelated to the Civil Service. I guess that interview will be good practise. :smile: Yes, I am definitely nervous but also intrigued. I've never had a competency based interview; it will be a useful experience.

How many competencies do you have to cover for your interview? You applied to the other role, right? Good luck with it! It is all to do with good preparation and a pinch of luck. :tongue:
These are the three we have to do: Making Effective Decisions, Collaborating and Partnering, Leading and Communicating. Yeah, I applied for the other one; just eagerly awaiting a date! A pinch of luck definitely goes a long way :tongue:
Reply 34
Hello all,

I have an interview schedule tomorrow, for anyone who has had the interview, is it possible to provide any advice?

I understand it is a series of scenarios, related to the 3 lead competencies.

I have studied the EO effective and ineffective behaviours in depth and have a solid understanding of the competency, however, there is virtually no information on the web or hmrc site that can come close to preparing any one for this role!

I have seen on other forums related to a separate Exec Officer role that many candidates were supposed to get emailed a candidate information pack, however, I have not been able to find anything related to that for this role.

However, I do not believe it is that relevant for this role. There are tips on the doc about using STAR when answering questions in the interview which I guess is quiet a useful tip.

If any person has had the interview already can provide any feedback or tips this would be much appreciated.

Best of luck to all you that have interviews coming up!
Reply 35
Original post by MSP_123
Hello all,

I have an interview schedule tomorrow, for anyone who has had the interview, is it possible to provide any advice?

I understand it is a series of scenarios, related to the 3 lead competencies.

I have studied the EO effective and ineffective behaviours in depth and have a solid understanding of the competency, however, there is virtually no information on the web or hmrc site that can come close to preparing any one for this role!

I have seen on other forums related to a separate Exec Officer role that many candidates were supposed to get emailed a candidate information pack, however, I have not been able to find anything related to that for this role.

However, I do not believe it is that relevant for this role. There are tips on the doc about using STAR when answering questions in the interview which I guess is quiet a useful tip.

If any person has had the interview already can provide any feedback or tips this would be much appreciated.

Best of luck to all you that have interviews coming up!

Hi,

Firstly good luck with your interview tomorrow! :smile: Do let us know how it goes.
Secondly, have you been receiving emails from CS? They sent an email saying the interview is actually competency based despite what they had written on the job advert so they will be testing you against the three competencies. You should really study the competencies and think up potential questions and practise answers using the STAR technique. Keep lots of back up examples too!
Sorry I cannot be of any more help but I have not attended an interview for this role.

Good luck.

P.S Don't forget all your documents and forms.
Reply 36
Hi,

Firstly good luck with your interview tomorrow! :smile: Do let us know how it goes.
Secondly, have you been receiving emails from CS? They sent an email saying the interview is actually competency based despite what they had written on the job advert so they will be testing you against the three competencies. You should really study the competencies and think up potential questions and practise answers using the STAR technique. Keep lots of back up examples too!
Sorry I cannot be of any more help but I have not attended an interview for this role.

Good luck.

P.S Don't forget all your documents and forms.

Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply, very kind of you. I manage to find an excellent document that others may find useful.

I googled: civil service competency interview

And a document created by the civil service resourcing team has been created, with potential competency questions for 2 of the 3 lead comptancies that are being examined.

Best of luck to all
Reply 37
Hi all!

Did anyone else who applied for the tax professional/operational delivery caseworker get the email this morning about booking interviews? After following this post for a few weeks now, I was expecting to get a little more information about what type of interview will it be, is it competency based (which it most likely is) or something else or information regarding what competencies will be assessed like you all received for the intelligence officer roles! Did I miss this information or is the only competency required for this role making effective decisions? :s

Thanks in advanceeee!
Reply 38
Original post by MSP_123
Hi,

Thanks so much for your reply, very kind of you. I manage to find an excellent document that others may find useful.

I googled: civil service competency interview

And a document created by the civil service resourcing team has been created, with potential competency questions for 2 of the 3 lead comptancies that are being examined.

Best of luck to all

No problem.
Thanks for the tip, it is greatly appreciated. :smile:

Good luck for tomorrow!
Reply 39
Original post by Montsz
Hi all!

Did anyone else who applied for the tax professional/operational delivery caseworker get the email this morning about booking interviews? After following this post for a few weeks now, I was expecting to get a little more information about what type of interview will it be, is it competency based (which it most likely is) or something else or information regarding what competencies will be assessed like you all received for the intelligence officer roles! Did I miss this information or is the only competency required for this role making effective decisions? :s

Thanks in advanceeee!

Did you not have to write statements for three competencies for the application? Usually they assess you on the competencies you had to demonstrate in the application form.

Also, for the intelligence officer roles we received an email quite a few days after booking interview slots regarding what competencies we would be tested on and the type of interview etc which I think we received in response to a candidate asking questions. So maybe you will hear something in due course. Otherwise you could email CS resourcing and ask. There is no harm in doing so. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending