The Student Room Group

Civil Service Investigation/ Intelligence Officer Role

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by MSP_123
Hello Attercop,

Apologises for the delayed response, I was away from the office yesterday and was unable to reply.

To answer your questions:

1a) The interviewed lasted approx 45/50 mins, started earlier then my expected time as the previous candidate had left early, however, they explained they would be keeping an eye on the clock as they wanted to be fair on all candidates.

1b) They clearer stated there would be questions on the 3 competencies, to be honest it was a slight blur but they asked approx 3/4 questions on each competency.

2) Practising potential questions based upon my previous skills and experiences were a massive help and definitely the way forward for this interview.

3) The only forms required for this role are the pension and character enquiry correct. Also, don't forget the passport photo. If you have bank statements that are on line you need to take it to the bank and get it stamped.

Cheers,

Thanks a lot for answering my questions! :smile: I feel a lot more comfortable going in now that there are fewer unknowns. My bank statements are all printed so that should be okay and I have spare passport sized photos.

I feel a bit excited about the interview.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 61
Original post by MSP_123
Hi Jav,

Firstly thanks for sending the link and apologises I have not been able to properly view the link due to being away for work. The link unfortunately does not work, would you be able to tell me the full thread name regarding the tax position?

I tried searching however, I am new to student room and was unable to filter through correctly.

Regards,

If you scroll up while on this thread you will see "You are here" and links in blue text. Click on "Public sector". You will be taken to a new page. Then scroll down and you will see a thread for the tax role at HMRC. Sorry, I don't know how to attach links. :P
Reply 62
Original post by Attercop
Thanks a lot for answering my questions! :smile: I feel a lot more comfortable going in now that there are fewer unknowns. My bank statements are all printed so that should be okay and I have spare passport sized photos.

I feel a bit excited about the interview. :biggrin:

Excellent best of luck!!!!! :smile:
Reply 63
Original post by MSP_123
Hello Attercop,

Apologises for the delayed response, I was away from the office yesterday and was unable to reply.

To answer your questions:

1a) The interviewed lasted approx 45/50 mins, started earlier then my expected time as the previous candidate had left early, however, they explained they would be keeping an eye on the clock as they wanted to be fair on all candidates.

1b) They clearer stated there would be questions on the 3 competencies, to be honest it was a slight blur but they asked approx 3/4 questions on each competency.

2) Practising potential questions based upon my previous skills and experiences were a massive help and definitely the way forward for this interview.

3) The only forms required for this role are the pension and character enquiry correct. Also, don't forget the passport photo. If you have bank statements that are on line you need to take it to the bank and get it stamped.

Cheers,

Hi,

I have an interview for this too and I was wondering did your interview turn out to be fully competency based or was it based on scenarios? Did you have to just give three examples of when you've shown the competencies and they asked follow up questions or was it a lot of scenario questions like 'If you were dealing with a difficult customer what would you do?'

Thanks!!
Reply 64
Hi everyone! Just had my interview. It was based on the 3 competencies and had typical interview questions such as "describe a time you had to work in a team to complete a task within a set deadline" etc

I had 2 people interview me and they were lovely! Good luck everyone :smile:
Reply 65
Original post by Glorzz
Hi everyone! Just had my interview. It was based on the 3 competencies and had typical interview questions such as "describe a time you had to work in a team to complete a task within a set deadline" etc

I had 2 people interview me and they were lovely! Good luck everyone :smile:

Hi, glad to hear the panel is really nice.

The question you mentioned seems more related to the competency "delivering at pace" than the ones they mentioned on the job advert, which is a bit worrying. I will have to have lots of examples floating around my head. :tongue:

Well, I hope we are all successful! You must be glad to have your interview out of the way. Not long to go before I have mine!
Hi. Just a quick query- when you gave your example to "describe a time you had to work in a team to complete a task within a set deadline" how long was your example? Not sure what is too long and what is too short?! Thanks
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 67
Original post by rebecca_:)
Hi. Just a quick query- when you gave your example to "describe a time you had to work in a team to complete a task within a set deadline" how long was your example? Not sure what is too long and what is too short?! Thanks

That's one of my worries too. What is too long and what is too short?

I am worried that I will freeze/ won't have a decent example! Do you think it is best to just come up with one more big example for each competency and use those alongside the ones I used for my application form? I don't even know how I will remember all my examples. :colondollar:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 68
Hi everyone,

I just came across this thread and have found it to be extremely helpful. I also have an interview coming up. I wanted to ask whether during the interview they test you on the three competencies based on the examples you gave in the application form or ask for different examples?

Many thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by AM30
Hi everyone,

I just came across this thread and have found it to be extremely helpful. I also have an interview coming up. I wanted to ask whether during the interview they test you on the three competencies based on the examples you gave in the application form or ask for different examples?

Hi

I too have my interview this week, I believe that in answer to your question you may be tested on your competencies from your application form so Get to know the answers you put, secondly, I have been practising with "mock" questions as a back up. As long as you are familiar with the CS Competency Framework I am sure you will breeze it . Hope this helps and good luck :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by AM30
Hi everyone,

I think it is a good idea to remember very well what you wrote on the application form but also to come up with more examples you can draw on if you feel the need to. Just to be on the safe side.
Reply 71
Hi everyone. I say come up with new examples because they have your application form in front of them.

With the answers do not make them too long because they pull them out and ask further questions anyway but get to the point! . They prompt you using STAR.

Good luck!
Reply 72
Original post by Glorzz
Hi everyone. I say come up with new examples because they have your application form in front of them.

With the answers do not make them too long because they pull them out and ask further questions anyway but get to the point! . They prompt you using STAR.

Good luck!

What if for one competency all my examples are from working at company A?
(edited 8 years ago)
I think for my interview I'm going to go mainly with the examples I used on the application form (with a couple of back ups in case I need them but hopefully I won't) because a) if they got me to the interview they can't be awful and b) the word limit on the application form was so small that it wasn't a proper example of showing that competency anyway; there's loads more I can say about each one. I understand the point that they're going to have already read it but I think as long as you can go into a lot more detail about it then it'll be fine. I think a good rule is if the example you used on the form is your best example it's better to stick with that but if you've thought of a better one then use that instead.

From experience I know they score on each example separate to your application form anyway - the application form is often only used to get you to interview - so if you have a several examples of working in a team and you put one on your application but talk about another one in the interview you don't get extra marks for having more than one example, they'll just mark you on that one example at interview.

I've had a few civil service interviews and for the role I'm in now I used the same examples at interview as I did when I filled in the application form. For another interview I had I went in there and used different examples and they were surprised and asked me further questions on the examples I'd used on my form instead! (that was a bit awkward :redface:) and then I had an interview with two people who hadn't even looked personally at the examples I gave on the form.

The main thing is the competency framework, that's what I've been focusing on when I've been preparing, you have to pretty much spell out how you meet each bullet point. So even if something seems obvious I'm trying to remember to say it anyway otherwise you don't get a little tick to say you've shown it :sigh:
Reply 74
Original post by lucywils82
I think for my interview I'm going to go mainly with the examples I used on the application form (with a couple of back ups in case I need them but hopefully I won't) because a) if they got me to the interview they can't be awful and b) the word limit on the application form was so small that it wasn't a proper example of showing that competency anyway; there's loads more I can say about each one. I understand the point that they're going to have already read it but I think as long as you can go into a lot more detail about it then it'll be fine. I think a good rule is if the example you used on the form is your best example it's better to stick with that but if you've thought of a better one then use that instead.

From experience I know they score on each example separate to your application form anyway - the application form is often only used to get you to interview - so if you have a several examples of working in a team and you put one on your application but talk about another one in the interview you don't get extra marks for having more than one example, they'll just mark you on that one example at interview.

I've had a few civil service interviews and for the role I'm in now I used the same examples at interview as I did when I filled in the application form. For another interview I had I went in there and used different examples and they were surprised and asked me further questions on the examples I'd used on my form instead! (that was a bit awkward :redface:) and then I had an interview with two people who hadn't even looked personally at the examples I gave on the form.

The main thing is the competency framework, that's what I've been focusing on when I've been preparing, you have to pretty much spell out how you meet each bullet point. So even if something seems obvious I'm trying to remember to say it anyway otherwise you don't get a little tick to say you've shown it :sigh:

So I had better know my application form inside out.

I thought they would ask for examples for three of the bullet points under that one competency so you are effectively asked for three different examples for each bullet point question.

Also some of the competencies overlap. So if giving an answer for competency A you also give good evidence for competency B too, do you know if they tick that off for competency B as well as A?
(edited 8 years ago)
HMRC seems to be putting this little passage of text in all the recent job adverts:

HMRC is transforming and by 2020/21 most of our workforce will be based in a network of regional centres in large urban areas. No further detail is available now, although we expect to announce where the sites will be in each region during November. This means that the role you are applying for may be moved to a different location at some point in the future.

Interesting. :smile: wondering where these sites will be!?
Hi everyone, I had my interview for the Intelligence Officer yesterday, I won't repeat what has already been said about the interviews, mine was exactly same as everyone elses :smile: what I will add is that I was told I should get a response from them by December. Good luck everyone, stay calm during your interview and be confident :smile:
Reply 77
Original post by Jane0804
Hi everyone, I had my interview for the Intelligence Officer yesterday, I won't repeat what has already been said about the interviews, mine was exactly same as everyone elses :smile: what I will add is that I was told I should get a response from them by December. Good luck everyone, stay calm during your interview and be confident :smile:

Good luck, Jane0804!
Eeeeeek I am so nervous!! I will try and stay as calm and collected as possible. Did they not discuss which role you would prefer, intelligence or investigative officer? They did say they would ask. To be honest, I don't mind either. :tongue:
Yeah they did, I was swaying towards the investigative role before the interview & then once they explained in detail both roles I wanted to do intelligence. To be honest I'm a lot like you, both roles sound really interesting so I don't mind which :smile:. I think they will basically just match you to one anyway depending on what attributes you have.
Reply 79
Original post by Jane0804
Yeah they did, I was swaying towards the investigative role before the interview & then once they explained in detail both roles I wanted to do intelligence. To be honest I'm a lot like you, both roles sound really interesting so I don't mind which :smile:. I think they will basically just match you to one anyway depending on what attributes you have.

I am looking forward to finding out more about the roles at my interview now...

Quick Reply

Latest